Squire's voitures

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Re: Squire's voitures

Post by Eddie Honda »

Roy Axe was Rootes Group or something wasn't he?
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Yes, he did the Arrow coupes (Rapier/Alpine) and the Avenger before going on to the later (Chrysler/Talbot) Alpine and Horizon. Confusion exists because he also went on to BL replacing David Bache where he penned the Rover 800/400.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
richardthestag

Post by richardthestag »

fried onions wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:36 pm That explains it, that would be the updated edition with revised interior and detail changes.

For the Lucas gearbox switches controlling overdrive and the reverse light, which screw into the top of the Snipe gearbox, none of my sizeable collection of spanners would fit. As it was an odd size and only a slim one would fit due to the proximity to the gearbox top cover, I adapted one of my shite spanners using hacksaw and file.

IMG_6969.JPG

IMG_6970.JPG

Fitted both and tightened up nicely with my special service tool. The existing ones were kaput and badly damaged with the plunger stuck in the reverse switch.
those switches look the same as used by Land Rover on the LT95 gearbox, the original lucarse jobbies can be taken apart by carefully knocking back the alu case and removing the gubbins. quick clean and order can usually be restored.

Repro crap from the far east lasts no time at all and cannot be pulled apart
"The Dark Wob. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious."
AutoshiteBoy

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

I'll never forget nearly killing myself going to lift an A-series to take to an engine shop when I'd spent like what felt a lifetime solely lifting K-series, and to a less extent, M-series heads to take for repairs and checks.
BenHar
Banned Grinch!

Post by BenHar »

fried onions wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:49 pm On these 'boxes the synchromesh is weak on Second, and First objects unless you are at a dead halt.
I don't think they had a synchromesh on first?

Ben
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

They don't, Ben I think Squire Onions is referring to the resultant reluctance for them to go into first gear on the move.....The later ribbed case gearbox seems better in that respect but folk tending to leave them in first gear to supplement the handbrake doesn't help their longevity.
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Yes indeed, very fragile components. Some people advocate selecting second before first to line something up internally and therefore reduce crunching/snagging. I'll see what this replacement 'box is like and if that technique makes a difference.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
BenHar
Banned Grinch!

Post by BenHar »

mercrocker wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:53 pm They don't, Ben I think Squire Onions is referring to the resultant reluctance for them to go into first gear on the move.....The later ribbed case gearbox seems better in that respect but folk tending to leave them in first gear to supplement the handbrake doesn't help their longevity.
You weren't supposed to select first while moving. First was just for pulling away.

Ben
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

fried onions wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:19 pm Yes indeed, very fragile components. Some people advocate selecting second before first to line something up internally and therefore reduce crunching/snagging. I'll see what this replacement 'box is like and if that technique makes a difference.
It's a method I sometimes adopt on the Cowley, that's to do with the column linkage but same theory I guess - getting things in line and less likely to baulk. Mind you, he'll quite happily pull away in second if need be.
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

You weren't supposed to select first while moving. First was just for pulling away.

Ben
I personally don't because of the non-synchromesh, but sometimes first is very reluctant to engage and no amount of de-clutching, revving up and stirring helps. It's a well-known fault with these.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.