What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
AMCrebel
Officially Not Quite Totally Useless

Re: What did you do today?

Post by AMCrebel »

Found the splice and remade the joint - replaced all trim and ........ it made fuck all difference
IMG_0944.JPG
IMG_0944.JPG (2.26 MiB) Viewed 3017 times
IMG_0945.JPG
IMG_0945.JPG (2.51 MiB) Viewed 3017 times
2005 Land Rover Discovery SE Manual
2003 Mercedes E320 Estate
1968 AMC Rebel SST Convertible
1967 AMC Rebel SST Convertible (for parts)
1994 Fleetwood Colchester 1850 EB

Hoping for roffle win :)
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

I assume you've already done the obvious stuff but I know on my XJR about once a month I have to open the keyfob & wipe the contacts clean behind the buttons. They seem to get a black goo on, which if I didn't know better I'd call oil, but I can't imagine how oil would get in there.
Private signature, do not read
Arthur Foxhake

Post by Arthur Foxhake »

Bought another caravan last weekend, wanted a tourer with a fixed double bed and the other one is a bit funky smelling.
Bought the old one for £500 before all this plague lark started and listed it this evening for £1200 with offers.
Was online for 4 minutes, 20 seconds, 3 page views and sold for full asking price, buyer has been in contact already and seems to be serious.
I hope he turns up!
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

Hooli wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:14 pm I assume you've already done the obvious stuff but I know on my XJR about once a month I have to open the keyfob & wipe the contacts clean behind the buttons. They seem to get a black goo on, which if I didn't know better I'd call oil, but I can't imagine how oil would get in there.
Shit from the latex oozing out. Have it all the time with the keypads on the telephone and remote controls.
AMCrebel
Officially Not Quite Totally Useless

Post by AMCrebel »

Hooli wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:14 pm I assume you've already done the obvious stuff but I know on my XJR about once a month I have to open the keyfob & wipe the contacts clean behind the buttons. They seem to get a black goo on, which if I didn't know better I'd call oil, but I can't imagine how oil would get in there.
The keyfobs have a rechargeable battery soldered to the circuit board that is a bugger to change. The switches are little surface mount micro switches so you can’t get at the contacts.

Battery is supposed to charge by induction when the key is in the ignition.
2005 Land Rover Discovery SE Manual
2003 Mercedes E320 Estate
1968 AMC Rebel SST Convertible
1967 AMC Rebel SST Convertible (for parts)
1994 Fleetwood Colchester 1850 EB

Hoping for roffle win :)
Arthur Foxhake

Post by Arthur Foxhake »

I'd decided a while back to pass the Mercedes 508d camper on but never seemed to be able to find time to get over to it and take the solar system, inverter and other good stuff off it. There was also the matter of a 12m X 4m marquee stored inside it, right in the way.
Well, I finally managed to do it all yesterday so, I stuck it on eBay as an auction, 99p start, no reserve.
I have no idea how to value it so, I'll let the public decide.
If the winner doesn't pay or make contact, I'll put it back on as a classified ad after, slightly cheaper than the winning bid.
Quite sad to be working on it again, in reverse but, it's costing me £60 a month to sit there and do fuck all, it's been there over a year so, it's time for it to go.
Hopefully, what with it being silly season on vans and caravans, I'll get something for it.
Pandemic has got to be good for something I suppose.

205 STDT is next on the chopping block. I'm sick of welding rusty old cars now and I just won't have the time to enjoy it or keep it safe and dry when it's completed anyway.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Have you a link? Is it the green one with the 'art' work on the back?
Arthur Foxhake

Post by Arthur Foxhake »

Yeah, it's that one.
Was an ongoing project till the engine drank all it's oil (10l in about 250miles!) and shat itself big style.
I was absolutely gutted when it happened, still am a bit, put in hours and hours of work but, fuck it, life goes on.
It's costing money sat there so I'd very much like it be somebody else's problem now.

Some kids in Portugal tagged the back of it, with the previous owners permission, and his then Mrs did the monsters above it. I've known the van for nearly 20 years, my mate Ben, the previous owner, spent about 15 years living in it. He has a 7.5t box lorry now.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Did they do a minibus version? I remember a but trip to a nightclub called the Tall Trees about twenty five years ago. The mercedes bus did a runaway coming onto a slip road on the A19. The driver pulled over and we all got out.
We stood and watched while it consumed all it's oil at full revs before it shat a conrod the same and dumped whatever oil was left all over the road.
We had to wait an hour and a half for a replacement bus.
Arthur Foxhake

Post by Arthur Foxhake »

They did bus and minibus versions, yeah.
Nice to know mine isn't the only "bulletproof" engine that has destroyed itself!