Squire's voitures

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Re: Squire's voitures

Post by mercrocker »

It gets hard to say what should and shouldn't be there after half a century elapses.....

Looking at other Imperials in contemporary photographs the ones where I can see the bootlid show the "Imperial" script on t'other side.....

According to Glass's Car Dating Checkbook none of the Series V Super Snipes had the bird motif yet I'm sure I've seen them with it.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Hence the confusion. An Imperial certainly should NOT have the snipe on it. The owner was probably an enthusiastic giffer or someone else with too much time on their hands.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

More likely it's had more panel swaps than I've had hot dinners and one had a different badge
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

I carefully cleaned up the gold prize, the rocker cover being the most treasured part because of this:

IMG_0358.JPG
IMG_0358.JPG (1.25 MiB) Viewed 2733 times

The transfer in good condition which will take pride of place at the top of the engine. Britain is shit for replacement transfers faithful to the originals - they are usually done in vinyl sticker form and have the wrong lettering and other details which stick out like a sore thumb. The Americans on the other hand take this shit seriously and produce exact facsimiles you'd be hard pressed to tell from the originals. Not that I would replace this one of course, it's in great condition given the environment its in.

IMG_0357.JPG
IMG_0357.JPG (838.62 KiB) Viewed 2733 times

The gold paint I hope to obtain a good match of to spray the areas of the engine which have fared less well. But that won't be for a few months.
Squire Dawson

mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Lovely, that, Squire....A golden prize indeed. I have a Gold Seal in the Cowley but unfortunately some cunt painted it blue. Has the early rocker cover with the wired-on screw cap too. At least the number tag is still present and it remains a good serviceable unit.
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Fancy a retirement project? 1200 too which I think you said your Cowley is....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Morris-Golds ... Swrptfw9tS

Has the all-important label!
Squire Dawson

mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Worth it for that label! No, the Cowley has a 1500......It is the fourth replacement engine in the car that I have evidence of. I think the logbook still shows 1200 (although it is insured correctly). I wouldn't be in any hurry to get the original spec back, either!
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Haha, don't blame you. Still they (1500's) emerge from time to time.
Squire Dawson

fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Christmas tinkering time! Each year I like to have a nice little job lined up which I can do at my leisure in between the festivities. This year it was fitting that solid state voltage regulator I mentioned. I took the most unreliable and inconsistent of my RB.310 units to gut. Removing the gubbins was straightforward; each bobbin was secured by a 2BA nut and the whole lot lifted away after removing the nuts. That left me with just the fixed contact post for the cut-out, which was riveted in place.

IMG_0374.JPG
IMG_0374.JPG (946.33 KiB) Viewed 2701 times
IMG_0375(1).JPG
IMG_0375(1).JPG (747.52 KiB) Viewed 2701 times

As you can see, the holes left by removing the bobbins are ideal for terminating the new component's wires.
I drilled the rivets out of the fixed contact post and removed it. One I drilled right through in order to pass a screw through to act as a terminal. I positioned the new component and marked where I wanted to secure it with a drill bit through the holes. That way there was far less chance of error in positioning. Once I had triple checked I made the holes, which lined up perfectly, and drilled one large hole conveniently where there was a space in the resin-fibre board. This was for the wires to pass through.

IMG_0376(1).JPG
IMG_0376(1).JPG (873.89 KiB) Viewed 2701 times

Then fitted screws through the old bobbin securing holes and loosely assembled crimps to check. As you can see, it's as if Lucas anticipated people would be doing this in the 21st Century!

IMG_0377(1).JPG
IMG_0377(1).JPG (819.08 KiB) Viewed 2701 times

Further trial fitting was satisfactory, so I crimped the remaining wires and attached them to the terminals. The black wire with the large crimp will earth through the car's frame when I fit the unit.

IMG_0380.JPG
IMG_0380.JPG (922.56 KiB) Viewed 2701 times

I made some cork-rubber buffers for the new regulator to sit on. The reasons for this were twofold. One, they act as spacers to clear the terminal screw heads underneath. Two, it provides a gap between the new regulator and the frame for ventilation. It remains to be seen how hot this will get in service but it has the potential to pass up to 22 amps.

IMG_0379.JPG
IMG_0379.JPG (871.78 KiB) Viewed 2701 times
IMG_0381.JPG
IMG_0381.JPG (545.43 KiB) Viewed 2701 times

The cover fits on fine and you would not be able to tell the difference from the old version by looking at it. Everything is neatly concealed and I have achieved my desired outcome. Vehicle wiring completely unchanged. The acid test will be tomorrow when I fit it to the car and test, weather permitting.
Squire Dawson

SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

I'd personally have attached it to the metal of the regulator if the lid is going on, to allow the body to act as a heatsink. Ideally using heatsink compound between the two. With the lid on, there will be virtually no air movement inside. A small bit of airflow will make a massive difference to temperature levels from no airflow. Likewise a bigger heatsink (i.e. car body) makes a large difference too.