What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: What did you do today?

Post by SiC »

panhard65 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:30 pm I wouldn't bother with the vacuum pump as you can get into all sorts of bother messing around with R134. I am not sure how they get away with those kits as it is illegal to release R134 into the atmosphere so you need a machine to collect the old refrigerant before you can vacuum. You are also supposed to be qualified to handle the gas, fucking stupid course cost me £200. You really need to do a lot of them to make it worthwhile the last 12kg bottle cost me £175 and you are lucky if you can get all the 12kg out of them as they lose it over time once opened. The hoses that you find on ebay are also a complete load of shit and you will struggle to find decent adaptors. Proper hoses are about £130 each plus fittings. Bloody machine has cost me a fortune and probably still hasn't paid for itself.
I was thinking more for testing and repairing the system. I.e. on a system that is either vacuumed or empty. Then put it on the pump to see if it holds and repair if not. Once repaired, chuck it at a garage to put the expensive gas in. Maybe even a bit of UV die and sticking a refill can on to give some pressure to the system.

I've noticed most of the refill kits now have R290 as a "environmentally friendly" compatible alternative to R134a. R290 is essentially super clean propane and used in a lot of modern appliance. Presumably because of this and the smaller quantities, it doesn't need a license to handle the gas. I believe it's pretty much a drop in replacement to R134a, just needing to be a bit more careful with the flammability of it.

While I don't condone releasing refrigerant into the environment, for a long time air duster cans used for cleaning computer keyboards and the like were essentially R134a!
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Google "Agbogbloshie" before you worry about a few aircon top ups.....
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Propane has been used unofficially for ages for poverty top ups in Mexico and the States
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

Spent an age looking for the OBD port on the Jag, but couldn't find the bugger anywhere. Just Googled and now I know it's under a cover down by the pedals, I always thought they were supposed to be easy to access but it seems Jaguar don't want plebs finding/fucking around with their prestige (sic) motor cars.

Why was I looking you ask? Because the passenger airbag light was on. Bella had been dancing on the ceiling in the car and I 'think' in my haste to start the car and general grumpy mood I did things electrically before the car had finished its self-test process because the bloody light has disappeared again. Bugger as I spent a bomb on the correct scanner for the sod.

I still can't find the water leak either, it's not pressurising and the level hasn't droppedwhile parked and the two short ourneys it's just done hasn't moved the level, I hate things lie this, they worry me. Also there doesn't seem to be any pressure in the system but then, short journeys?
Drum
Not Your Average Hoarder

Post by Drum »

Swapped clutch pedal boxes and new master cylinder on the 109. Hopefully cured the sticking pedal problem.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

A bit of a contrast between the last two posts methinks.
+1 for old vehicles.
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

Yup, old cars are for winners... but aluminium doesn't rust... and I HATE rust! I also hate £630 a year tax and fussy electronics paint on bootlids that doesn't like sunshine and cream leather that is about as dog friendly as you would imagine.
AMCrebel
Officially Not Quite Totally Useless

Post by AMCrebel »

My car and I now smell like sheep.

This stuff was recommended by (amongst others) Red 5. I love my Disco and so hope I can keep the rust at bay for another year or two.
B7D5CA05-EE70-4886-8718-54A0C8D0DE84.jpeg
B7D5CA05-EE70-4886-8718-54A0C8D0DE84.jpeg (773.6 KiB) Viewed 425 times
A88AB3EF-F080-4F51-9A3A-256912933F31.jpeg
A88AB3EF-F080-4F51-9A3A-256912933F31.jpeg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 425 times
2005 Land Rover Discovery SE Manual
2003 Mercedes E320 Estate
1968 AMC Rebel SST Convertible
1967 AMC Rebel SST Convertible (for parts)
1994 Fleetwood Colchester 1850 EB

Hoping for roffle win :)
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

Just discovered (while searching for an errant bit of Parrot and missing OBD port) that the pedals in the Jag are electrically adjustable! Knob on the side of the steering column turns to 'pedals' setting so I had to press it right, it's the law? Behold, here cometh the pedalls (both brake and throttle) towards ye. So now that's something else to play with while driving to distract me from the tedious chore of actual... driving!

Also, cleaned the windows in the Jag and the Merc (only the inside) as I hate mucky windscreens at this time of year when the sun randomly enblights the screen and shows all the yucky bits.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

You might find it has his and her keys too. If so, putting the other key in may move everything to the previous position set. Just FYI if you open the door and unexpectedly find everything moving as the door is opened.