Stupid questions about motorised conveyances

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Re: Stupid questions about motorised conveyances

Post by mercrocker »

Fitting LEDs to previously incandescent-equipped circuits probably screws up current drop detection. That's a Hooli guess, though.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

That's cause they need an electronic timer type flasher unit, so it's not dependant on load. Traditional flasher units either just don't work or flash really fast with LEDs.
Private signature, do not read
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

Warren t claim wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:13 am
bub2006 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:59 pm
Hooli wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:05 pm LEDs are lower resistance so might be affecting things. Put proper bulbs back in and see if it behaves.
My vectra had Cambus and a self check of lights. I fitted led bulbs in that and every so often the car would strobe its sidelights when parked up!
LED bulbs act differently. I fitted LED indicators to my CBR1000 and when one failed I didn't get the other one fast flashing to tell me something was wrong.
I know with indicators you have to use a different relay which is pretty much an electronic timer and they can't really differentiate if one has failed or not.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Genuine dumbass question here in regard to the above.....

On the Cowley, I have two seperate flasher circuits. One relay supplies current to the 1970s add-on flashers fitted with festoons.
Another (ordinary) relay supplies current to the trafficators which are now fitted with LEDs instead of festoons.

Both circuits share a common switch but the dash warning light is only wired into the flasher circuit, not the trafficators.

When I changed the traffs to LEDs I experienced no issue with the existing relay wired into the circuit.

Would this be because the coils holding the trafficators up are energised throughout the signalling period, I wonder...?
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

I'd guess so, that'd give a load to the circuit. The older flasher units used bi-metallic strips that heated up with the current flow until they bent and broke the circuit, as they cooled and straightened they completed it again - hence the clicking noise.
Private signature, do not read
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

2008 Honda Jazz Mk1 1.4
12months MOT
"Usual scratches" I've been told

What do we reckon it's worth?
My wife nans car that I appear to be tasked to dispose of as she is finally getting off the road.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Probably a lot more than you would think, maybe even enough to make it worth sorting the paintwork
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Prices are all over the place though. So difficult to figure out what they actually go for and what is the ridiculous prices that cause some to sit.
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

The handbrake tell-tale light in my E36 hasn't worked since I bought it, and it came with a fresh MOT which was advisory-free.

Was that a hooky MOT or is that light not tested? It doesn't bother me because I know when I've put the handbrake on, but I'm just wondering if it would be an issue come MOT time in October.

I did investigate the switch on the lever, and cleaned up the connections etc. with no success.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Think it is only an advisory on mechanically-handbraked cars and only if the warning lamp serves no other purpose. I'm sure I got my old W123 through like that but things may well have changed....