Squire's voitures

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Re: Squire's voitures

Post by mercrocker »

fried onions wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:44 pm Once I get two I will offer one on to you.

Always up for a spare or two! Cheers, Josh. Much appreciated.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
captain_70s

Post by captain_70s »

Hooli wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:06 pm Now if I did anything like that it'd twist the union & snap every brake pipe as soon as the socket touched it.
See, I'd do exactly that but with a car that was urgently needed from commuting the following day so I'd rapid fire bodge it together and completely forget the brake fluid had stripped all paint from the surrounding area thus creating a big rusty hole to deal with a couple of years down the line.
1976 Triumph Dolomite 1850HL - Field based greenhouse.
1977 Triumph Dolomite 1300 - Lean green oil dripping machine.
1983 Triumph Acclaim L - Japanglish daily runner.
1989 Volvo 740GLE Estate - Mobile storage unit.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

captain_70s wrote:
Hooli wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:06 pm Now if I did anything like that it'd twist the union & snap every brake pipe as soon as the socket touched it.
See, I'd do exactly that but with a car that was urgently needed from commuting the following day so I'd rapid fire bodge it together and completely forget the brake fluid had stripped all paint from the surrounding area thus creating a big rusty hole to deal with a couple of years down the line.
You could just pour fresh paint down there and create a seamless* repair

Then find the new master cylinder is pissing out anyway and mixing with the fresh paint

Both paint and brake fluid are my most hated liquids on a car.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

captain_70s wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:24 pm
I might* have done very similar things in the past.
Private signature, do not read
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

The Laycock de Normanville overdrive unit for the Humber works by increasing propshaft speed by 28.5% hence the term overdrive. As a consequence engine r.p.m. is lower than it would be in direct drive at any given speed. I am collecting the parts I need to make the conversion, though it is unlikely to be this year. There are a lot of specific parts to collect! The overdrive operates on second and top, so it effectively turns a three speed gearbox into five speeds.

I can't remember if I mentioned it but I collected the Morris after 550 quid's worth of welding repairs, so its much better now. After that I replaced the brake light switch, which I covered on here, and adjusted the clutch because it used to make horrible crunching noises going into first and reverse. The clutch wasn't releasing fully. An easy job to adjust on these, being an adjustable rod underneath.
It has been providing reliable transport, though I am well aware the engine needs an overhaul, and I really should be dry storing it already. Next job will be to examine the leaking differential and hope it's just the seal that needs replacing.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Good to hear the Minor is healed! Mine is dry stored nowadays but for the first 10 years of ownership it was my daily and lived outside....I think I am still reaping the costs of that era with regard to ongoing welding repairs.
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

They like to rot, we can only do so much. The bloody brake lights have stopped working again. I'm beginning to wonder if there's a chunk of rubbish in the hydraulic system. Or is just bad luck a new switch has failed? Further investigation required.
Squire Dawson

mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Have had a new switch in the Cowley fail in less than a year, which given it has not been in dense traffic for that time is not very good life. I haven't had any more trouble with the Minor switch since I put it through a relay and changed the rear bulbs for LEDs. With the dark lenses on these cars it doesn't look terribly wrong....I have also heard that silicone fluid plays havoc with them although my Minor is on DOT4....
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

I need the Allegro back.
Squire Dawson

fried onions

Post by fried onions »

At the NEC I bought a pair of old stock Trico Rainbow wiper blades. Expensive but worth it for clear vision, as smearing blades are an annoyance. The Tex blades I fitted last year had been smearing at the ends, something I never managed to sort no matter how I tried to adjust them. The end of the blade would not press onto the screen properly.
IMG_6136.JPG
IMG_6136.JPG (401.4 KiB) Viewed 4005 times
So it was out with those, to be saved for a car with a flatter windscreen, and in with the new, which are slightly longer. No bad thing as wipe more of the screen.
IMG_6137.JPG
IMG_6137.JPG (363.71 KiB) Viewed 4005 times
I went up to my mate's unit who was doing some work on his Hawk brakes, whilst I set about tracing a headlamp fault.
IMG_6138.JPG
IMG_6138.JPG (458.77 KiB) Viewed 4005 times
It was a bad connection. The wiring isn't the best and someone has used spade terminals instead of a proper plug. When the sealed beam units go I'll convert it back to Lucas 700 headlamps, as this car should have. Sealed beam lights were introduced a few years later on the Minor and I don't think they bring any benefit in this case.
IMG_6139.JPG
IMG_6139.JPG (355.85 KiB) Viewed 4005 times
Interestingly it was made in Canada. I wonder for what reason, that's a long way to ship something that could've been made in Britain.
Squire Dawson