Sub Par Cars

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SubPar

Re: Sub Par Cars - 323 + 205 = 528

Post by SubPar »

The BMW now has a full set of matching 205/55/R16 Uniroyal Rainsport 5s. Now all the tyres (including the spare) are the same size.

I also replaced both the right-hand engine mount and the gearbox mount on the 205 today. There's no slop in the drivetrain when engaging or letting off power. However, it has a bit of a heat problem.

The interior heater works fine, but after a few miles of driving the rad fan comes on and stays on. The rad is also cold apart from the area immediately around where the top hose (out of the thermostat) enters it.

The coolant was quite low, so I topped it up. Now the interior heater is even fiercer but the engine bay symptoms are the same.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Time too flush the rad, realise it didn't work and get it re-cored them?
Private signature, do not read
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

Hooli wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:13 am Time too flush the rad, realise it didn't work and get it re-cored them?
Perhaps, or perhaps not.

Things just got weirder this morning. I started it from cold, and it idled just fine.
So I took it for a drive to see what it would do with some heat in it...

The second I started moving, the fan kicked in. Everything was still absolutely stone cold. I didn't even get out of the car park.

It seems as though the fan is too eager to kick in, and the reason most of the rad is staying cool is because of this!
I'm trying to recall where the fan sensor/switch thingy is though. There's a sensor on the thermostat housing (nice and easy to get to), so if it is that, I could unplug it and see what happens.

Never once has it actually overheated and put on the warning light though.
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

I haven't posted in here in a while. Oh well, here goes.

I've sourced all the required parts for the 205 but haven't fitted any of them. It still puts the fan on pretty much all the time, and it's still knocking from the rear engine mount. I'm still pottering about in it locally because it's just so amusing to chuck about.

A visit to reb's unit is in order between Christmas and New Year, perhaps. We'll see how our schedules line up.

The rear engine mount needs pressed in, but reb has a spare bracket for a rear engine mount. So I could potentially leave my new mount with him, to get it pressed in on a day his friendly mechanic is available, then swap the whole bracket over.

The BMW has been making a slight tapping from the top end. After consulting local experts on BMW I6s (the brothers touring) I was advised to check the spark plugs. They're wont to come loose on these due to the heating and cooling cycles and the different metals.

Well I'll be dipped, as Derek off Vice Grip Garage says. It worked.

It idles more smoothly and seems to have gained a few ponies. It definitely needed it, plugs 1, 4 and 5 were finger tight!

Today I also did something childish, with the aid of just a 10mm spanner and a flathead screwdriver:

That's the air box. It's located behind the left headlight. There was a trumpet piece inside it, which narrowed the intake and ran about halfway back through the air box. Now it's removed, that hole just goes straight to the filter itself.

It's a tiny bit throatier in normal driving, but nothing obnoxious. However, when I get it above 4 grand at WOT it makes an absolutely hilarious snarling noise that resonates around the cabin. I'll call that a success.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Loose spark plugs is something I tend to see on certain bikes too, funny how the engine improves when the compression isn't leaking out isn't it?
Private signature, do not read
BenHar
Banned Grinch!

Post by BenHar »

SubPar wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:37 pm

Today I also did something childish, with the aid of just a 10mm spanner and a flathead screwdriver:

That's the air box. It's located behind the left headlight. There was a trumpet piece inside it, which narrowed the intake and ran about halfway back through the air box. Now it's removed, that hole just goes straight to the filter itself.

It's a tiny bit throatier in normal driving, but nothing obnoxious. However, when I get it above 4 grand at WOT it makes an absolutely hilarious snarling noise that resonates around the cabin. I'll call that a success.
Do you think that BMW put that in there for a laugh?

They will have spent a great deal of time and money getting the intake tract at the optimum shape to produce the best power from the engine.

If you are worried about the noise it makes just get a recording of a V8 and play it through the stereo.

Ben
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

Ben does have a point there but maybe he has been a grown up all his life and doesn't quite get that silly noises from rubbish modifications always bring a smile.
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
captain_70s

Post by captain_70s »

BenHar wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:57 pmThey will have spent a great deal of time and money getting the intake tract at the optimum shape to produce the best power from the engine.
Hitler spent a lot of time and money killing Jews, but it didn't make him a happy man.

The Acclaim without it's airfilter is pleasingly rorty for pensioner special, but you end up with carbs full of leaves, which ruins the fun.

I imagine it'd also lose it's lustre on the motorway sitting at a steady 70mph/3,500rpm...
1976 Triumph Dolomite 1850HL - Field based greenhouse.
1977 Triumph Dolomite 1300 - Lean green oil dripping machine.
1983 Triumph Acclaim L - Japanglish daily runner.
1989 Volvo 740GLE Estate - Mobile storage unit.
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

Sorry.

I forgot I wasn't allowed to have fun.

Also, the way I see it is that it existed to quieten down the intake on what was marketed as a luxury sports saloon when new.

But yeah, it's totally ruined the power output. I've undone all of BMW's hard work. It can't even keep up with a supermini now. The 205 is faster.

Fuck off Ben. I'm glad I can at least avoid you on the beige. Merry Christmas you cunt.
Arthur Foxhake

Post by Arthur Foxhake »

You can ignore miserable cunts on here as well by the way. I use it for people* who shitpost loads of crap links with no reference and generally babble the same misinformed crap over and over.

*One person.