What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Re: What did you do today?

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

Sheddy wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:59 pm I have a few of these Nikki carbs, one is new, they were cheap as chips....unlike the Weber 36 which is a straight bolt on. So I'm going to stick with the Nikki examples, they all have the same baseplate dimensions and a few slight variations in the linkages which will be useful as there's not much space. I'm going to have to alter the original Saab rod linkages at the very least, I may have to change over to a cable operated accelerator, I also need to buy a choke cable and knob as the old single choke Fomoco carb had a coolant operated choke.
Bonus piccy of beermat gasket previously used.
Farted about with plenty of carbs before but never built linkages etc so any advice well received.
My current plan is to drill/tap the base of Nikki carb and threadlock in a piece of studding/bolt, then I can slot out the corners and it will fit reasonably well despite being undersize.
That'll run nicely.
Nibblet

Post by Nibblet »

A long haul today but the green un runs. Cut a couple of gaskets for the carb set up; modified the base of the carb by cutting slots into the four bolt holes. Of course the linkage was fouled in a couple of places so some mods were required there. The cable operation did not work, the spring return to the throttle mechanism on the carb is not strong enough to overcome the friction between cable and sleeve- even when well oiled. My plan now is to braze a meccano wheel about 2" diameter onto the original spindle linkage, if I drill a number of holes around it's periphery I will have various options for attaching a piece of unsleeved cable from the wheel to the quadrant on the carb.
Attachments
20200331_192317.jpg
20200331_192317.jpg (266.78 KiB) Viewed 3719 times
Last edited by Nibblet on Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
'Ever since the young men have owned motorcycles, incest has been dying out, and so has sodomy'.

'Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good."
Thomas Sowell
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Aah, my post has been removed. Sweet.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

The Reverend Bluejeans wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:02 pm Aah, my post has been removed. Sweet.
Hooli what have you done?
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

DodgeRover wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:08 pm
The Reverend Bluejeans wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:02 pm Aah, my post has been removed. Sweet.
Hooli what have you done?
Nothing!

What post? where?
Private signature, do not read
Nibblet

Post by Nibblet »

Anyways, I had set the timing wrong at first; I set the rockers so the valves on No1 were both closed, forgetting that is the beginning of the compression stroke, so piston at it's lowest point, should then have stuck a bit of wire down the No1 plug hole to get TDC. I guessed it and it runs, tomorrow I'll set the speed and get a timing light on it.
Further jobs to do are to clean up the rad cap and expansion tank cap, attempt to find a curved bit of hose to fit the rocker cover on the nearside, route the fuel hose and filter safely away from the nearside exhaust manifold. Then I can get the exhaust back box on and begin to turn it back into a moving car again. It's a relief getting it this far after 4 years off and on working on it.
Attachments
20200331_192239.jpg
20200331_192239.jpg (358.15 KiB) Viewed 3724 times
'Ever since the young men have owned motorcycles, incest has been dying out, and so has sodomy'.

'Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good."
Thomas Sowell
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

Remind me, V4 Saab? I never keep track of who's doing what unless there is a thread dedicated to it.
Nibblet

Post by Nibblet »

Yep, not much else it could be other than a V4 Capri or Transit.

Thomas Sowell
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

Must be nice to know it's alive again.

Didn't they do a V4 Corsair too?
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt