Sics Consolidated Faded Moderns Thread - 2003 E320 & 2006 Golf Mk5 GTI

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Re: Sics Consolidated Moderns Thread

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

A 1.6 DV6 (PSA) Diesel MINI clutch job is £1500+.

BMW quote £2600 or so.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Decided to pull the little bastard out and put the Boxster away given the weather is a bit rubbish again. Boxsters power delivery is an order of magnitude smoother. The mini is definitely a slower car but more frantic in its delivery. Nowhere near as linear or progressive than the Boxster.

Gave it a good caning up various hills in different gears to see if the clutch would slip. Of course it wouldn't...

There is a faint whiff of a burning rubber type smell when you hammer it. Not sure if the clutch slips ever so slightly or just the amount of oil around the engine starts burning off when driving hard.

Again, for now, the clutch will be a monitor rather than replace. If it was a couple hundred quid, I'd got it done. But for nearly a grand the car needs to prove itself first.

Main thing that needs sorting is the slow speed fan resistor which I'll do in the next week or so hopefully. Then get that offside top mount, CV gaiter and wheel speed sorted. Wondering if I'd be better just replacing the whole driveshaft given I think the bearing for the speed sensor is on there? Also replace the wheel speed sensor at the same time. Either way, I'll outsource that to a professional as too much on my plate and a job I CBA really doing either.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

700 miles in and I think it might be curtains for this Mini. Clutch slip is getting worse now. Still drivable but accelerating hard from 2.5k revs in 3rd and 4th will provoke it to slip. I'm struggling with justifying the economics of getting it changed.

Local garage quoted £900 to replace it with the flywheel and they'd prefer to do it that way. I didn't get back to find out how much without but iirc the flywheel is about £300 from most places.

The car also really needs:
- front offside CV gaiter + top mount - ~£150 fitted.
- front offside wheel speed sensor + bearing - ~£175 fitted.
- exhaust is blowing - ~£100 if I find something second hand.
- supercharger servicing - £50 for parts and half a day work for me.

Other less essential things is a aircon regas (£50) and the tyres are ditchfinders that also slow leak. Plenty of tread on them so possibly would just need reseating/sealing (~£40). New tyres all round is ~£400 sort of price point but no point with so much tread on (rears new this year).

Without the clutch, I would be looking at spending £400-500 to sort the other bits. For what I paid I'd be ok with that.

Unfortunately with the clutch I'm realistically looking at £1.2k to £1.5k for sorting everything. Scrap should see £500 pretty easily and breaking it more (but hassle). For £1.7k to £2k of scrap+cost to fix this I could get another one and roll the dice again.

For now I'll carry on driving it till it gets worse and forces my hand to make a decision.

You win some, you loose some.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Picked up a cheap banger today. With the Bini clutch nearly had it, Boxster going off for roof repairs and the BGT having its misbehaving streak, I needed something. Simply no time to sort the Bini, BGT I'm not allowed to commute in and the Boxster disappearing for a few weeks. Had a look last night and found this at a bomb site style dealer.

Cheap because p/x, ABS light is on and dodgy paintwork repairs. Clutch does seem on the high side. Clean tidy, plenty of tyre tread and pads. Drove straight and true, if a bit gutless. Few slight knocks over bumps maybe. Cheap enough though that if it lasts 2 weeks and scrapped, it was cheaper than a car rental. But a bit too good for that though.

Paint work has got some comedic rattle can spray repairs. Bet the paint underneath is in better shape that this repair.

Google says abs light is caused often by dodgy fuses. Strip fuses that live on top of the battery

Took a bit of poking to realise there is an additional section here

Fuses all good though. Bugger

Quick check of interior fuses spotted one missing where there are electrical contacts. Could be it be?

Found a 5A blade fuse in my stash.

Started up and ... Result!

Quick scan showed a few intermittent codes. Cleared and I'll see if they come back.

Air filter looks brand new.
ImageImage

Engine oil is at minimum and the engine is a bit rattly. Not sure TADIS. I'll probably get some cheap oil and filter to bung on.

PAS is there and clean.

Possibly could do with a top up though.

Service history is just the book. No record of cambelt.

However it looks like someone has been here before in its 15 year history. Belt doesn't look too bad either.

Throttle body was filthy.

Gave it a quick clean out. Accelerates much smoother now, especially letting off the throttle.

Washer fluid container appears to leak though. Guessing it'll be a bumper off job to replace.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

Grim. Well done!
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

It's some proper VAG porridge. Slow but not horrifically slow. Suspension soft and wobbly but handled bumps pretty well. Seats actually reasonably comfortable. Engine muted, even at 70mph/3k rpm. Gets upto 70mph reasonably well too.

Sport model. So got a boot Spoiler for keeping that 75bhp FWD power house under control. Also got a (fake) exhaust tip.

Usual weird VAG spec. No heated mirrors (FFS cheapskates), manual mirrors, front electric windows, remote central locking, MPG/etc computer and air conditioning (broken - regas?)

Few rattles through the suspension. Probably something to do with these advisories.
Screenshot_20211014-234349.png
Screenshot_20211014-234349.png (298.81 KiB) Viewed 1357 times
Paid 400 quid and worth 223 quid scrap. So a £177 car? Cheaper than a few weeks car rental. Probably could end up selling it on for a small profit if I don't go spending silly amounts. (clutch will go now I've said that)

Post by Guest »

My brother had one of those for years, originally his wife's car and then kept for his kids to use when they were home. None of them managed to kill it and it was still going strong when he got rid of it. The only thing I remember him moaning about was the drivers window mechanism it went through a few.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Windows mechanism seems to work fine on this but the switch is a bit dodgy. Works fine with the key in the door lock but the switch itself requires multiple pushes. Not doubt it's had a new mechanism some point in its life.

Do these have hydraulic lifters? Forums say to try 10w-40 instead of 5w-30 as that can help with the rattling of the engine. Just need to find some cheap oil and filter to bung on. Only 3.2l capacity too. Given the dipstick is at minimum, there must only be like 2.2l of oil in the sump. Probably VAG does that to save the cost of a litre of oil at production time I bet.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Unless these are a specific engine not to then I would put an engine flush through it and drop the correct spec oil into it. Chances are if it's been burning a drop or two the changes have been neglected.
Unless that is like on the V6 Duratec where they charged the oil viscosity requirements simply for emissions reasons mid way - the earlier engines recommended 5/30 the same engine a couple of years later required 0/20 and then had oil pressure related issues once no longer new.....
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Spec says VW spec oil. Problem is that is a whole load of oil specs. But usually 5w-30. So probably that gets put in just because the spec says.

However as these are quite an old design (75bhp from a 1.4 FFS) I did wonder if they actually prefer a older and more traditional grade oil. No 10w40 I can see that meets those VAG specs. However there is mineral oil in 15w40 that meets their 501.01 spec.
Attachments
Screenshot_20211015-114223.png
Screenshot_20211015-114223.png (943.35 KiB) Viewed 1328 times