What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
AutoshiteBoy

Re: What did you do today?

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

Alf892 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:30 pm Isn't copaslip on aloominuminim considered a no no (by some)these days? Higher up the galvanic wotsit or some such.
Theres certainly alternatives out there which are cheap enough.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

Hooli wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:44 pm Today I said bugger quite loudly when taking the front wheel out of my 14 to get the tyres swapped.

FB_IMG_1611333622305.jpg

Thankfully after soaking it in WD40 & ignoring it till I got back with the tyres it came out with mole grips. I was expecting hours of difficulty sorting it & was rather surprised how easy it was sorted.

FB_IMG_1611333614623.jpg
Did you run a tap down that after or at least inspect how much thread was left in the carrier as it looks like there's quite a bit of ally on the old bolt? I always tend to give bolts like that a good twatting before trying to loosen them and then try and tighten it a touch. A trick an old gardener taught me as a teenager when he saw me struggling with casing bolts on my scrambler.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

AutoshiteBoy wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:48 pm
Alf892 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:30 pm Isn't copaslip on aloominuminim considered a no no (by some)these days? Higher up the galvanic wotsit or some such.
Theres certainly alternatives out there which are cheap enough.
Summit like that.

https://forums.ybw.com/index.php?thread ... um.493184/

Can't remember exactly what grease Honda Snr used on fitting glow plugs to his Merc. Might have been ceramic or something, but definitely avoided copper.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Scruffy Bodger wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:06 pm
Hooli wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:44 pm Today I said bugger quite loudly when taking the front wheel out of my 14 to get the tyres swapped.

FB_IMG_1611333622305.jpg

Thankfully after soaking it in WD40 & ignoring it till I got back with the tyres it came out with mole grips. I was expecting hours of difficulty sorting it & was rather surprised how easy it was sorted.

FB_IMG_1611333614623.jpg
Did you run a tap down that after or at least inspect how much thread was left in the carrier as it looks like there's quite a bit of ally on the old bolt? I always tend to give bolts like that a good twatting before trying to loosen them and then try and tighten it a touch. A trick an old gardener taught me as a teenager when he saw me struggling with casing bolts on my scrambler.
I didn't need too. The damage you can see on the threads where where I was gripping it with mole grips to wind it out. The new bolts wound in easily with just my fingers so I knew it was all clear.

I agree on the tap, I do if things don't want to come undone. That one just snapped with almost no pressure on the ratchet, it must have been nearly gone already.
Private signature, do not read
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Alf892 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:30 pm
Hooli wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:50 pm
DodgeRover wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:48 pm Now coat its replacement up with copper slip or similar.

If it came out with molegrips then it might be time to replace all of them in case they are beginning to fatigue?
They all get copper slipped every time & I did replace them all, they look awful & shiney against my nicely patinaed bike.
Isn't copaslip on aloominuminim considered a no no (by some)these days? Higher up the galvanic wotsit or some such.

Or is that the sort of dumb fucker shit that wee wee and tam pax bay would spout?
Possibly but I only use a little smear & it's not caused issues before I see no reason to change.
Private signature, do not read
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Hooli, you need Plus Gas for seized fastenings. Put the WD40 on a shelf and forget it. Personally I think ordinary LM grease is best for preventing future dismantling problems, the copper grease appears to dry out in a short time.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

The Saaaab runs again. The aux belt went into the cambelt causing it to jump four teeth hence the valve/piston noise. Despite me torquing the lower cover bolts to HBOL spec, one worked loose and wiped the belt out. Whoops.

That's fixed but still the question of the loss of boost remains.

It's not just Saabs. All modern diesels are a financial time bomb.

In other news, I replaced the bonnet and boot gas struts on the 1989 E32. All four were original so they've earned retirement. 'Made in West Germany' mate, no Chinesium on that.
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Today was, in a way, predetermined by the events of yesterday. But, the infernal rain having one of its rare days off and the roads dried out, I took the Humber out on my business seeing as it's not been out for weeks. As I took my seat at the wheel I started thinking about the great Uncle Fred Bear and imagined how he must have felt...

But yesterday it was more the story of The Dustbin who Wanted to be a General (one of my childhood favourites). I have been on elderly relative care duty with the rest of the family so personal transportation has been more or less essential. With no WBoD this year my faithful Allegro has to fulfil the need. Leaving the flat late in the evening I wound the windows down to clear the condensation on the outside and the passenger window dropped into the door! With no way of fishing it out it's going to be a door card off job to check the fault and hopefully replace it on the winder. In the meantime I have parked it close to the bush. It must know I've decided to sell it.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Just saw a rolls royce 4x4 for the first time earlier. It looked like a range rover with a shit, bling grille from halfords tacked on the front.
Gopping.
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

Just washed the car. Whoopie... It was freezing and thick frost when I took Chester out first thing and took me an age to demist/frost the car, had to actually get the de-icer out of the cupboard! Proper hat, scarf, gloves and coat weather (as well as the normal gear you perverts) and still freezing.

By 12:00 the sunshine is blinding and temps feel like summer!

In celebration, I took Mutt and Jeff to the park and once home, washed el-heapo, with a hose and a bucket and a sponge and everything. It's a silver car ad therefore never seems to 'look' dirty (apart from the seagull shit all over the roof and bonnet!) but when you start to clean, it shows up how dirty it is.

There, a half-page ramble about washing your car and you dopey bastards read it!