Squire's voitures

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Re: Squire's voitures

Post by Eddie Honda »

fried onions wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:58 pm Just can't flee to another country after knocking some sod down.
Gilbert T Codwhacker wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 10:28 pm I have no idea what country CD is
It isn't. It's Corps Diplomatic.

The first quote references the case of Harry Dunn.
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

As my brother's works are expanding he is pushing me to move my stuff. Specifically the big Humber engines and trannies under the stairs. This is going to bring forward fitting the overdrive unit to my car, which although there are other jobs of more importance, I am excited about. It will be interesting to see the effects on speed, fuel and oil consumption. Theoretically I should be able to do 90 M.P.H. at a roughly 70 M.P.H. engine speed. I have been preparing all the bits I need, and there are quite a lot. I can buy a new speedometer cable and also an O.D. wiring harness from Autosparks.
I am kitting out the car for serious long-distance no-nonsense work with period equipment, inspired by my mate Martin's scrap Hawk, which must've been used as a taxi or doing London-Scotland and back every day. On that car someone even cut the fuel tank in half and welded in a sandwich piece to increase capacity. Of course I am doing nothing like that to mine, although I would prefer the 16-gallon tank used on later cars, as I have had to call on the 2-gallon can I keep in the boot more than once. I am just using period accessories such as a Stop lights indicator, hazard warning system, overdrive, under-bonnet lights, main beam flasher, a dipstick wiper and so on.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

Given the mood of the country at the moment I'd be careful about evicting those trannies...

The beige virtue signallers would also be up in arms if they knew.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

I think it'd be ok if they've had their output shafts cut off...
Private signature, do not read
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

FFS 🙄😆
Squire Dawson

fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Helped my mate get his scrapper inside today. Though it was under cover outdoors in the old mill there was now space inside for it where it will be dismantled. It's properly rotten.
IMG_6644.JPG
IMG_6644.JPG (1.62 MiB) Viewed 4357 times
IMG_6645.JPG
IMG_6645.JPG (1.07 MiB) Viewed 4357 times
IMG_6647.JPG
IMG_6647.JPG (883.82 KiB) Viewed 4357 times

You can see some of the extra kit which was fitted. Going off the remains of the tax disc was last on the road in 2000.
Squire Dawson

MLOR

Post by MLOR »

Those idiot lights have lenses that move to give day and night (bright and dim) positions.
They were fitted in the Sunbeam Stilettos I had.
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Did not know that. What a neat feature.
Squire Dawson

fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Continuing with the scrap Moggy engine. Time to remove the cylinder head.
IMG_6649.JPG
IMG_6649.JPG (540.46 KiB) Viewed 4287 times

A simple job I had no trouble with except the usual studs coming out with the nuts. Some mong had sliced through the radiator hoses so that will limit runtime when I get it working unless I cobble together some replacements.

IMG_6650.JPG
IMG_6650.JPG (469.92 KiB) Viewed 4287 times

No drama here. No sign of HGF or any other damage. I'll use the head gasket again. I tried turning the engine with the starting handle again but I'll be damned if I can get it to budge. The diesel down the bores hasn't penetrated. Next I'm thinking of warming up the block by pouring increasingly hot water in the water jacket to expand the metal. Don't really want to start thumping the pistons. A couple of valves were stuck open but they easily shifted once I got the head back home.

IMG_6651.JPG
IMG_6651.JPG (1.51 MiB) Viewed 4287 times

It wasn't a pretty sight but this is all what I'd expect from a motor that's been standing for decades. It never made it onto the DVLA system - something I am trying to change.

IMG_6652.JPG
IMG_6652.JPG (1.06 MiB) Viewed 4287 times

Now to remove the thermostat cover without destroying it. One sharp tap and it was away.

IMG_6654.JPG
IMG_6654.JPG (596.08 KiB) Viewed 4287 times
IMG_6655.JPG
IMG_6655.JPG (602.17 KiB) Viewed 4287 times

And the thermostat. Already open so probably kaput. Looks like the original. 82 degree rated. Here a Stanley knife and gas bottle came in handy.

IMG_6656.JPG
IMG_6656.JPG (579.84 KiB) Viewed 4287 times
IMG_6657.JPG
IMG_6657.JPG (503.23 KiB) Viewed 4287 times

After I'd heated it up, which caused it to open some more, it soon yielded. Minimal damage caused but it is no use stuck open. Proper Smiths bellows job too.
I removed and numbered all valves, which are all in good condition with no burning or coke formation. A big clean up and lapping in is all that's needed along with new valve stem seals. If the springs measure up OK I'll re-use those too. It promises to be a good little engine provided I can free up the pots.
Squire Dawson

Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Copper headgasket? I've not seen one on cars before. I like them, just anneal it up & reuse. Much better than ages scraping composite ones off to throw away.
Private signature, do not read