Sub Par Cars

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Split_Pin

Re: Sub Par Cars

Post by Split_Pin »

SubPar wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:02 pm That he does!

More than I can say about my cars. The E36 is crying out for a session of polishing.
You're welcome to bring the E36 down to mine for a wash and polish chap.
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

Split_Pin wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:12 am
SubPar wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:02 pm That he does!

More than I can say about my cars. The E36 is crying out for a session of polishing.
You're welcome to bring the E36 down to mine for a wash and polish chap.
Aren't you busy at the weekends though?

Anyway. I had a look at the Civic's boot catch yesterday to see if I could just run some string to it.
No dice.
The release lever on it is surrounded on all sides, and there's no good routing to run a string near it anyway. Bumhats.

I'll need to fix it properly then. A BCM shall need to be sourced from a breaker, or I'd at least like to run a 12V feed to the catch and see if it does anything. I hate doing electrics.
Split_Pin

Post by Split_Pin »

Aye weekends are oot for me but the lighter nights are coming in, during the week would be fine with me :)
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

Time for an update.

Nothing mega exciting has happened.

On Saturday I went to an old school scrapyard over in Falkirk and managed to source a space saver spare wheel for the Civic. It oddly has all the jacks, towing eyes etc. but it didn't have a spare wheel. Now it does.

I also liberated a perfect condition wooden gear knob from an E39 5 series to replace the split leather gear knob in my E36:

That same day I met Ged, who is a fellow resident of Retroshite's unit and he's pretty handy with electricals.
He had made up a boot latch solution for the Civic.
The boot handle button and the latch itself both tested fine for continuity on a multimeter, but it seems for some reason the signal isn't getting all the way to/from the ECU at the front of the car.

Ged's solution involved the use of a cheapy aftermarket remote locking kit. It's plugged into the 12v lighter socket inside the boot, and with the use of its own remote it sends 12v directly to the boot latch, to pop the boot.

I need to have the ignition on for it to work, but in a way that's an extra level of security! Either way, I have a boot that opens now.

Then on Sunday I popped over to Knockhill to watch the first SMRC meet of the year. A brilliant day of racing for only £16 entry!
IMG_8599.jpg
IMG_8599.jpg (430.28 KiB) Viewed 5828 times
IMG_8604.jpg
IMG_8604.jpg (431.23 KiB) Viewed 5828 times
IMG_8610.jpg
IMG_8610.jpg (398.81 KiB) Viewed 5828 times
IMG_8616.jpg
IMG_8616.jpg (366.46 KiB) Viewed 5828 times
IMG_8617.jpg
IMG_8617.jpg (376.58 KiB) Viewed 5828 times
IMG_8619.jpg
IMG_8619.jpg (261.2 KiB) Viewed 5828 times
IMG_8677_02.jpg
IMG_8677_02.jpg (327.52 KiB) Viewed 5828 times
That white SD1 was lairy as fuck. It exited almost every corner sideways, and ended up dominating both classics class races.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Sounds a fruitful weekend.....SD1 oversteer well worth the £16 too. Must get out to some of this stuff this year instead of just pissing it up in rock and roll clubs!
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

That's how SD1s should be driven
Private signature, do not read
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

I've had a decent long weekend.

On Friday I went to East Fortune air museum, followed by Myreton Motor Museum.

They have a special something at East Fortune...
IMG_8700.jpg
IMG_8700.jpg (367.94 KiB) Viewed 5764 times
IMG_8711.jpg
IMG_8711.jpg (355.97 KiB) Viewed 5764 times
IMG_8717.jpg
IMG_8717.jpg (350.77 KiB) Viewed 5764 times
Yes, I had a quick look inside too. Claustrophobic is one way of describing it. It's really not that big.

On Saturday I changed the oil and filter on the BMW. Then I gave it a proper hand wash. Then I helped rip the cylinder head off an MGB engine that was sitting on a pallet. A normal Saturday afternoon, really.

Then yesterday I went to Doune Hill Climb:

Both of the cars together:
a spaceship and a bmw.jpeg
a spaceship and a bmw.jpeg (535.69 KiB) Viewed 5764 times
Aye, that's an alright pair. Both are over 2 litres, too. None of this namby pamby shit with engine displacements starting with a 1 for me!

The Civic is the sort of thing I should have bought in the first place. While the 205 was hilarious, the Civic will do motorway speeds in silence (on the cruise control) with air conditioning going, while doing pretty much exactly the same fuel economy of the 205. It also goes like fuck. I reckon it's at least as quick as the BMW.
In terms of noise it doesn't come anywhere close to a BMW I6 hitting VANOS though. Not even on the same continent.
It does make pleasing turbo whooshing noises, however.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

That saffron Spridget at Doune looked as if it was going well.....
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

I can't be arsed asking any questions over on the beige.
Especially about old BMWs as it seems there's an unwritten rule that people over there have to hate them / ignore their existence when I post about them.

However, a couple of things:

- Is there a way of refurbishing the gear linkages from above / inside the car? It's not bad at all, but could be better. I'm also too lazy to start fannying about underneath the car unless I absolutely have to.
- Do these have adjustable rear tracking? I reckon it needs the tracking done, but considering whether it needs a 4-wheel alignment.
- Anybody know of a reputable source for an M50B25 intake manifold? It's a fun idea to add another 20hp but the only ones I can find are listed on ebay for sale from "Default Address" in Lithuania. Err, no thanks. It's more of a want than a need though. Not a problem if I don't get one.

I also have a slot booked in with Gingernutz in June sometime to get all the scabby bits tidied up, mainly the boot lid. I've also asked him to remove the spoiler. Said spoiler doesn't seem to be a genuine M-tech one, so no great loss. It flexes and catches the sunlight on a lumpy road, causing reflections in the mirror. It's quite distracting.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

SubPar wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:20 pm
- Is there a way of refurbishing the gear linkages from above / inside the car? It's not bad at all, but could be better. I'm also too lazy to start fannying about underneath the car unless I absolutely have to.
- Do these have adjustable rear tracking? I reckon it needs the tracking done, but considering whether it needs a 4-wheel alignment.
- Anybody know of a reputable source for an M50B25 intake manifold? It's a fun idea to add another 20hp but the only ones I can find are listed on ebay for sale from "Default Address" in Lithuania. Err, no thanks. It's more of a want than a need though. Not a problem if I don't get one.
No. It's a lift/ramp job. A short shift lever is a good plan but not Ebay shite. Z3 or Z4 levers are good.

Yes, The three bolt t/a bracket is adjustable for toe in/out.

No. Rocking horse shit. Wait for a UK seller of repute and get bummed for £300. You'll need a remap to get the best from it. Enda Tuning is good.