MGB GT fettling

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
DodgeRover

Re: Scruffy's Scrappers

Post by DodgeRover »

Hooli wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:40 am Big overboosted diesels do make some great noises.
Rev rev rev, rattle rev, rattle rattle, knock, silence....
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

DodgeRover wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:43 pm
Hooli wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:40 am Big overboosted diesels do make some great noises.
The Om606 is pretty capable of big power standard afaik. The auto box is the weak point in the chain on this build I think?
IMG_2805_zpse430d264.jpg
IMG_2805_zpse430d264.jpg (175.14 KiB) Viewed 4748 times
That was his previous project. A VNT turbo off a 3.0 Merc in the end iirc? He made his own Arduino controller and programmed it to control the turbo. The engine was blue-printed so it'll rev smoothly to 6K. He also sent a set of rods off to China with the specs he wanted and commissioned the first set of H section rods for the XUD.
download (3).jpg
download (3).jpg (6.36 KiB) Viewed 4748 times
The head was sent to Sweden to be ported out as they would actually bench flow it and provide CFM measurements. None of the UK Tuners* he approached would do that, the answer they all gave was "we just port it for you M8". I made a custom plenum for it after bastardising a standard one with one off a Gti6 and then made an unequal length 4 into 2 into 1 stainless manifold to re-locate the turbo to where the battery should be. An ATB diff was needed in the end as the wheel spin got a bit* silly. It then had a custom 3" exhaust made so the exhaust could breathe properly :mrgreen:
download (2).jpg
download (2).jpg (17.42 KiB) Viewed 4748 times
Your standard XUD is 90bhp. That one was rolling roaded at 237bhp & 327 ft/lbs on Veg oil. The paddle clutch held up better than the gearboxes :lol:

Hopefully he's done his research on the Merc and it'll be ok.
Arthur Foxhake

Post by Arthur Foxhake »

Is the ZXn no more?
I watched that build develop for a while.
God bless 306.oc, it's a wasteland now.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Scruffy Bodger wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:19 pm
The Om606 is pretty capable of big power standard afaik. The auto box is the weak point in the chain on this build I think?

IMG_2805_zpse430d264.jpg

That was his previous project. A VNT turbo off a 3.0 Merc in the end iirc? He made his own Arduino controller and programmed it to control the turbo. The engine was blue-printed so it'll rev smoothly to 6K. He also sent a set of rods off to China with the specs he wanted and commissioned the first set of H section rods for the XUD

How's he feeling now, have you managed to get it shifted off the road?
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

Arthur Foxhake wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:36 pm Is the ZXn no more?
I watched that build develop for a while.
God bless 306.oc, it's a wasteland now.
As far as I know the ZX is still about but has been parked up for a couple of years. It's going to need pretty major surgery to the underneath if it's ever to see the road again, that much I do know. I saw the underneath of it when it was last MOT'd and it was getting borderline then sadly, at some point in it's life some utter retard had jacked the sills and floor in multiple places and caused all sorts of damage. 306oc is a shame, it was a thriving forum/club.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

DodgeRover wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:20 pm
Scruffy Bodger wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:19 pm

IMG_2805_zpse430d264.jpg

That was his previous project. A VNT turbo off a 3.0 Merc in the end iirc? He made his own Arduino controller and programmed it to control the turbo. The engine was blue-printed so it'll rev smoothly to 6K. He also sent a set of rods off to China with the specs he wanted and commissioned the first set of H section rods for the XUD

How's he feeling now, have you managed to get it shifted off the road?
He's not in a good place tbh, I'm hoping what we've managed to do will help him with a bit of motivation but we'll have to see. His flat has a bit of a yard at the back but access is really awkward and there's not much room. He's managed to get his V50 onto there once but it was tight. We'd gone down there in a Galaxy so test fitted that, my mate managed to clip both mirrors, one on the way in, one on the way out... So it turned out it was down to me to try and get it off the road as no-one else wanted to do it. Thankfully with RWD allowing for a good steering angle I got it through the gates without fucking it up, there's about 4 inches left of space but now the fuckers can't tow it way as it's on SORN.
Getting it up the kerb at a 45 degree angle with all 4 brakes dragging was interesting* The thing just sounds like it wants to take off each time you press the throttle!
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

I've finally got the Volvo V50 I bought ages ago officially on the road.
download.jpg
download.jpg (13.53 KiB) Viewed 4656 times
Anyone in the Midlands area know anyone with the Volvo equivalent of the above, as in the Dice software? The fucker is still playing up and not returning anything like the mpg's it should. My mate with the Merc plugged it in to his software quickly last year but literally only had 15 mins to plug it in and assess it. From what I understand it's had a DPF delete and the software has had the equivalent of a frontal lobotomy by some butcher in order to not have any fault codes come up on the dash. Sometimes it'l run ok but then it'll fail to rev properly and lose lot's of power. It is however not going into limp mode, it'll only do 3.25K revs under load but maybe rev to just over 4K without load, sometimes less. After a short run yesterday it's showing 27mpg average and I was only tickling it. It's meant to do 72mpg on a run as it's the 1.6Hdi PSA unit, supposedly the worst engine they've ever made.
To get it back to sorts I've found if you pull the vacuum pipe off the VNT control at the turbo when switched off the arm will move back to what I'm assuming is its at rest position and some power will return, for a bit... You can move the actuator freely if pressing on it with a screwdriver and it has had a new turbo in the past.
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

I have had fuse box trouble with 2 V50's but when they played up it cut all throttle response. I had my electronics guy go over the fuse box and resolder a whole load of joints and both been fine since. Kicking the n/s dash got one working that wouldn't reset by switching on and off
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

panhard65 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:42 pm I have had fuse box trouble with 2 V50's but when they played up it cut all throttle response. I had my electronics guy go over the fuse box and resolder a whole load of joints and both been fine since. Kicking the n/s dash got one working that wouldn't reset by switching on and off
Ta. I may have to re-visit that then. I had heard about problems so last year I took the whole fuse box out and cleaned every fuse, relay and connection on the whole thing. It's sat a lot since then and I didn't get chance to road test it properly afterwards but it did seem to help a bit. I didn't spot any dry joints but didn't look that hard for them tbh as didn't know they could suffer from that. It may not help that the windscreen has started coming away from the car at the roof and the odd drip is getting in. Going to need to sort that asap.
tmp-cam-1467388564.jpg
tmp-cam-1467388564.jpg (332.33 KiB) Viewed 4649 times
tmp-cam-1623036541.jpg
tmp-cam-1623036541.jpg (108.67 KiB) Viewed 4649 times
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

I took the V50 to my local garage yesterday and he kindly plugged in his Snap On diagnostic to it. It ran a list of about 7 faults, boost issues, DPF issues and the main one being a permanent fault on the ECU itself that won't reset. He reckoned I need a new ECU, dash binnacle and immobiliser set with key to sort it, either that or torch it. Balls!