What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
DodgeRover

Re: What did you do today?

Post by DodgeRover »

Sheddy wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:59 am I forgot most of you cunts aren't on the beige forum anymore; the 120Y I purchased off Sam Glover.
I haven't bothered posting much about it or my other cars as they aren't Spakworthy enough :D
How do you download piccies from a Samsung Galaxy to here?
Is Sam Glover still a member? I think he took it the wrong way when I commented that him advertising his MG stating it was a ringer is probably not the most sensible thing to do.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Always loved the mini-Yank looks of those mid-70s Dattys.....
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
christine

Post by christine »

And HB Vivas and coke bottle Victors . Was there ever a 2 door coke bottle Victor ?

I polished up Grandads Astra ready for re presenting for an mot this week , after spring seat weldage

pajero 053.jpg
pajero 053.jpg (3.22 MiB) Viewed 4121 times
lewis 007.jpg
lewis 007.jpg (3.42 MiB) Viewed 4113 times
Last edited by christine on Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nibblet

Post by Nibblet »

DodgeRover wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:49 pm
Sheddy wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:59 am I forgot most of you cunts aren't on the beige forum anymore; the 120Y I purchased off Sam Glover.
I haven't bothered posting much about it or my other cars as they aren't Spakworthy enough :D
How do you download piccies from a Samsung Galaxy to here?
Is Sam Glover still a member? I think he took it the wrong way when I commented that him advertising his MG stating it was a ringer is probably not the most sensible thing to do.
I imagine so, not a great deal of interest shown in bonkers Zaporophets or Tatras on that site though so can't see he's very bothered.....
'Ever since the young men have owned motorcycles, incest has been dying out, and so has sodomy'.

'Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good."
Thomas Sowell
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Nice old Datsun you have there. Although I like to see them I find the Japanese cars of that era far too strange looking. Worst of all are those wing mirrors like an unwelcome extrusion. I guess the weird styling is an attraction for many.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

My first wife had one of those coupes as her first car I had a MK10 Jag so guess which car was driven all the time? I quite liked it apart from the utterly tragic understeer but it was always predictably awful so fun in a perverse way :) Obviously back then I was an effin' hooligan that required a binary throttle so my own fault more than likely.

Hers was that pale blue colour that so many were but it had fancy wheel trims (standard) and was in really good condition. Paid about £500, kept it a year and sold it for the same amount. Bloody good cars and started my love affairs with Japanese cars in general. We only got rid of it 'cos she had passed her test and she much preferred to drive my white V12 XJ-S than a slightly boring blue Datsun!
Nibblet

Post by Nibblet »

Old Jap cars are, I think an odd amalgam of British and American design with a blob of Japanese engineering and a kind of naive enthusiasm I very much like.
They're rather like a car designed by a very smart kid to a strict budget, a kid who had only ever observed his father driving a car, from the rear seat.
'Ever since the young men have owned motorcycles, incest has been dying out, and so has sodomy'.

'Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good."
Thomas Sowell
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Sheddy wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:04 pm Old Jap cars are, I think an odd amalgam of British and American design with a blob of Japanese engineering and a kind of naive enthusiasm I very much like.
They're rather like a car designed by a very smart kid to a strict budget, a kid who had only ever observed his father driving a car, from the rear seat.
Do rwd starlets count as old in this context? They are fun when driven with enthusiasm.
John F

Post by John F »

I should think so, yes.
On the road:
1998 Disco 4.0 V8 (manual)
1994 Vauxhall Calibra 3.0 V6

Running but need fettling:

1986 Honda CBX750F
1991 Maserati 222 SE
1990 Yamaha XJ900F

Tax & MOT-exempt, woohoo!

1982 Suzuki GSX1100SZ Katana
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Hopefully, fixated the lights on the Minor. Unbelievable set of circumstances, well not for the Minor I suppose, but still.....The 56 year old loom has got issues and I occasionally get a bad earth or zero current. When both beams went on the nearside I suspected (rightly) a bad connection in the crossover from the feeds on the nearside of the car. I swapped over both bulbs and that proved I was on the right rack. Once I had re-made all the joints I had both lights again.....Not for long - when checking it up the barn a couple of weeks later I only had the offside headlamp again. Fucksticks.

It was a bit like being late for a curry - no main, no dip just sides. Rechecked all my re-connections (this time in the dark and dismal barn aided only by a dying Ever Ready torch) and filed it under FI for Fuck It.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and I am running out of cars so dragged it back in daylight and set to this morning. Ran a test circuit to a bulb holder and spare H4 bulb - perfect. Reconnected to the car's N/S lamp - Nada. FFS.

Then I looked at the headlamp itself - like a bomb had gone off in there, shrapnel everywhere....Carefully lifted out the unit and the bulb had evidently suicide-bombed inside the reflector (I have H4s, rather than SBs on this car). Maybe I had created a short circuit in my wiring bodgery, maybe I had at some time in the past handled the bulb with sweaty paws, maybe it is just Chinese fucking Lucas junk.

Anyhoo, just did a 30 mile run on dip and full beam (yeah fuck you all coming the other way - DRLS innit) and I still have two headlamps, neither has unduly heated up. I will tick that fixed until the next time and use the car on late shit the rest of this week. Annoyingly, I had planned to attend to some bubbling on that stupid flange inboard of the headlamp on the car's offside while I had the bowl out but apathy once again set in.

Also, there is a bit of a glimmer of hope on the Cowley wipers - seems the arms are pretty fucked and I am hoping this is why they flop about - certainly cannot feel any play or knackered splines on the wheelboxes. There is a big box of arms and blades somewhere in one of my lockups but I bet I end up buying another set....
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......