Squire's voitures

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Re: Squire's voitures

Post by Hooli »

I do like your Humber Squire, it's a lovely old thing & very pleasant to travel in.
Private signature, do not read
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Thank you chaps, it's a rare bird I was fortunate to come by. After years of small engined shite sitting at 60 MPH this has been a revelation for long-distance travel.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
Drum
Not Your Average Hoarder

Post by Drum »

Do you have the lubrication chart that no doubt came with the owner's manual?

Like this one for a Hilman Minx
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

A real classic in the truest sense.
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Love this look at that dash too!
Propper Neons,Switches,Keys not an LED or electronickery devide in site :mrgreen:

All very Propper i like Propper

Carry on and Up The Revolution ;)
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Cheers. I can't stand LEDs full stop or other out of place tech on old cars.

Aye Drum I have the chart, very useful it is too, I must have just forgotten about the grease points, there's that many of them.
Squire Dawson

fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Humber needs a new rear floor ideally, hopefully there are repair panels (ha ha ha) as the leaking screen seals have caused more rot than was initially thought repairable. More small holes have just appeared, sadly. The floor metal was already thin on these cars from new, unfortunately.

The 80 deg. C. thermostat I fitted wants changing now the hot weather is here. The coolant thermometer always settled around 190 F but is now heading slightly north of that. In the absence of any means to check I have to take this as accurate. The workshop manual states a 77 deg. C. thermostat should be fitted; that 3 degree difference may be enough to have the thermometer needle permanently in the higher quadrant.
Squire Dawson

Junkman

Post by Junkman »

Flog it.
Flog everything. Except the Allegro.
Then buy a proper car.
Supply Chain Disruption

1957 DKW 3=6 Sonderklasse
1967 Renault 16 GL
1983 Renault 4 TL
2001 Mercedes E240
2002 Datsun Dice
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

I can't let them go. Just yet.
Squire Dawson

ghosty

Post by ghosty »

I understand your attachment to the Allegro, and the Snipe is a car you really can make good use of, and not something you should sell (find another etc). As for the MO and the Midget, I think they're better candidates for selling, the Midget has limited use (let's see you use it in winter) and as while the MO is something to behold, its performance leaves something to be desired. Even for someone such as yourself that uses things as intended it borders on impractical - just look at the journey you took to the last Shitefest - I admired your patience and resilience to drive so far, I knew you were coming and was more than happy to stay up and see you got a decent welcome. Journeys like that are what the other forum should be, and what hopefully the Dark Wob will become.
I slightly digress.
~

It's the best time to sell the Midget too being a drophead. As for the Traveller, I can't work out how or if it fits in - do you need it to move things (often)? If not I'd question your need for it: I bought the 850 to make life easier for myself as I do often use it to move large objects such as bikes - a saloon, nor the Civic with its high tailgate aperture was practical for that - and as I've said in the past, it's only luck and chance that garnered me a T5. Though, it does have other uses (I helped a friend move with it, I used it to get a new fridge home, it will soon deliver my Civic a new engine, etc), it's reliable, can do 30mpg and long distances in comfort; it goes on. Also, it's an appreciating car that can easily hold its own in modern traffic, it's win win. No reason not to have it, it can do anything I throw at it while still being 'interesting'.
My point is, if you can't see a practical or personal/endearing reason to have a car, what is it to you aside an ornament - considering you're someone that buys things to be anything but ornaments?

Aside from the appeal of not being a 'modern' car (a few acquaintances have made irksome responses to how well equipped it is for its age), I keep my Volvo for practical reasons as mentioned above, and it is very much 'my' car so to speak (if partially as my parents prefer the Civic), and the Civic, while equally mine, was gifted to me by my mum: on purchase she also offered to insure it for a year but I declined and paid myself - to buy it, she used money she'd been saving for me since I was born and I refused to let her blow it all on something that doesn't have a return, like insurance: wiser still, as my premium almost halved shortly after, with the fifth anniversary of me having a driving licence occurring mere weeks after I bought the Civic, which was also extremely cheap for its condition - too cheap to pass up as I was actively looking for one, especially as another white one hasn't come up since.
At this point I see no reason to sell either: surprising in a way, as the Civic is now the car I've owned longest of the seven I've had in almost two and a half years on the road. It's like a better version of the halcyon period of about three weeks in 2017 where I had a Rover 216 and Volvo 740 at the same time: the Civic and 850 are the same, but with a wider scope of abilities (albeit no RWD, something I sort-of miss). But maybe that is reflective of my needs, and perhaps you could look for a similar balance of two or three cars.
Watch for pedestrians...