MGB GT fettling

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

MGB GT fettling

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

I thought it might be good to add a bit of content of my own to the forum so here's a brief summary of a few pieces of shite I've helped save over the last couple of years and my current daily jalopy.

First up is the 405. It's now showing as one of 4 left currently road registered and I bloody love it. It's an SRDT that is totally standard and now has just over 43K on the clocks. It's got a few storage marks and scratches but is overall pretty tidy, thankfully so far has zero lacquer peel and the gearknob is currently not falling to bits, nor is the headline sagging. It drives very well indeed and went through it's last 2 tests with no advisories. I thought the MOT bloke had banged his head last time he was under it, he exclaimed "Fuck me" after a minute or so. I asked if he was OK, his reply, "Yeah but I can't believe how clean this fucking car is underneath!" :mrgreen:

I didn't fancy playing cambelt roulette with it so it was fetched back from Guildford to Shropshire on a transporter. It was treated to a gates belt kit, new water pump and serpentine belt. The previous belt had only done 3K but I didn't want to chance it. Since then I've changed the original glow plugs for some decent Bosch ones and put a couple of new Michelins on the back. I've had a couple of 405's in the past that were £30 and £75 respectively but I still don't regret buying this one for a lot more than that.
Last edited by Scruffy Bodger on Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:44 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Paulscav&405

Re: Scruffy's Scrappers

Post by Paulscav&405 »

I have never actually seen an srdt. I guess that will be a keeper then.?
MRustbucket

Post by MRustbucket »

Your 405 is in lovely nick. I didn't realise how good looking they are when they were new. Time has been kind: they're elegant things.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

Paulscav&405 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:29 pm I have never actually seen an srdt. I guess that will be a keeper then.?
Definitely, just wish I had somewhere I could mothball it for pennies and use it on decent days only. I could really do with a 405 estate instead. AFAIK it's basically an SRi with a derv lump and drum brakes on the back instead of disks. There's only 23 showing registered now all in so pretty rare for a 405. It's fairly well specced with electric mirrors, sunroof, windows x4, ABS, power steering, really good seats and decent steering wheel but is lacking air-con, heated leather electric seats etc off the really posh models. All fine by me as that all just adds weight.
MRustbucket wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:48 pm Your 405 is in lovely nick. I didn't realise how good looking they are when they were new. Time has been kind: they're elegant things.
It's not bad for a 25 year old car, not perfect by any means but not bad. I think they've aged well too tbh Pininfarina does have quite a lot of previous on designing ok looking cars though. That arse end is certainly easy to spot in a car park now!
Paulscav&405

Post by Paulscav&405 »

Bit like my SRi spec. Good for the time. I have got a sunroof but it’s seized shut. Still at least it doesn’t leak
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Good work. Love that first pic, too.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
Sri05

Post by Sri05 »

Sex on wheels. 405's are really appealing to me recently, that one looks mint
Chancer
Damned bloated plutocrat landlord

Post by Chancer »

Always wanted a 405 but never had the chance. Absolutely love this one! Looks mint
Keeping them mowing blades sharp
cros
The Elastrator

Post by cros »

Superb looking cars.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

We had an SRDT 405 as the pool car when I worked for the Benefits Agency, it was a lovely thing really and the only nearly new car I've ever driven!