Stupid questions about motorised conveyances

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Re: Stupid questions about motorised conveyances

Post by paulplom »

The new ones failed about three months later and the garage had to do the job again for nowt under warranty.
Drum
Not Your Average Hoarder

Post by Drum »

Dodgy top mount bearings usually make a thumping noise when turning the wheel during parking etc as the top mount sticks then releases, in my experience.
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

Yeah, that's my experience too.

I've had somebody - quite persistently - suggest it's the top mount bearings but it doesn't sound like them.

It's a clunk like something is loose, not like a top mount bearing giving up at all.

So far on the 205 I've had a garage fit new lower arms (these include balljoints), and I've replaced the engine mounts, I've also checked the exhaust (rock solid) yet it persists.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

I've known knackered shocks clunk and clank as they work, so could be inside the struts?
Private signature, do not read
marvinsmom

Post by marvinsmom »

has anyone had any experience of the V6 diseaseal engines in a Jaguar?

while the use of the devils own fuel in a Jaguar is reasonably offensive at least it does have an acceptable number of cylinders.

reason been i have been looking at what there is to buy to replace the Rover. and well, i fancy another Jaguar to drain both my bank account and patients just like the last one did.....

well looking about it seems that the few Jaguars for sale all have the V6 diesel engine, i would much prefer a pez V6, though it may be that beggars cannot be choosers.

so does anyone actually have any experience with one of these in a car, are they any good? do they break alot or not very much? are they any good on fuel?
2015 Fiat 500 Heinz 57 - new car to me
2001 Rover 75 Estate - 220,000 miles & out
1997 Rover Mini Cooper Sport - running again!
1989 Austin Metro - also running again.
1974 Morris Mini 1000 - older than me, and in better condition :D
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

I knew someone with one years ago. He had a string of Jags and said you.couldnt tell when driving it. As far as I recall it didn't break either.
AMCrebel
Officially Not Quite Totally Useless

Post by AMCrebel »

marvinsmom wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:19 pm has anyone had any experience of the V6 diseaseal engines in a Jaguar?

while the use of the devils own fuel in a Jaguar is reasonably offensive at least it does have an acceptable number of cylinders.

reason been i have been looking at what there is to buy to replace the Rover. and well, i fancy another Jaguar to drain both my bank account and patients just like the last one did.....

well looking about it seems that the few Jaguars for sale all have the V6 diesel engine, i would much prefer a pez V6, though it may be that beggars cannot be choosers.

so does anyone actually have any experience with one of these in a car, are they any good? do they break alot or not very much? are they any good on fuel?
I've had two Jags - both X350 XJs.

The first was a dizzler I bought at 5 years old in 2010 with 100K on it. It was one of the most unreliable cars I've ever owned - but the actual engine was pretty good. They are twin turbo and have a lot of torque and not bad fuel economy - the engine is a PSA unit used (single turbo) in my Discovery and Citroen C6 and big Pugs.
It never actually broke down (except for a near total electrical failure caused by corroded earth points) but it used to go into limp mode quite a lot.

The second was a 2003 pez 3.0 V6 I bought in 2017 with LPG and 270K miles. This was the better car, but probably not a fair comparison as I didn't expect too much of it. Last heard of on the beige in about 2020.

As far as diesel in S types - the engine was always destined for the S type so Jag had a diesel to compete the Germans. I have a road test that rates the Diesel S Type ahead of an equivalent BMW which was no mean feat for the UK motoring press.

There are a small number of manual diesel S Types - they have a six speed box.
Early cars don't have a DPF either - you can tell them by the exhaust - the ends point down for no dpf, straight out for dpf.

My DPF never gave me any bother but I did a lot of long trips.

These need a cambelt change at 105K so always seem to be a lot for sale at 104K as it's a big job.

Otherwise, nice smooth engine and pretty decent.

The ones with scappy bodies are being snapped up to use the engines for dead Discoveries.
2005 Land Rover Discovery SE Manual
2003 Mercedes E320 Estate
1968 AMC Rebel SST Convertible
1967 AMC Rebel SST Convertible (for parts)
1994 Fleetwood Colchester 1850 EB

Hoping for roffle win :)
AMCrebel
Officially Not Quite Totally Useless

Post by AMCrebel »

Hooli wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:04 pm I knew someone with one years ago. He had a string of Jags and said you.couldnt tell when driving it. As far as I recall it didn't break either.
My Diesel X350 was so quiet you really couldn't easily tell it was diesel.
The Petrol V6 was slightly noisier, but in a good way.
2005 Land Rover Discovery SE Manual
2003 Mercedes E320 Estate
1968 AMC Rebel SST Convertible
1967 AMC Rebel SST Convertible (for parts)
1994 Fleetwood Colchester 1850 EB

Hoping for roffle win :)
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

Anyone sold a car to motorway?

My mum needs to get rid of one quick and they are offering what seems like retail on it, a few grand more than we buy any car. So it seems stupid not too, if it won't be a nightmare.

She's no intention of selling it privately cause of having to deal with all the people.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

No.

They don't look so bad on trust pilot, even after you've got past the default 4 and 5 star reviews but seem to have a different business model to WBAC. I'd look very carefully into what exactly they do and when they pay if I was you.

This so called advice was offered under the PTP Plumbing model so expect a garbled invoice for £0.00 in a couple of years or so.