MGB GT fettling

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Re: E Class woes

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

SiC wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:21 pm That bloody BGT always makes me do a double take.

Modern chrome is no where near as good as old stuff. All the fruity chemicals during plating that made it last have pretty much been banned now. The repro bumpers not only have crap chrome but are completely the wrong shape too. Might be worth having a look around for a good set of used.

I probably should take better care of my brightware really.
So it would seem, I don't think the car has even got wet since it's been done. The place he took them to had a good rep apparently so he's going to have a moan and see how he gets on.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

mercrocker wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:19 am MGB is lovely, just looks like it will fire straight up, get itself off the trailer and be ready for another adventure. I love long-termers like that.
It's a nice old thing and pretty sure it would start straight up. It had developed a misfire so the old man parked it up, it turned out water was leaking onto the leads and plugs from the heater valve. It's always normally parked in the garage with the handbrake off but not sure that time around. CLINT went to collect it and rolled it down the very short steep driveway, stopping it with the handbrake I think, this locked the rear drums on solid. He dragged it onto the trailer with his winch I believe and it's sat on the trailer since. I'm wondering if the drums had a layer of rust and the shoes cammed back causing them to lock on?
Fingers crossed this local chap is fettling it anyway, he seemed to be relishing the idea as he hates new cars.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

20210926_135621.jpg
20210926_135621.jpg (602.89 KiB) Viewed 1263 times
20210926_135721.jpg
20210926_135721.jpg (525.8 KiB) Viewed 1263 times
20210926_140141.jpg
20210926_140141.jpg (936.42 KiB) Viewed 1263 times
The cause of the E Class issues became pretty evident when we managed to get it out. At some point, maybe visiting Shelsley, it's grounded out at the front :( That caused the rad to be too close at the bottom, not easily noticed as the space at the top was still OK.

Towing isn't an option as its an auto so I'm getting the Blacksmith to turn up at some point with his generator welder to tack the broken bit back on. I'll get him to throw a BFO hammer and a metal bar in the van too. An ideal job to be doing in a public car park :lol:

A new rad should be picked up tomorrow and a bids been put in on a second hand fan. Fingers crossed it'll be boosting again next weekend? More, decent hose clips are being purchased to as the boost pipes aren't liking 30/35 psi up em, it's been fine previously as it was never going past 20 psi. It made a pretty epic POP last time around!
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

What do you reckon the output is? I'm trying to imagine what it's like to drive. Does it put the power down okay? I imagine the tc reigns it in a bit.
The audi I've got is a quattro and gets off the line like a rocket. I've never had a quick 4x4 before. Most of my cars would cut the power before giving you a decent shove. All the t5s I've had reduced power in first to stop that happening. I had an ex cid s70 in that slamon pink colour they did and it was probably the fastest car I've owned. That once span the wheels in fourth at about 60mph. I nearly shit myself. You'd and the passengers would get out shaking.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Scruffy Bodger wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:24 pm More, decent hose clips are being purchased to as the boost pipes aren't liking 30/35 psi up em, it's been fine previously as it was never going past 20 psi. It made a pretty epic POP last time around!
I recall having to weld a larger ridge onto the ends of the intercooler when I'd tweaked my Tdi Disco years ago. That used to make impressive pops when it dumped 15-20psi of boost as the hoses fell off.
Private signature, do not read
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

paulplom wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:33 am What do you reckon the output is? I'm trying to imagine what it's like to drive. Does it put the power down okay? I imagine the tc reigns it in a bit.
The audi I've got is a quattro and gets off the line like a rocket. I've never had a quick 4x4 before. Most of my cars would cut the power before giving you a decent shove. All the t5s I've had reduced power in first to stop that happening. I had an ex cid s70 in that slamon pink colour they did and it was probably the fastest car I've owned. That once span the wheels in fourth at about 60mph. I nearly shit myself. You'd and the passengers would get out shaking.
We only got to do a couple of strong pulls before the rad incident sadly, these were rolling starts in the dry so traction wasn't really a problem as there's decent rubber on it too. Tom's set the map to cut at 6K but was short shifting as 5/5.5K is safer on a standard engine apparently. It's got flappy paddles on it and a retrofit controller that overrides the auto box so you decide on when it shifts. It's also got two pieces of very heavy sound deadening material in the boot as he's nowhere else to store it and some tools and bits and pieces. The sum of all that is wheelspin wasn't a problem, yet.

As for output, his V50 is 250bhp and 500NM, the 350 Z is 285BHP and the E Class felt like a fair step above either of them. A turbo like that can't spool that fast so you don't get that peaky feel like a lot of diesels and it was properly pushing me back in my seat. Physics says that the pump will flow enough fuel for circa 500BHP, it's an 8mm Dieselmeken one, iirc Tom said the limiting factor is the turbo?

I'm not sure how much fuel he had requested but I'd definitely say a conservative 350 bhp by arse dyno if it makes a 350Z feel tame. He's getting to grips with the mapping now, it's clean on boost but needs to take a load of fuel out at the bottom end as smoke is a bit* excessive.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

Hooli wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:18 am
Scruffy Bodger wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:24 pm More, decent hose clips are being purchased to as the boost pipes aren't liking 30/35 psi up em, it's been fine previously as it was never going past 20 psi. It made a pretty epic POP last time around!
I recall having to weld a larger ridge onto the ends of the intercooler when I'd tweaked my Tdi Disco years ago. That used to make impressive pops when it dumped 15-20psi of boost as the hoses fell off.
Yep, that's definitely an option, the other is the Blacksmith, he's got a proper, large bead roller stashed somewhere. It's definitely an interesting noise but a bit of a pain in the arse if it keeps happening. IIRC the 306 lot swore by hairspray to keep them stuck in place, along with the clips obvs.
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

Aye mine used to happen mid overtake which was a bit of a pain.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

Hooli wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:59 pm Aye mine used to happen mid overtake which was a bit of a pain.
Fucking dangerous too at times I imagine :shock:
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

Scruffy Bodger wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:06 pm
Hooli wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:59 pm Aye mine used to happen mid overtake which was a bit of a pain.
Fucking dangerous too at times I imagine :shock:
Yeah, that's why I fixed it. After a slight* moment that resulted in lots of braking to get back in behind the dribbling idiot I was trying to get past.