Squire's voitures

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Re: Squire's voitures

Post by LynehamHerc »

Regarding the Midget I used my MGB as a daily driver for a few years in the late 70s/early 80s, commuting 15 miles each way to work through Leeds every workday.
It was OK in the snow and never got stuck, partially I think because it has relatively narrow tyres, 165/80, for its weight. Obviously not an ideal winter vehicle but a reasonable compromise.
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

The MO is on eBay, since I adjusted the carb its now returning 30 m.p.g. - why do I always do these things right before I sell a car?

I will use the Midget over this summer and probably punt it on. That will leave me with 3 cars which I can just about manage.

The shite Minor is essentially sound but wants an engine rebuild, bodywork and paint. They do not wear well.

The Aggy is just a good all-rounder and I can jump in and go at any time of year. They are good cars.

The Humber is a rare beauty with superfluous performance and standards of comfort. And it sounds fantastic.

But, I am itching for an American car. I always knew I'd have one, and now I am at an age I can appreciate one. I expect it will be a Cadillac from 1955-1961. The trouble at present is, that I have no-where off road to keep a car of that size.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

1959/60 is the prime year. A decent 1960 four door won't be silly money.

Failing that, a Corvair.
Junkman

Post by Junkman »

I thought that for over forty years.
Now, the more I look at the early 50s GMs, I realise how well those were made and how honest they are.
Supply Chain Disruption

1957 DKW 3=6 Sonderklasse
1967 Renault 16 GL
1983 Renault 4 TL
2001 Mercedes E240
2002 Datsun Dice
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

chadders wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:12 am Regarding the Midget I used my MGB as a daily driver for a few years in the late 70s/early 80s, commuting 15 miles each way to work through Leeds every workday.
It was OK in the snow and never got stuck, partially I think because it has relatively narrow tyres, 165/80, for its weight. Obviously not an ideal winter vehicle but a reasonable compromise.
I used a Midget as my only car for four years, with a winter 'stat (which I left in all year) they are fine & plenty warm enough inside.
Private signature, do not read
ghosty

Post by ghosty »

Good points. I understand the desire for a Yank, and have a similar desire of my own. That is something that takes patience though, of course.
Watch for pedestrians...
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

ghosty wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:48 am Good points. I understand the desire for a Yank, and have a similar desire of my own. That is something that takes SPACE though, of course.
EFA

Yes, the earlier 50's cars were better made. To understand this, you must realise the car market after the post-war recovery was saturated. One of the ways to sell more cars was by building in obsolescence, and in cars this meant obsolescence of style, to distinguish from last year's 'old' model. The annual styling change cost a fortune in new tooling, despite Divisions often sharing the same basic pressings. The Big Three were able to absorb these costs, whereas the smaller automakers were not; as a consequence many went under, or merged and were a shadow of their former selves. Obviously, a styling change every year means very little time to test new designs, and quality suffers as a result. There was also a cheapening (i.e. thinner steel) of raw materials to keep profit margins healthy. So yes, the older cars are 'better' in terms of build quality. Seat fabrics in those days on American cars really became tatty very quickly.
There were still little details in the fit and finish that would not be acceptable on a British car, such as exposed screw heads on exterior trim.
Squire Dawson

fried onions

Post by fried onions »

This is what I will miss about the MO.
IMG_5340.JPG
IMG_5340.JPG (524.9 KiB) Viewed 5672 times
The deep, full width parcel shelf, in addition to the glove box, is a boon I believe to be unparalleled in any other car. You can just pop into the shop and put all the stuff on the shelf, where it stays put - bottles of beer, a loaf of bread, tins and so on. It's little conveniences like this I like in a car.

There is quite a sizeable difference between these two cars;
IMG_5328.JPG
IMG_5328.JPG (542.54 KiB) Viewed 5672 times
IMG_5329.JPG
IMG_5329.JPG (575.19 KiB) Viewed 5672 times
I cannot get to my workbench at the back of the Humber, and can barely squeeze around the side. I need a garage clear out too.
Squire Dawson

Drum
Not Your Average Hoarder

Post by Drum »

You can get a car in your garage!
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

Junkman wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:03 pm I thought that for over forty years.
Now, the more I look at the early 50s GMs, I realise how well those were made and how honest they are.
I just find the fifties Cadillacs so catastrophically ugly, having neither the sheer beauty of the 1949 Club Coupe or the outer space 1959.