What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Re: What did you do today?

Post by mercrocker »

Wasted my time playing with the van again today....New relay made no difference to the electrical gremlins, despite removing the old one displaying a brief improvement. Seems like some kind of earthing fault within the cluster, going to start with some switch cleaner and move on from there. I'm not very good with electrics - give me a circuit tester and I will come up with three completely incorrect and unrelated diagnoses....

Pissed off at the £30 relay but I at least have a spare for the next time it hasn't packed up.....
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

mercrocker wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:58 pm
paulplom wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:52 pm . Where did I go wrong?

If anything like me probably pissing it up the wall having a bloody good time. My cars never got any better no matter how much I earned......
Exactly that. He never goes out and doesn't drink or smoke.
He does spend all his time in his massive garage. His new hobby is mopping cars and vans etc. It's very impressive the before and after pics and vids. I think he might have ocd.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

I made my choices long ago. I'm happy with 'em....!
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
Arthur Foxhake

Post by Arthur Foxhake »

mercrocker wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:58 pm
paulplom wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:52 pm . Where did I go wrong?

If anything like me probably pissing it up the wall having a bloody good time. My cars never got any better no matter how much I earned......
I inherited 5 figures last year, I still drive my Hilux Surf every day.
Granted, a few cars came and went while I was busy spending it all but, I stuck with my old faithful Surf.
The Mrs has a modern car now which I quite like but barely drive. All my day to day stuff is done in the Hilux, longer journeys, I generally take the Granvia, it doesn't vibrate at speed like the Hilux and is a better seating position.
If I want to go somewhere local, quickly, I take the Octavia, use the DSG gearbox and have fun doing it.
Seats are far too bucket like for long distance for me though, I'd rather take one of the old Toyotas.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

paulplom wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:52 pm Where did I go wrong?
Not invoicing
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

It's money in the bank man!
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

LynehamHerc wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:01 pm
Eddie Honda wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:31 pm
LynehamHerc wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:14 pm Inflation was far higher, we were paying about 19% on the mortgage on our new house.
Whilst inflation on payments tough at the time, does it not also inflate the debt pile away?
Not in our case. We had an endowment rather than repayment mortgage, which was pretty common then. We had a stabilised rate of 16% on which the monthly repayments were calculated so every year 3% was added onto our debt, not insignificant on a six figure mortgage.

The icing on the cake financially was my missus got pregnant a few months after we moved in so two salaries effectively became one and a bit. Then the First Gulf War kicked off and having a house with oil fired central heating and a similar AGA didn't help.

I'll stop now as it's developing into a parody of the Four Yorkshireman sketch except this is true.
I'm suffering the opposite problem. I can't get borrowing I can more than afford, because the SYSTEM.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

The common reply to this is to find a good mortgage broker as no doubt you've got nowhere with estate agents. I know that you could get foreign currency mortgages from some UK ones a few years ago, maybe try a UK broker? They will probably be a lot more lenient regarding affordability as well.

I'm sorry that I can't help any more at the moment as it's quite a few years since I had a mortgage.

Just ask if there's anything you think I might be able to help on apart from selling my gold bullion, that's sacrosanct.

Post by Guest »

paulplom wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:20 pm It's money in the bank man!
But not your bank, you are giving out interest free loans.

Can I have one?
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Yes, what boiler do you require. We need to get rid of that scarily inefficient aga for a start.