MGB GT fettling

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Re: 405 Quasar Estate

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

bub2006 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:32 pm Do the later 405s have the little IR sensor near the rear view mirror or have they got the radio frequency type? The early IR ones I found pretty pointless as you had to pretty much be stood at the windscreen. Had the IR type on a early clio and a zx. I'm sure another car had the similar style but can't remember what. I'm thinking my early 406 may have been the IR type too.
They are all IR types as far as I know. I've never had a problem with them tbh. As it's IR you know it's got to be line of sight and the sensor is right by the interior mirror, shoot from the hip, point it in the direction of the mirror without a pillar in the way and it'll work every time.

https://www.casio.com/products/archive/ ... /cmd30b-1t
CMD30B-1T_large.png
CMD30B-1T_large.png (284.13 KiB) Viewed 1058 times
All I need to do is get one of them working and copy the pulse to one of these. Someone at college had one years ago. The VCR player had a random fit one afternoon, it was as if it was possessed and the lesson got cancelled, wanted one ever since :lol: One of those watches also got someone a lengthy prison sentence too in days gone by...
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

These remote controller watches were the done thing when I was a teenager too. Someone at our school was always fucking around with TV and videos in class! If you get it working off a controller watch that would be great.
All the IR types I've had either didn't work or were pretty pointless. Have had a few french cars with the sensor but no remote locking too. I think a J plate 205 I had once had it near interior light but it didn't even have central locking.
On subject of 405,i had one when I was in my late teens,around 2004/2005 for a short time. It was a red H reg 1.6 carb GL if I remember right. Odd that it had electric sunroof but nothing else,not even central locking. Paid 30 quid for it after it had been parked in a yard for a long time in Alfreton. Massive water ingress in the rear,paintwork all faded and gone pink in colour too. Ended up trying to evade the old bill in derby City centre when a piece of corroded exhaust centre section fell off on derby ring Road,not ideal with no license,insurance,mot or tax. The thing sounded like a bloody tank and it barked and popped on the over run too. Managed to get to a mates place in Kilburn and used garden metal twine to hold a can in place to cover the hole and fucked it off to some other dodgy geezer for 50 quid.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/1999/jan/26/davidward

Six members of a gang which used a £50 digital watch to crack security codes to steal cars were jailed for a total of 11 years yesterday.
Police estimate that over two years cars worth up to £350,000

Found it! Some people were a little bit more adventurous with them than fucking with college TV's and videos!

I've had various Citroens and Pugs and I think the plippers have worked on every one I've had? Some like you say have the plastic housing for the central locking remote but with no gubbins in them, they seemed to fit them rather than being arsed to make a separate blank?
This one's got a fucked electric sunroof and keep fit windows which does seem a bit odd? Sadly it's nowhere near as high specced as the SRDT but at least it's got power steering.
Sounds like you got lucky with that 30 quid one and made a profit too! Funnily enough I brought a red one about that time for 30 quid too. It was a petrol converted to diesel. Good job too as when parked at my girlfriends in Tipton some cunts tried to nick it. The glow plugs were wired to a switch, they didn't realise that so there was no way of starting it quietly. :lol:
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

Ebay,gumtree and similar along with srappage schemes have fucked the old car market. Me and a friend used to go door knocking for cars sat on drives. One night he had a Renault 21 1.7 and I had a J plate 205 diesel from the same gut. Think we paid 80 for the pair. I had a metro GTa off the admag free for collection,a 30 quid fiesta 1.1 popular plus to name a few. My mate had a few cheap admag cars like a mg montego,bluebird zx turbo and a yugo sana that he outrun Derbyshire plod in a 850 t5 only because he could squeeze through gaps they couldn't!
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

Scrap prices helped as some people were paying to get cars removed. I bought an Audi Coupe for 20 quid :shock: I was only loking for my own transport but it sounds like you and your mate did alright out of it.
As for outrunning a T5 :o must have been a naughty boy :lol: I've always yearned for one of them after watching the season they raced the estates in the Touring Car championship :mrgreen:
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

My mate was a bit of a character in the late 1990s and early 2000s. Well known by the law for driving offences. He always tended to have relatively quick cars as he had a chance to escape the astra diesels before they called in the 5 series or volvo 850.
One of the chases sticks in my head though,he had an F plate suzuki swift GTI 16v and it was a little pocket rocket. Ended up in a chase with the local fiat scudo in the early 2000s. He managed to dive in a pub car park and we legged it. The scudo found a couple of young blokes obviously out of breath walking up the lane so they stopped and asked where he came from. Said was walking and minding our on business when a white car nearly ran us over and it went that way. The van fucked off but came back along lane 10 minutes later and stopped,asked where we was off and kev said somercotes which was about 3 mile away. Offered us a lift back home. Dropped us back off end of street and went on the way. Kev was most distraught when he found out the swift had been vandalised a couple days later.
I think hooli may have met him. He's in his early 40s now and settled with a Mrs and kids. No teeth left due to a amphetamine issue when young which may explain his driving too.
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

As for scrap prices I once received 8 quid for driving a k plate k10 micra over the weighbridge. It was only 11 or 12 years old at the time.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Blimey, I did well getting three pound notes for a Hillman Imp in 1977, then......That was only 13 years old, too!
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/gates/7026628
thumb.jpg
thumb.jpg (27.86 KiB) Viewed 997 times
Forgot it was a bloody Bank Holiday :roll: I think that's the right kit, hopefully comes with a metal water pump? I'll ring my local factors tomorrow and see what their prices are like as it seems like there are warnings of delays everywhere due to OMGCOVIDCHAOS. I left a message with a local mechanic a few days ago but he hasn't got back to me, I don't fancy doing it on the high street.

I've also asked a few people if they can mop it to save me doing it by hand. Dodgy Tom/CLINT didn't seem too interested, he's pretty much packed in doing other peoples cars and Peugeot lacquer gives him the fearz. Another mate said 80 quid and the other wants to see it first.

If it's shinier I'm more liable to look after it.

I had a look at Howmanyleft and it seems there's one more Quasar diesel than SRDT's. So 22 left all in as opposed to 21 :shock:
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

Scratch that. The mechanic is recommending Dayco after an issue with Gates 18 months ago. He reckons the Kevlar construction of the Dayco is superior now?