What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
fried onions

Re: What did you do today?

Post by fried onions »

Hooli wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:01 pm I hate painting, it's a black art I've got no idea about at all.
Sounds like something Henry Ford said.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

Car has gone to see Pete to have its new brakes fitted. Discs and pads but as he drove me home, he informed me the new brakes haven't turned up...

Expect to NOT get a repaired car back today... tomorrow?
CLINT
Woke as fuck

Post by CLINT »

Sorry m8, coronavirus. Good excuse for everything now.
OMG U OK HUN?
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

I did get the car back, un-repaired. CV19 holding up parts deliveries apparently. Though I'm sure he said last week that they had all been delivered even though he only enquired...

I like the guy no end and he does good work but every time he does work on anyone's car he does this delaying thing as he is too busy, there were cars parked everywhere yesterday all waiting for his attention. I wish he'd just said he was too busy/double-booked or whatever and put me off for another day.

Ho hum, we will see.
cros
The Elastrator

Post by cros »

I've had an intermittent misfire on the Bedford van ever since it's been on the road. It happens randomly and clears up completely at higher throttle openings. I bought the as-new carb off eBay as the original was damaged and very worn- most Zeniths became sloppy after about 50000 miles.
The problem turned out to be a missing spring in the diaphragm that controls the 'economy valve' This thing leans off the mixture when the vacuum is high, but with no spring it allowed extra air through whenever the mood took it, hence the misfire. I'd guess it had no spring from new and the carb had been discarded long ago. I've taken the item from the knackered carb and will reassemble when I get a new gasket kit- fortunately these are still available as they're similar to a larger version used in series Landrovers.
IMG_20200624_151818802.jpg
IMG_20200624_151818802.jpg (239.25 KiB) Viewed 4103 times
The other job I've started is to make a change to the gear linkage. It's all too easy to go from top gear straight into reverse instead of the second of its 3 forward gears. I achieved this feat slowing down for a busy junction and the accompanying soundtrack was not pleasant.
Vauxhall provided no extra spring on the reverse gate like modern cars have, though the terrible noise it makes if you're under way is a bit of a clue. Instead, the selectors are sprung biased in the 2-3 plane. To achieve this the gate pattern will have to be the 'wrong' way round with first and reverse towards you, but that's preferable to reversing smartly into the car behind when the lights go green.
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

Got an e-mail from the AA for my car insurance, inviting me to renew. Could I open the attachments? Could I fuck!

Every time I tried it crashed my laptop or opened endless pages that I couldn't stop. I got a tad annoyed!

In high dudgeon, I phoned them and was getting more and more irate with every recorded message, just asked him to PLEASE tell me what my renewal is!

Last year was about £200 and this year £279. Not too bad I thought but have a try for a discount, got it down to £229 for the year fully com with protected no claims etc.

Happy with that so renewed there and then. Not worth the hassle of the Meerkats or the fat singer. so for another year, all my eggs are in the AA's basket - car insurance and breakdown cover.

what with paying out £156 to the vet the other day, spending another £40 on supplements for her legs and this, I am now skint and I still need to get the brakes done.
Arthur Foxhake

Post by Arthur Foxhake »

Sat waiting for an MOT on my Hilux Surf.
Should be a pass I would think, we'll see.
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

xtriple wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:02 pm Got an e-mail from the AA for my car insurance, inviting me to renew. Could I open the attachments? Could I fuck!

Every time I tried it crashed my laptop or opened endless pages that I couldn't stop. I got a tad annoyed!
I had the same problem with my lap top a while ago and it was an easy fix but I am buggered if I remember what it was. Something to do the the default pdf reader I think. I am sure I got the answer from someone on here.
Any way on to what I have done today.
First up I pumped up the suspension on a customers MGF then started to investigate the lack of heater blower on my 806. Typical on the hottest day of the year and I can't use the air con. The bloody thing has 2 motors and neither would work. I think I have 2 problems as the resistor has certainly gone on one motor but I suspect the relay is playing up on the other. After a bit of ebay searching I think I have found a genuine UK seller to buy a pair of resistors from. I expect they are still made in China but as long as my money isn't going directly there that will do. If this doesn't work I will just put a big fuck off switch on the dash and run direct to the motors.
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
CLINT
Woke as fuck

Post by CLINT »

Today I thought I would get my Standard out for the first time in months. It drove up the road fine but then got progressively noisier to the point I had to stop it and check it over then turn round. The noise and vibration was like totally knackered wheel bearings but last time I took it out there were no issues.

However, between taking it out last and today there was a flood in the unit and the Standard was up to its axles in flood water...

Took the front hubs off, both bearings totally knackered. Amazing how they got ruined considering all that grease in there.

Luckily the ones on the spare car were ok so put them on instead. Some minor pitting on one but it's only temporary until I can get new bearings.

I'll check the rears tomorrow. Poor car
OMG U OK HUN?
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

The stuff I was on about to treat the little issues on that is this https://www.bilthamber.com/corrosion-pr ... s/deox-gel

The other magic* stuff they now sell which I have no idea if it works or not is this https://www.bilthamber.com/corrosion-pr ... s/atom-mac The reviews I can find seems to think it does do the trick like all their products but I've no idea how it works.