What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
8BAK465

Re: What did you do today?

Post by 8BAK465 »

mercrocker wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:29 pm What a factory does works in a flow-production cost-conscious large scale operation. If we are paying for skilled labour at a more artisan level then yes, find a better way! This includes finding out how water ingress occurs and stopping that happening again, or at least routing acceptable ingress a different way.

Despite living in coastal conditions (the natural habitat of a leisure vehicle wherever it happens to actually reside) none of the work I had done on my van 9 years ago has needed doing again, except for the sliding door which the last bodyshop did on a cheap basis because I had run out of money having other stuff done.....It might have gone a couple more years but would only have got worse. I won't have the money in a couple of years which is why all this is getting done now.

Modern campers don't appeal to me at all so I am quite happy to pump money into the Volkswagen and keep hold it for a few more years. I am not interested in the VW scene but the inflated value of old vans makes it very difficult to justify replacing it with another. Unfortunately the scene tax has spread to other makes of van, too.....
Paid wayy too much for my piece of poodle doodle t4 that I owned breifly around 6 years ago because of scene tax :(
If you have a scene tax vehicle and you like it why not invest in it as getting that work done will probably cost you less than getting a far worse example to replace it at todays prices :cry:
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

captain_70s wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:07 am
SiC wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:51 am I look at some of the more modern cars on AS that live up in Scotland and how utterly rusty to fuck they are. Even stuff like wings and doors have gone crusty after 12-15yrs, let alone suspension parts. Yet the exact same models down here seem to have a fraction of the rust.
Friends don't let friends buy Scottish cars... There is a reason the we repatriate Volvos from warmer climates.

Having said that my Dolly 1850 was a London car and that was rotten under the underseal. Spending a decade in Frinton-On-Sea likely didn't help.
A decade in Frinton would make anything fall apart.
Private signature, do not read
64A60

Post by 64A60 »

Removed the intermittent Windtone Horns on the A55 for a good Emery session and some adjustment. Now back on and parping away merrily. Bad news on the blowing exhaust, both the manifold and downpipe have a chunk missing at the joint so a Gun Gum bodge and a new clamp will suffice for now. Hope to investigate the non-operational Fuel Gauge over the weekend.

SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

64A60 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:38 pm Hope to investigate the non-operational Fuel Gauge over the weekend.
*This weekend*
Fixed it!

*Next weekend*
Run out of fuel, gauge was showing half full. Bloody Smiths gauges.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Probably needs a new sender....
Vintage-1950s-HAPPY-BIRD-Drinking-Duck-in-Original.jpg
Vintage-1950s-HAPPY-BIRD-Drinking-Duck-in-Original.jpg (10.96 KiB) Viewed 4085 times
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

ImageHopefully, get new tyres... and wheels :) BIG wheels and tyres. I am sad and a big kid not to mention, a chav!

Told you not to mention that!
Last edited by xtriple on Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

xtriple wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:44 am Hopefully, get new tyres... and wheels :) BIG wheels and tyres. I am sad and a big kid not to mention, a chav!

I've been pricing tyres today. 255/40ZR18 isn't cheap unless you go for no-name budget crap that I'd rather not fit.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

You should run an invacar, only 3 tyres and the size of Polo mints.
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

chadders wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:12 pm You should run an invacar, only 3 tyres and the size of Polo mints.
You should fuck off with silly comments like that!
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

Hooli wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:09 pm
xtriple wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:44 am Hopefully, get new tyres... and wheels :) BIG wheels and tyres. I am sad and a big kid not to mention, a chav!

I've been pricing tyres today. 255/40ZR18 isn't cheap unless you go for no-name budget crap that I'd rather not fit.
My new ones are 'only' 245/35/18 and I went for Avons as that is what was on the car and they seem good and have excellent ratings on the 'ABD' thing and they are quiet. Blackcircles about £125 per tyre fitted.