What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
PhilA

Re: What did you do today?

Post by PhilA »

DodgeRover wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:07 pm Maybe white oak but it does look too yellow, I doubt a softwood would look that good after any time.
Surprisingly, pine lasts remarkably well outside here because it gets the chance to dry out properly in the sun.

Pressure treated pine lasts about 12-15 years when used as things like decking, about 25 as fences where both sides get to dry.

Phil
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

SiC wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:37 pm
CLINT wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:20 pm
SiC wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:00 am Apparently US buyers are paying a lot more. So they're being gathered together into big lumps by buyers and sent over there for more money. Also value entirely depends on the cat and vehicle. 172 cat is apparently around £450, while a 182 cat is less at £275.
Not scrap price surely? Renaults usually have low value cats for some reason. My buyer's head office is in America.
Scrap price. Possibly just a RenaultSport model thing? My Clio stinks a lot of being fuel rich on startup and that's apparently a normal thing on them. Could be they need to work harder and thus need a bigger cat for the hotter and higher tuned models.
Silly enrichment to heat the cat up faster to pass emissions rules? My XJR does that & will flood if you switch it off before the idle has dropped to normal. I think your Clio is about the same age?
Private signature, do not read

Post by Guest »

This afternoon I tried to work out how to get behind the dashboard on the VP, I gave up after hurting my hand. Last time I tried I did my hip and knee in. I am reaching the point where I'm too decrepit to do anything useful. I put everything away are some cake and walked the dog
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Guest wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:34 pm This afternoon I tried to work out how to get behind the dashboard on the VP, I gave up after hurting my hand. Last time I tried I did my hip and knee in. I am reaching the point where I'm too decrepit to do anything useful. I put everything away are some cake and walked the dog
Does that mean its for sale soon? 😬
BenHar
Banned Grinch!

Post by BenHar »

PhilA wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:27 pm
BenHar wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:47 pmImpressive!

What wood is it? And what are you using to clean it?

Ben
Had a poke and it's plain jane pine. Just water from the pressure washer.
How old is it?

Pine here rots away after a couple of years.

Yours looks good.

Ben
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

BenHar wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:38 pm How old is it?

Pine here rots away after a couple of years.

Yours looks good.

Ben
That fence has been there since at least 2013, as it appears on Google Street View- we inherited it. I had to replace the decking boards that edge up against the house because they went rotten because the roof drains directly onto them as we have no gutters.

Phil
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Drum wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:13 pmWhat car is it?
The ford maverick, the later Mazda Tribute version not the terrano

Post by Guest »

SiC wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:35 pm
Guest wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:34 pm This afternoon I tried to work out how to get behind the dashboard on the VP, I gave up after hurting my hand. Last time I tried I did my hip and knee in. I am reaching the point where I'm too decrepit to do anything useful. I put everything away are some cake and walked the dog
Does that mean its for sale soon? 😬
Probably; however, the tardiness of the DVLA prevents any speedy sale as I do not yet have a V5. You are still first in line when the inevitable happens.

Post by Guest »

I have fixed the temperature gauge on the VP, it was the sender, unfortunately I think that this means the sender is at fault in the fuel tank, possibly stuck, or a leaky float. It still has too much petrol in to start fiddling with it. It has been leaking rainwater into the driver's side footwell, I have lifted the carpet and removed the underlay and sound deadening material to dry them. It has obviously had a new windscreen at some point and the rubber doesn't fit that well, I have put a bit of sealant at the one edge the leak seems less but not completely cured. I will have to have another look, I think it has some drains in the scuttle to check. Still no V5 so will have to start chasing it.
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

The VP dashboard was wired traditionally with free wires as opposed to the regular Austin's printed circuit. I would check connections first. A quick check is to earth the wire from the sender and watch the needle, which should soon rise to full. If you have to remove the sender from the tank it is held in place by one of those captive rings on the driver's side so caution is needed but I have gently tapped the ring free with an old screwdriver before. Dunno what the special tool is. The floats are plastic so it could have holed, if it is faulty I have one here.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.