Squire's voitures

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
DodgeRover

Re: Squire's voitures

Post by DodgeRover »

fried onions wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:13 am
Eddie Honda wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:11 am They work with those too.
I have nothing to fear anyway, can't even get me for speeding, chance would be a fine thing.
Non essential journey into the dead zone?
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

24 mph in a 20 limit?
BenHar
Banned Grinch!

Post by BenHar »

When we had a Super Snipe (in the early '70s) it would do an indicated ton very happily.

Ben
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

I wouldn't want to push one that far myself, given the tested top speed was around 100. Although mine was perfect settling into the 80's without overdrive, since I fitted it speeds haven't increased much but I haven't really tried. It is a shame the engine has only 4 main bearings; the earlier Blue Riband 4.1 litre had 7 and seemed to be generally more robust.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

From time to time I put an eye on the tyre situation for the Snipe, keeping to cross ply tyres which suit it well. The size is 6.70-15 so a very popular size once upon a time. It came to me with Camac all around but these weren't great, so I bought an auction lot of 3 Avon Turbospeed unused old stock which have been satisfactory. At the moment there are two Camacs on the rear and two Avons up front. Now, eventually I want matching all around but as the fronts are going to wear out first with the 60/40 weight distribution this won't be for some time. It will be interesting how many miles I get out of the two types front and rear.
The Firestones are nice but not available here but in any case the Turbospeed will, I think, be the superior tyre. It's just when to bite the bullet and fit some to the spare Camac shod rims as I expect a price increase soon.

https://www.classicindustries.com/produ ... 68800.html

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classi ... speed.html
Squire Dawson

The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

I saw that Imperious Super Sniper again today. I hope it sees the road again.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

From many years ago.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-01-13 at 21.26.37.png
Screenshot 2021-01-13 at 21.26.37.png (866.96 KiB) Viewed 2792 times
BenHar
Banned Grinch!

Post by BenHar »

The Reverend Bluejeans wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:00 pm From many years ago.
Look at the modern tat the Humber is surrounded by!

Ben
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

I finally got around to wiring up my underbonnet lights. Having installed one in the Moggy to great effect they are now essential fittings to me. Using Lucas L740 lamp units, a low voltage toggle switch and the correct colour wires (purple from fuse to switch and purple/red from switch to lamps, black for earth) you will see they are indispensable.

IMG_0355.JPG
IMG_0355.JPG (460.57 KiB) Viewed 2777 times

The lamps are from a Bentley or Rolls-Royce complete with brackets from eBay and I fitted 21w festoon bulbs in place of the 10w, so there is a powerful 42 watts of light at my disposal.

IMG_0399.JPG
IMG_0399.JPG (287.51 KiB) Viewed 2777 times

Say I am out during the hours of darkness and want to inspect the engine, or a fault develops on the road. Can't see a thing and a torch is no good as it occupies a hand. Also I don't like carrying head torches and things in the car as the batteries inevitably go without getting any use out of them. Better to have a built-in service like this operating from the car battery.

IMG_0398.JPG
IMG_0398.JPG (407.72 KiB) Viewed 2777 times

A flick of the switch and the engine compartment is flooded with light and all the components requiring servicing and possible attention are adequately illuminated. I was rather limited as to where I could situate the lights but a little trial proved they would not interfere with the bonnet closing or catch on anything, and shadow is negligible, nor will I be standing in the way blocking the light. They are also ideal for when the car is in the garage and the domestic lights don't illuminate much of the engine, so instead of faffing around with a lead lamp I can just use these to aid checking the oil and water level.

IMG_0400.JPG
IMG_0400.JPG (459.74 KiB) Viewed 2777 times

I made what could loosely be described as a patress for the switch and painted it white to locate the switch clearly in the dark. The finishing touch was applied with the Dymo label kindly provided by 64A60. I would recommend fitting bonnet and boot lamps to all cars if you are a serious motorist and enjoy working on your own vehicles or have to drive during the hours of darkness - you will wonder how you managed without them. Total cost of materials was about £35
Squire Dawson

slowanimals

Post by slowanimals »

The previous but one owner of the A99 rigged up something similar, with the bulb mounted between the skin and frame of the bonnet and an old toggle switch on the inner wing near the battery. I've only had cause to use it twice but was very grateful for it each time.