Sub Par Cars

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Split_Pin

Re: Sub Par Cars - 323 + 205 = 528

Post by Split_Pin »

Fuck it man, have some fun, a six pot induction roar is ace.

I spent years putting fruity exhausts on stuff and it was purely for the sporty* noise.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

BenHar wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:57 pm
SubPar wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:37 pm

Today I also did something childish, with the aid of just a 10mm spanner and a flathead screwdriver:

That's the air box. It's located behind the left headlight. There was a trumpet piece inside it, which narrowed the intake and ran about halfway back through the air box. Now it's removed, that hole just goes straight to the filter itself.

It's a tiny bit throatier in normal driving, but nothing obnoxious. However, when I get it above 4 grand at WOT it makes an absolutely hilarious snarling noise that resonates around the cabin. I'll call that a success.
Do you think that BMW put that in there for a laugh?

They will have spent a great deal of time and money getting the intake tract at the optimum shape to produce the best power from the engine.

If you are worried about the noise it makes just get a recording of a V8 and play it through the stereo.

Ben
Bloody hell Ben lighten up a bit unless you're being humourous and it's not coming across. Much more of this and I reckon Hooli will put Grinch in your header.
BenHar
Banned Grinch!

Post by BenHar »

SubPar wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:45 am Merry Christmas you cunt.
Merry Christmas to you, too.

Ben
BenHar
Banned Grinch!

Post by BenHar »

LynehamHerc wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:41 pm Bloody hell Ben lighten up a bit unless you're being humourous and it's not coming across. Much more of this and I reckon Hooli will put Grinch in your header.
Having grown up on cars with no power (Heralds) I have always been interested in improving performance, not noise.

I'm also a miserable cunt, so I think Banned Grinch would be fine.

Ben
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

BenHar wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:47 pm
I'm also a miserable cunt, so I think Banned Grinch would be fine.

Ben
Granted.

Bob.
Private signature, do not read
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

I did something yesterday I should have done weeks ago.

I stuck my head under the front bumper and unplugged the radiator sensor on the 205. I also adjusted the throttle cable.

No more cooling fan shenanigans and it gets up to temperature properly too. The correct sensor is on order after I discovered that ECP stock the same (wrong) sensor under two different pictures and part numbers.

Seeing as the raffle has died on its arse, it drives a bit better now, and my insurance renewal was hilariously cheap (£200) perhaps it'll hang around for a while.

Yeah, it's not the best on the motorway but it works and is in reasonable condition. What else could one get for the same price with the state of the market right now?

The best car in the world is the one you already own, etc.
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

Suppose I should post something, somewhere about my cars.

Last Sunday I changed the oil, oil filter, air filter and the rocker cover gasket on the 205.

I've yet to fit the stainless steel coolant hard line in the driver's wheel arch.

Today I rotated the tyres and gave all the wheel bolts wee dabs of copper grease. Some of them were so dry they echoed round the neighbourhood as I undid them.

I then also checked the tyre pressures. They were all down at 20psi... I know it's a small, lightweight car but that's suboptimal. It now has 32psi in the front and 30psi in the rear. My default go-to on most cars, but it's probably wrong. Whatever, it drives better now.

A couple of weeks ago I gave the max fuel screw on the fuel pump quarter of a turn extra. It's improved the mid-range responsiveness a wee bit. However, when adjusting the max fuel, one must also turn the idle down. I seemingly turned it down just a tiny bit too far, as it has since been struggling to start when stone cold (it didn't previously). It would catch for a few revolutions then cut out again if I didn't blip it quickly enough. Today I turned the idle back up a tiny bit and it's much more keen to start again. I also let a little bit of slack back into the throttle cable (just a tiny bit) to make a bit smoother to drive at low speeds too.

I went to the shops in the 205, where I discovered the rear wiper motor is strong enough to lift a seagull. As I was reversing out of the parking space a seagull landed on the rear wiper blade. I flicked the wiper on and lifted the bastard a few inches up the screen before it flew off. A wee boy across the car park was in stitches at this all unfolding as well. :lol:

I then spent the afternoon climbing a big hill and watching the second of the storms battering Scotland this weekend roll in down the valley. Got back to the car just as the rain started. Good timing.

The BMW is still fine. I should probably drive it at some point. It got a run on Monday when I gave Split_pin a lift to collect his Rover 75, so that counts.

Hell, the 205 was bought with the intention of keeping the BMW away from winter usage, so it's fine.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

If it feels a bit sluggish to start and from what you've said on the road maybe try pushing the pump back a touch towards the engine? Maybe it didn't quite get timed up spot on when someone did the belt? It should also help make the most out of the extra fuel you've just given it?
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

Scruffy Bodger wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:41 pm If it feels a bit sluggish to start and from what you've said on the road maybe try pushing the pump back a touch towards the engine? Maybe it didn't quite get timed up spot on when someone did the belt? It should also help make the most out of the extra fuel you've just given it?
Ooooh, I've never messed with the advance / retard on an XUD before.

I know roughly how to do it though, don't the top two bolts sit in slots so you can do that?
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

SubPar wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:21 pm
Scruffy Bodger wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:41 pm If it feels a bit sluggish to start and from what you've said on the road maybe try pushing the pump back a touch towards the engine? Maybe it didn't quite get timed up spot on when someone did the belt? It should also help make the most out of the extra fuel you've just given it?
Ooooh, I've never messed with the advance / retard on an XUD before.

I know roughly how to do it though, don't the top two bolts sit in slots so you can do that?
Yeah, just make sure you mark it properly so you know where your starting point is, use a scribe or something so it can't rub off. Whatever you do don't get greedy with it. If it sounds like a ball bearing in a bean tin, back it off, it really stresses the little ends and in the end it'll put a leg out of bed.

I bought a 306 years back off a mate that had a starting problem and was down on power, it'd fill the street with grey smoke on start up. When he had enough of it I ran it up to the end of the MOT. It turned out someone had wound the turbo up and tickled the pump a bit but the timing wasn't advanced enough. I adjusted it, then wound more fuel in and it turned into a pretty rapid old shed.