What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Re: What did you do today?

Post by LynehamHerc »

I've used Deox C and found it really good.

That atom Mac stuff must be made out of unicorns tears judging by the price.
Arthur Foxhake

Post by Arthur Foxhake »

Arthur Foxhake wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:45 pm Sat waiting for an MOT on my Hilux Surf.
Should be a pass I would think, we'll see.
Pass.
No advisories, or whatever equivalent they use now.

Thanks for asking. :-)
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

chadders wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:14 pm I've used Deox C and found it really good.

That atom Mac stuff must be made out of unicorns tears judging by the price.
If it works and I had a 50 year old car that only came out a few times a year and I wanted to keep it that way I think I might be tempted to invest in a litre?
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

Yeah, I see your point.

I'll have to look into it. At the moment I'm using Ramsoil for some things but this might be suitable for others.
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

I took the dogs to the park today, mainly to meet up with a mate I've not seen for a few weeks. He had a big Nissan truck thing on a lease which was collected (end of the lease) on Monday. I wanted to see his new car.

Now his truck was the tidiest thing on the planet, never used or abused, no scuffs or dents, not even a scratch and he has been panicking about the return as he feared he'd get stung. I repeatedly said that he was not to worry as it's mint... turns out, I was wrong. Apparently the inspector bloke found tiny dents and scrapes here and there and charged him about £800!

It's a fucking truck for fuck's sake and it really is mint! His cost to retain it was about 10 grand and I said to buy it I was tempted myself as the retail is about 17K.

Anyway, new car is a Hyundai i20 coupe sport 1.4 diesel and it is really nice. 66 plate for 6.5K and it's a good looking little thing, would quite like one apart from it's manual...

While I was waiting for him to go and fetch the new car (we'd been sat on the green for over an hour with the dogs but the parking down there was terrible and he was miles away) I got the mutts in the car and started it and turned the a.c on for them I was amused to see a stream of fresh, pure water under the middle of the car from the condenser, but then, having the a/c on full with the roof off is hardly efficient! Dogs liked it though: Chester had his nose stuck in the driver's side vent which was making his lips wobble around and I had the vents set into the footwell on the passenger side to freeze Phoebe's bum

The a/c is really good on the SuLK, very powerful which I suppose it needs when you have idiot owners like me when you shut the roof the inside instantly becomes like a freezer so now I know why people drive with the roof up on the hottest days.
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

Funny, friend of mine and I were discussing this- he said a work colleague came in from Nevada (to Tampa, Florida) and when they got out of the car for fuel his friend hurriedly came around and had him check on the big leak under his car... You don't get that in Nevada, the air is too dry.

Also makes me smile, someone in Finland commented with a sneer that the beer companies spray water in the bottles to make them look wet for the adverts.
Showed them what happens when you take a beer out of the fridge and bring it outside here. In under a minute you can legibly write in the condensation on the bottle.

I guess that's why cars last longer in Nevada and Finland than they do here.
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

On the same topic, I drilled a hole in my new air conditioner. The design must be from elsewhere because the condensate runoff is meant to go to the outside back of the case and get flicked up into the hot side radiator, be turned into vapor and blown away. I think the idea is to make the outside radiator more efficient by making it wet.

Unfortunately that doesn't happen here, the water gets flicked up and then it gets warm and drips back down again.

The bottom of the radiator was going rusty already!

So, at the low point in the middle I drilled a 3/8" hole to let the water out. That should help. They're should be a hole in it and a bung, because not every environment these things get used in work as per design. Particularly not here where the dew point is usually close to or above the temperature outside.

Phil
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

A lad I know rang the other day for some advice as he was in Halfrauds buying bulbs for his Corsa C van. Did I think it was OK to pay 40 quid to have 3 bulbs changed?! :shock: Robbing cunts. He turned up earlier. It turned out the indicator bulb was just a bad connection and the dipped bulb had blown, what the other one was who knows? 5 mins exchanged for 2 bottles of beer. That'll do me.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

2 bottles of beer + £20 for the bulbs?
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

DodgeRover wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:13 pm 2 bottles of beer + £20 for the bulbs?
I think they screwed him 16 quid for the bulb set he bought as it was slightly dearer than the 3 bulbs on their own? Just looked on ebay and that's about double the going rate, so yeah, 4 quid for the beers and you're spot on!