What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Re: What did you do today?

Post by mercrocker »

Discovered the battery on the Merc is fucked. At five to nine on dayshift. I could have jumped straight in the Morris but I wanted to find out what was wrong with it - had some random cutting-out bollocks lately. Voltmeter showed battery was 5.85V, four cells dead on the bubble tube test and two were limping.... I'm pretty certain this has fuck all to do with the cutting out but it has probably not helped having to start the car more than necessary on a failing battery.

I had the car serviced before Christmas and they wrote "battery test shows Replace" which I ignored. Got another 12 weeks or so out of it which means it slots between Chrimbo madness and having to pay for all my weekenders this year. Pays to be a skinflint sometimes....

I better just test that alternator output when its running again though.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
ghosty

Post by ghosty »

I somehow buggered up my job interview by answering questions 'too generically' and not having any sales experience despite the job description not requiring it, and the fact I run a bike shop c/o the owner sometimes.

As such I'm still at the bike shop, and painfully skint. This unfortunately means I need to sell the Jag to access my savings so I can get to net zero. It's a fuck, but it's life.
Watch for pedestrians...
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

Sorry to hear about this and having to sell the Jag, it looks a nice car.

Unless someone has placed a curse on you things will improve, the shitty patch can't last forever.
Mind you I thought that about Bub's motors and was wrong there.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

T'aint a curse, its just life! Sixty this year and I still lurch from MOT to breakdown to meagre replacement funds and repeat. Might have 5 motors now instead of one but that is more about ensuring I don't have to walk than it is obsessive hoarding.

Struggling to justify hanging on to the 190E when I leave my comfortable salary later this year for semi-retirement. Bet your arse something will go bang between deciding to keep it and having to sell it.....
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
Conrad D. Conelrad

Post by Conrad D. Conelrad »

I bought some of that stuff that makes the dirt on your wheels turn red. It smells foul, but the results are really quite impressive.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Conrad D. Conelrad wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:59 pm I bought some of that stuff that makes the dirt on your wheels turn red. It smells foul, but the results are really quite impressive.
Satan's piss or something similarly named?
Conrad D. Conelrad

Post by Conrad D. Conelrad »

Not far off. It's called "bleeding wheels".
Bertram

Post by Bertram »

I think its official generic name is fallout remover.
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

Had a meeting yesterday sons school. Woke up a bit achey but nothing unusual,went to meeting then home. Gradually gone downhill till I ended up in bed last night at 7. Today has been terrible. took me 25 mins to put my socks on,sore throat and feel like I've been run over. Wife ben at work so I asked my aunt to come make me a sandwich at 1030 this morning. by 5 when wife got home I'd had no visitors. Text her to say it dont matter and got a reply saying sorry I forgot you. I'm currently back in bed with an ice cream.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Hope you throw it off sooner rather than later.
How was the meeting anything positive come out of it?