What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Re: What did you do today?

Post by xtriple »

Diesel.

Fill it with the horrible stuff, leave it for a day or 7 and then start tweaking the crank with a BIG spanner.

I was gifted a Chinese pit bike 4 wheeler thing with a Honda copy engine that had been left outside for years and was seized solid. Worked a treat and the youngest (Sammy, I do miss her) had much fun flying around on it
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

Also, I did do wash the car, with both water (from my new 100foot long hose!) and one bucket filled with wash and wax, maybe only one bucket but two sponges! :)

I dried it and put the roof down and when I just put the roof back up, the poxy carbon fibre I put on the 'C' pillars has gone all milky in places. Seems to be drying out okay but why did it do that?
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

Ran the VW T2, eventually.

First of all the alarm must have been triggered overnight, although we didn't hear it, so I had to go through all the arm/disarm/arm/ disarm cycle and then switch the immobiliser on and off until it had finished freaking out.
It started ok but then I noticed a tyre was a bit flat so I switched off and pumped it up.

Bad mistake. The automatic choke does not like the engine being switched off until it's gone through its full 'cycle' so I ended up tap dancing on the accelerator to keep it going. During all of this the button, on the gearlever, you depress to get reverse stuck so I found myself facing a stone wall from about 2" away without being certain that I was not going to go forward and with an engine that was on the verge of dying unless you gave it some welly. By using The Force as a third hand I managed to get into gear, control the handbrake and steer all at the same time.

After all of this it ran fine, thank God.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

I never switch mine off until the cooling fan cuts in. Otherwise it taps like a tappity fucking tap-dancing Talbot to show its displeasure the next time I use it. I've had that wall-of-death thing as well - once in the barn when I was what felt like millimetres from somebody's XK150.

Glad yours seems OK now! We have had a couple of nice al fresco dinners out in the New Forest these past few days, almost as good as a holiday.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
59Impala

Post by 59Impala »

I checked the Impala's tyre pressures and pumped up the fronts which had a lost a couple of pounds. Checked under the bonnet, okay hood, and all looks okay. Tomorrow weather permitting it's off to put some fresh fuel in it and give it a little bit of exercise as it hasn't been driven since September.
Nibblet

Post by Nibblet »

xtriple wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:27 pm Diesel.

Fill it with the horrible stuff, leave it for a day or 7 and then start tweaking the crank with a BIG spanner.

I was gifted a Chinese pit bike 4 wheeler thing with a Honda copy engine that had been left outside for years and was seized solid. Worked a treat and the youngest (Sammy, I do miss her) had much fun flying around on it
The V4 has a balance shaft with a puny 17mm nut on t'end so you can't bully it much, the end of the crank is hidden within. If I had the spline off a suitable gearbox I could rig up something at the other end to put a bit more torque on.
'Ever since the young men have owned motorcycles, incest has been dying out, and so has sodomy'.

'Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good."
Thomas Sowell
CLINT
Woke as fuck

Post by CLINT »

Also, you do know that the Saab V4 runs the opposite way to the Ford applications?
OMG U OK HUN?
Nibblet

Post by Nibblet »

Well the balance shaft does. The distributor is clockwise. I imagine the crank runs clockwise too so actually it effectively runs the same way as the other mills.
'Ever since the young men have owned motorcycles, incest has been dying out, and so has sodomy'.

'Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good."
Thomas Sowell
CLINT
Woke as fuck

Post by CLINT »

Ah ok. I was just repeating what the chap I sold my 96 to said. Then I thought if I put it on the worldwide web it would make it true
OMG U OK HUN?
Nibblet

Post by Nibblet »

Mmm- now ive re-read that. In Saab the balance shaft runs anti-clockwise....so in a Crapi the same V4 bance shaft and rest of Taunus engine does the opposite? Really?

Thomas Sowell