What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: What did you do today?

Post by SiC »

I've nearly had one a couple of times. First time I ended up with an RX8 because it was cheaper. Second time I ended up with a TT MK2 because a mate was selling one cheap.

They do handle well but don't expect absolute precision handling. They are big and quite heavy cars, more suited to GT. A past colleague had a heavily modified one and that was completely different, but it cost a lot to get to that point. I'll probably end up with one eventually if they don't go out my price bands.

The engine is similar to the Vel Satis/Espace/Laguna III Coupe but RWD setup and tuned for more power. Nissan derived. A generally a good lump.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Those 370z always look too short lengthwise for their width to me. More like a squashed hot hatch than a graceful GT.
Private signature, do not read
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

It's a 350z, not the 370z. :geek:
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

I didn't realise they did two, they all look the same to me.
Private signature, do not read
Nibblet

Post by Nibblet »

DodgeRover wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:37 pm One end had to be a left hand thread though otherwise adjusting would keep everything parallel, same as screwing 2 nuts onto a bolt, no matter how much you turn the bolt if the nuts don't rotate they will stay the same distance apart
Ah, I sees what you mean; being a bit of a farmboy it takes me a while :)
'Ever since the young men have owned motorcycles, incest has been dying out, and so has sodomy'.

'Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good."
Thomas Sowell
Nibblet

Post by Nibblet »

The 350z could be had in a variety of different states of tune/options, they are all fucking heavy, the touring version extremely so but they're not, to my thinking a 'sports car' anyway.
'Ever since the young men have owned motorcycles, incest has been dying out, and so has sodomy'.

'Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good."
Thomas Sowell
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Sheddy wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:58 pm Ah, I sees what you mean; being a bit of a farmboy it takes me a while :)
A true farm boy wouldnt remove the play from the track rod ends before holding them in place with fencing wire and bailer band was no longer an option.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

I fitted a new thermostat to my 318Ti today. Nice easy job, took 25 minutes with no seized bolts etc.

I'm puzzled as to how those kind, benevolent souls at BMW came to the conclusion that a thermostat for a 25 year old £500 car is worth £63 with VAT. I declined their kind offer however, and bought a Circoli stat from ECP for eight pounds.

I've no idea how manufacturers dream up such obscene prices. Ford are just as bad. They are throwing away a lucrative revenue stream. I would have paid £25 for a BMW boxed stat.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

Sheddy wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:00 pm The 350z could be had in a variety of different states of tune/options, they are all fucking heavy, the touring version extremely so but they're not, to my thinking a 'sports car' anyway.
The old man's just turned 70 so not after an out and out sports car. It'd gone by the time we got there so hey ho. The trader seemed ok and is trying to source more so will probably go back and see what he's got. He had a blue one in but had scruffy paint, stonechips and blemishes all over it so no good. Also had a facelift one that was tidy but in that dull silver so walked away.
I know the Z's go well and make a great noise. Years ago I was in my mates Mk2 Astra with a V6 gsi engine in with the Calibra 6 speed box, we came across a Z one evening and it pulled away from the Astra, not by a massive margin but it was certainly no slouch.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

The Reverend Bluejeans wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:11 pm I fitted a new thermostat to my 318Ti today. Nice easy job, took 25 minutes with no seized bolts etc.

I'm puzzled as to how those kind, benevolent souls at BMW came to the conclusion that a thermostat for a 25 year old £500 car is worth £63 with VAT. I declined their kind offer however, and bought a Circoli stat from ECP for eight pounds.

I've no idea how manufacturers dream up such obscene prices. Ford are just as bad. They are throwing away a lucrative revenue stream. I would have paid £25 for a BMW boxed stat.
They don't review their parts prices. It's probably not worth the effort and they can still sell them at that price to garages who then charge it on to the owner. You'd also have to write down the stock value which would feed straight through to the bottom line.