Sics Consolidated Faded Moderns Thread - 2003 E320 & 2006 Golf Mk5 GTI

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: Sics Consolidated Moderns Thread

Post by SiC »

No. That's a BMW specific reader. The knock-off ds150e probably can do Jag. Run the software in a VM though as it's Trojan laden.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Thanks.
Private signature, do not read
Drum
Not Your Average Hoarder

Post by Drum »

Hooli wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:31 pm As you know your modern shite, do you think that code reader would work on my XJR too? I need to invest in one to track down the ABS fault but I've no real idea what I'm looking at with them.
Most scan tools only do the EML codes. Make sure the one you buy does SRS and ABS codes too. The Autel one I have does both and does most makes.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Drum wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:51 pm
Hooli wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:31 pm As you know your modern shite, do you think that code reader would work on my XJR too? I need to invest in one to track down the ABS fault but I've no real idea what I'm looking at with them.
Most scan tools only do the EML codes. Make sure the one you buy does SRS and ABS codes too. The Autel one I have does both and does most makes.
Aye, the only one I have is the very cheap one SiC suggested years ago for either the Laguna or Saab (I forget which).
Private signature, do not read
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

A4 passed its MOT on Tuesday. Currently at 205k odd miles. Had a oil service, rear spring and front pads+discs. Came to about £415. I'm hoping it'll get to another MOT next year but given the miles it's done, it's hard to know.

In Mini related news, the garage came back with a quote of £900 for the clutch and flywheel. Actually about what I was expecting. I don't know how much it was without a flywheel but I know they said they'd much prefer it being replaced. Flywheels look to be about £300, so that makes it £600 for just the clutch - again what I expected.

However it's decided to stop slipping at the moment? Maybe it felt sorry for me. Or the fact oil is absolutely everywhere, the clutch was slightly contaminated from a leak into the house that's now burnt off? Dunno but I can't afford £900 this month having just paid out on the A4 and panels for the Moggie. So it'll have to wait, especially as it's not slipping unless provoked.

Drivers window packed up yesterday. A good few thumps above the speaker while actuating the switch got it going again. Motor lives there and apparently they can go sticky - hitting it fixed it. My mates Focus MK1 needed similar and it never had a problem again after that.

Finally I plugged in the scantool on the drive home yesterday. Watching the ABS wheel speeds, the front right at 60mph/100kph is a good 10kph faster than the others. Likewise 30mph/50kph it's around 5kph faster. Solves which sensor/wheel bearing is at fault. Handily it's the side that needs the new outer CV boot and top mount. Also did wonder if the driveshaft could have been replaced at some point and the wrong one fitted?
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

To fast is wierd, I wonder if the reluctor ring thingy on that side has a different number of teeth to the other?
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

That is what makes me wonder if it has the wrong driveshaft. Or some metallic dirt in-between the teeth that causes it to look like an extra tooth. It was consistently 10% out too.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

That's what made me think, if it was random you could put it down to play in the bearing or a dodgy sensor, consistent is wierd. It doesn't have an undersized tyre on that corner or anything odd?
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Nope same size as the others. Not sure if it's an identical wear level or the same brand though. But to be exactly 10% from that I'd be surprised.

Looking at pictures of R53 driveshafts, it doesn't look to have a reluctor ring. Instead I think its picked up from the bearing - possibly what red5 was alluding to earlier in this thread. If so, then possibly had a new driveshaft with the wrong bearing in it at some point in its history.
Drum
Not Your Average Hoarder

Post by Drum »

I've had two clutch and dmf jobs done in the past. Golf and santa fe. Both about the same price as yours, well the santa fe was closer to £1200 if memory serves.

Good mileage on the A4. Mine was sold still going strong with 208000 on it.