Sics Consolidated Faded Moderns Thread - 2003 E320 & 2006 Golf Mk5 GTI

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: Sics Consolidated Moderns Thread

Post by SiC »

Some impressively bad paint repairs

Check the paint run on this

Sports model

Fake sports exhaust

With a spoiler

As shit as it is, it actually isn't too bad a car. VAG do really know how to make a interior feel alright and drive acceptably. As I someone said to me, Porridge is good for you.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Did an oil change on the Shitbox Fabia yesterday evening.

VAG have this weird thing where they put the air filter into the engine cover. Which this cover is just push fitted onto the engine

Sucked the oil out for convenience.

Oil filter is in a ridiculous place on this car. To the right of the alternator, right next to the manifold. Had to wait till the engine cooled down before I could get my hand down there.

Oil filters have a hex socket on the end. Thought it was weird but made sense once trying to get the damn thing out.

Naturally I got engine oil everywhere trying to remove it. Stinks now as the mancat gets hot and burns it off.

Pollen filter is filthy. Will need to get another. Fiver from GSF.

Offside droplink is buggered too. Boot split and loads of play. Explains the noise going over bumps. £11 Drivetech cheap or £14 "GSF Premium".

Radio surround was blutack on. Basically whoever fitted it didn't put the cage through the inner surround first. Just put on top with blutack and then the outer cage radio surround was too far out to clip on.

Pulled it all out and fitted it properly. Including pushing in the retaining tabs as best as I could. Which was also not done.

Also disabled that really annoying beep on ignition off that Sony Head Units do to remind you to remove the faceplate. Irritatingly it forgets all it's settings when you disconnect the power.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

SiC wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:37 am Did an oil change on the Shitbox Fabia
You've taken that too far.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Pretty bloody good mpg for a petrol

Kinda feeling for, what I now affectionately term, this little shitbox. Not sure if it's because it's so worthless that it's the most zero shits you can give about motoring. Economical, chuckable, light+easy to drive, anonymous, simple and super cheap parts. Seats are comfortable, interior isn't too grim and lights work well.

Just been out to get a pollen filter and new droplink. £16 for both.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Eddie Honda wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:36 am
SiC wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:37 am Did an oil change on the Shitbox Fabia
You've taken that too far.
Felt like it deserved a bit of love given the ABS fault that got it knocked down by £350 was that fuse.

I have done my usual trick of keeping spending on stuff though. Oil, filter and redex £20. Droplink and pollen filter £16. Also got a new washer bottle and pump coming for the huge sum of £36. Given I got £50 off, that's £22 extra expenditure from my original purchase price.

Bet the clutch will go soon to piss me right off. 🤣

But then probably only like 3 to 4 hours labour tops for a clutch on this? Clutch £110 for LUK, £55 for GSF standard. So £200 to £300ish for a clutch job at a garage?

Given the original retail price of £750 before the fault, my total expenditure if that happened should be break even. I'd almost be inclined to get it fixed as I should be able to shift a fully working car in the current climate for that sort of money.

(Clutch is probably fine even if its a bit high)
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Is it actually an automatically adjusted clutch? Any chance you could put some extra slack in the cable?
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Haven't looked but I presumed it was a hydraulic clutch and thus be self adjusting.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

That's a decent amout of switch blanks ftw.
Attachments
Polish_20211016_135101878.png
Polish_20211016_135101878.png (338.89 KiB) Viewed 1563 times
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Bet that heated rear window was a cost option too.
BusmansHoliday

Post by BusmansHoliday »

I've had three of that version of Fabia (albeit diesels) and I've loved them all (bought new), W reg, 03 and 53. The latter was the VRS which my father bought and I bought it of him at 12 months when he fancied a new one. Had that until 2013, commuted 90 miles a day in it!
The drop links can fail for fun, but are cheap enough and easy enough (with an angry grinder) to change.
Steering angle sensors can also be a bit wank as well but again, not difficult to change and don't need programming. Other than that, and a failed passenger door lock motor, regular servicing was all I did.
Enjoy.