What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Split_Pin

Re: What did you do today?

Post by Split_Pin »

I've spent the last month trying to be a decent sort but it just gets thrown back in my face.

Here is all the stuff we've ever offered up for free but to no avail:
20220511_203233.jpg
20220511_203233.jpg (372.01 KiB) Viewed 911 times
Barring a few old Vauxhall parts that I saved for people I know, everything else got the cunt smashed out of it before going in.

Fuck them all. Very satisfying.

#vilehatred
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

DodgeRover wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:11 pm
SiC wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:32 pm It escalated quickly last night

Panels ordered today and here before the end of this week.
I thought you weren't poking anything before finishing the other projects!
Just sorting the bigger holes and any collateral behind them.
angrydicky
The TDW Ancient Crock Appreciation Club (official) Chairman

Post by angrydicky »

mercrocker wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:24 am Is it down on compression, though? If the car's been a good starter have you ever spun it over and not have it fire up? Might be it just feels/sounds too free-spinning and just has a simple ignition or fuel fault.
The Rover 600 lives again, I feel a right numpty.
Mercrocker was pretty much spot on here, as it didn't start (for the first time ever) I panicked and thought it was spinning over too fast. It wasn't.
My dad had a look at it, he tried to start it and it cranked over but wouldn't go. He checked the fuel and spark, that seemed fine, so tried with his foot to the floor. It spluttered into life and ran ok, now it's back on the button again thankfully.
Thinking about it I did start the car and move it briefly on Saturday which probably caused it to flood, or maybe the hydraulic tappets had drained like Panhard says. Anyway he's driven it around the driveway and reckons it's fine now, which is a huge relief.
Something that is rather annoying is the distributor cap is held in place with three little (M5 possibly) screws and unbeknownst to me I managed to snap off the lower one flush with the head when I removed it on Sunday. It's back on with the other two screws and seems ok, it'll have to be I guess as I don't think I can get an easy-out in there.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

That's good news.
Duct tape on the disc cap? Very bodgy but might work in the short term.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

I think my Jag is a similar age? 2000 ish.

I believe it was quite a common bodge to pass emissions standards then to run very rich on fast idle as the burning fuel in the exhaust warms the cat up quickly enough to meet the requirements. My Jag floods and won't start if turned off before the idle drops to its normal speed.

If yours is the same it'll explain why it flooded.
Private signature, do not read
Split_Pin

Post by Split_Pin »

Good news on the 600!
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Had a run down to Bournemouth so Mrs Rocker could flog some of her vintage clothes to a friend who has a shop down there. Needed some petrol first.....Not often you see two Morrises at once. Don't know the fella or the car despite being my local Esso.....

DSC01192.JPG
DSC01192.JPG (625.7 KiB) Viewed 845 times

Some dosh was obtained, some tat was bought elsewhere and there was time for a cliff-top cuppa and a stroll before beating the school traffic back home.

DSC01198.JPG
DSC01198.JPG (354.08 KiB) Viewed 845 times
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
BusmansHoliday

Post by BusmansHoliday »

fraser wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 3:45 pm
BusmansHoliday wrote:Just order a shit load of service items (filters, oil, discs and pads) for the Ibiza. Actually got them cheaper from Halfrauds than CP4L or ECU. Collect tomorrow, let's see if they do a better job of supplying the correct parts than ECP usually do.

On the down side, Halfrauds web site is wank. Why you have to confirm store and collection days for each item is beyond me, doesn't half piss you off.
My local Halfords in Hereford get their parts from ecp, so the same chance of the wrong part turning up.

Sent from my JNY-LX1 using Tapatalk
So their track your order at 4pm said only one item was there. Half past and same, so rang the helpline which said it's all there !
Drove down and assistant looks and goes to big pile of bits.
No, not yours. Checks another pile, No.
Checks order number, says on his screen that they are still being picked. I comment that obviously collect after 4pm means tomorrow. He smiles, checks again then disappears behind till and opens a cupboard.
He then starts fetching out oil, filters, discs and pads. All amazingly fitting what I ordered. Wondered who these were for he comments.

I'm happy, track order says not yet delivered.
Collect parts, come home.

Whether they are correct I'll find out over the weekend.
Jerzywoking

Post by Jerzywoking »

Honda Deauville and are are on route to Croatia, via France, Germany, Austria, Czechia and Slovakia. Fantastic ride today from Elx to Albarraccin. Seen hardly any traffic since Requena, and nothing for the last 45 minutes. Nothing. Sod all.

Going for a walk around the town (which is stunning) and a couple of beers. Off to stay in Alcaniz tomorrow (only a short ride) as Aragon circuit is there in Motorland
20220512_171248.jpg
20220512_171248.jpg (388.62 KiB) Viewed 841 times
20220512_171228.jpg
20220512_171228.jpg (975.67 KiB) Viewed 841 times
20220512_171916.jpg
20220512_171916.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 841 times
59Impala

Post by 59Impala »

59Impala wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:45 pm I stood and watched as my mobile mechanic mate and his son fitted the new brake master cylinder and bled the brakes on my Impala. There is a much improved pedal feel now so later this week I shall take it on a test/shakedown drive via the Esso garage where I shall cry as I fill the tank with some super unleaded. Of course it would have been better if he hadn't postponed his visit from Friday to today bearing in mind that there was an American car event just up the road yesterday, attending in my Focus just isn't the same :-(
So today was the day for the first drive since some time last year, think it was September. Off to the Esso garage as their super unleaded doesn't have that ethanol stuff in it, 57 quid later the tank was filled. Car instantly became the centre of attention with some of the staff coming out to take photos of it which is kind of nice. I think they liked its V8 soundtrack too. Then back to Impala Towers with no bother so that's good. Just need to give it a wipe over and it's ready to go out and about. I didn't take a photo of it at the pumps so here's a gratuitous shot of it lurking on the drive.