Squire's voitures

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Re: Squire's voitures

Post by mercrocker »

I still tend to double in moderns, except the Focus where I seem to instantly resort to "don't care" mode. Perhaps it is just the slight extra time taken but it seems to stop the 15ft of linkage baulking on the T25.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

It's G-Day tomorrow.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

I am delighted to tell you that G-Day went without a hitch. I didn't take many photos because I was mainly busy, but I captured the essentials. To re-cap, the plan was to remove the standard gearbox, crossmember, propshaft etc and replace with all the overdrive parts. First thing to do was raise the car for access.

IMG_7007.JPG
IMG_7007.JPG (473.21 KiB) Viewed 3039 times
Original 'box came out easily, it wasn't long since I had it out before to replace the clutch components. Then, with the help of some workmen, the 'new' unit with overdrive went in.

IMG_7008.JPG
IMG_7008.JPG (627.26 KiB) Viewed 3039 times
This was all that was supporting the engine and transmission at the back until I fitted the crossmember. It had to be on the jack to allow us to lower and raise the drivetrain slightly.

IMG_7009.JPG
IMG_7009.JPG (474.6 KiB) Viewed 3039 times
The rest was straightforward fitting of various components, changing the speedometer cable for the longer 88" one, connecting up the gear linkages and so on. And then to test the gearbox only, as the electrical side had to wait for another day. It worked perfectly with all three speeds and reverse engaging without fault, the synchromesh is very strong on all three forward speeds so I was very happy with that.
Today I rigged up a temporary switch until I can fit the proper wiring, in order to test the overdrive's operation. I set out this morning up the road and on the first long, straight stretch in second gear excitement built as my thumb poised over the switch. Would it work or not? Despite my careful preparations and testing it had still been in a field for the best part of 40 years or more and its history prior to that is unknown. I went ahead and flicked the switch. It worked! A clean change into overdrive, and out again when I operated the switch. I have been using it all today just fine. The solenoid current draw is perfect at around 1 Amp (max. 2 Amps) and the difference in gearing with overdrive in operation is phenomenal. I am chuffed to bits. Good sound British engineering!

This also happened, unfortunately I missed all the numbers click around, but it marks 9,000 miles in my ownership, that's 4,500 per annum.

IMG_7010.JPG
IMG_7010.JPG (381.39 KiB) Viewed 3039 times
Squire Dawson

Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Fantastic, that should make it lot nicer to drive. I did notice the yawning chasm between second and third up that hill back from the Lantern Pike, I suspect OD 2nd will fill that nicely.
Private signature, do not read
richardthestag

Post by richardthestag »

good work sir, I am loving that scissor lift though. what brand did you go for? good/bad/ugly review please
"The Dark Wob. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious."
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

I'm amazed an overdrive wasn't standard equipment at the time on a top end car like this
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

It wasn't a top-end car in monetary terms. Upper middle class was the market and the main competitor was Rover. Don't forget that the Government extensively bought Humbers - never Rovers until the former's demise - so there was always demand for a basic specification as you don't need OD or PAS when you're being chauffeured around Whitehall. Even in standard trim the car cruised effortlessly at 75-80 all day.

I will ask my friend about his lift but we both agree it's worth its weight in gold. He would not have been able to carry on working on cars without it.
Squire Dawson

fried onions

Post by fried onions »

I had plenty to update but as the pictures are all on my iphone and it decided to switch itself off for the last time, all my records are gone. Such are the trappings of modern technology. Thanks, Apple.

I have completed the wiring for the overdrive. One part of the harness came from Autosparks and the rest I made up with wires and materials also from them. So I now have full control at the steering column switch through the throttle switch and operating relay. The gearbox dipstick keeps trying to escape so I need to check the breather on the overdrive unit. Otherwise I am enjoying using my two extra speeds at the flick of a switch.

Minor Millennium called me to come in to see my station wagon and I also had another wing to drop off. They have not been hanging about and have done lots of work already. I was interested to see how much rot there was hiding under the wings. The driver's side especially had rusted through the A-post into the car. I am very pleased with how it is progressing.
Squire Dawson

SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Have you checked the charge port isn't full of guff? Often pocket fluff and other stuff can jam in there which stops them charging. I have seen some phones (not Crapple) that shut off if they get a short there too.

I am really warming to the Morris Minors and especially the Travellers. Old Charles Ware did it to death but I like the fact they can pretty much go on forever. The vehicle equivalent of a DC-3. You can do the same with a few other British classics (especially MGs) but none quite have the utilitarian useful aspect like the Minors.

I presume the bodywork is as simple to repair as they look? Looks like pretty much everything that is curved bolts on and the rest is flat panels.
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

I didn't bother updating the operating system. It's an iphone 5 something or other. It's been popping up for a year or so now to update but I knew that would slow it down further as they want you to buy a new one as you get increasingly exasperated. These last few weeks it had been properly going haywire and randomly shutting down. It shut itself down never to come on again, I just get the white apple screen and it never boots up. These software bugs are deliberately written into the product I'm certain. So, it's partly my fault for being obstinate but mainly the cunts in California for taking consumerism and planned obsolescence to extremes.

Regarding Minors they are addictive, be warned, I've doubtless said it all before but they a curate's egg, good in parts. Not always pleasant to work on, cheaply produced, limited luggage space in saloons, reproduction wings are very poor and the transmissions do not seem to last. Like everything though, obtain a good example and you're laughing, it being far easier to keep a sound car in good condition than it is to make a good car out of a bad one. I'm keeping mine 'for ever' and won't be doing up another one. And the scrapper is going once I've finished with it.
Squire Dawson