What was the last Wob with a..

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Re: What was the last Wob with a..

Post by Hooli »

Chrysler Voyagers were column shift autos too, they went up to about 2010 I think?
Private signature, do not read
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Just remembered Nissan Urvan was available with a manual column shift into the 80s in Aus.
Also we had an 80s Isuzu pick up here that was manual column shift until the body fell off it..
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Hooli wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:42 am Chrysler Voyagers were column shift autos too, they went up to about 2010 I think?
Honestly I think it's the best place for an auto shift lever to be
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Many modern Mercedes are column shift too. Albeit electronic stalk, but still engage drive/park/reverse through it.
AMCrebel
Officially Not Quite Totally Useless

Post by AMCrebel »

cros wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:15 am Last car with 3 speed gearbox? As far as I can tell until 1972 the Victor FD could be had with one in column shift versions, even on the 3.3 litre. I remember a K reg CF van which had a 3 speed floor change, though it's to be hoped that this option wasn't available with the 50bhp Perkins 4 108 diesel engine. I'd be happy to hear that some USA autos stuck with 3 on the tree for longer though.
I drove one of those CFs - a crewbus in a summer job. We had two, a four speed and a 3 speed - there was no restrictor or owt and reverse on the 3 speeder was where first was for the 4 - had to be very careful at traffic lights and junctions. They were decent vans on the whole - better than the Sherpa that arrived to replace the 3 speed CF.
2005 Land Rover Discovery SE Manual
2003 Mercedes E320 Estate
1968 AMC Rebel SST Convertible
1967 AMC Rebel SST Convertible (for parts)
1994 Fleetwood Colchester 1850 EB

Hoping for roffle win :)
AMCrebel
Officially Not Quite Totally Useless

Post by AMCrebel »

Septics win again for 3 speed manual - column and floor

https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/class ... car%20here.

TL:DR - Column 1979 Chevy Nova (and its Oldsmobile and Pontiac twins).

Floor - 1981 Chevy Malubu, Pontiac LeMans, Oldsmobile Cutlass and Buick Century.
2005 Land Rover Discovery SE Manual
2003 Mercedes E320 Estate
1968 AMC Rebel SST Convertible
1967 AMC Rebel SST Convertible (for parts)
1994 Fleetwood Colchester 1850 EB

Hoping for roffle win :)
NorfolkNWeigh

Post by NorfolkNWeigh »

SiC wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:10 am Many modern Mercedes are column shift too. Albeit electronic stalk, but still engage drive/park/reverse through it.
Both my modern Mercs are column shift. Most sensible place for auto selector , seems strange driving a modern auto that isn’t .
I used to love the way Frank Cannon would chuck his Lincoln into park with the column shift before the car had properly stopped, causing it to rock back and forth for a second , I may or may not do this with older Rollers and Bentleys , depending on whether you own them or not.

On the subject of column changes , was the R16 the last manual column change car available in the U.K.? I had a T reg TL and used to practise clutchless changes just using my finger tips without taking my hand off the wheel, don’t know why, now.

Just found out about this;
1DFF8B9C-80CB-46C2-ACAB-0DE112B86BDD.jpeg
1DFF8B9C-80CB-46C2-ACAB-0DE112B86BDD.jpeg (141.01 KiB) Viewed 2238 times
4 speed manual column change W124, only available on Finnish taxis , apparently.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

I always used to park my Pontiac Grand Prix a la Cannon. The fucked shockers added to the effect.....I agree that column auto is the only sensible way to go, not least because of the visual confirmation of gear position. Not seen that column shift W124 arrangement before - like that a lot and makes a genuine 4 pedal car.

Didn't the 16TX version of the Renault boast a 5 speed column - I remember a fella I worked with having one because he didn't want anything floor change as his disability gave him a limited left-hand reach.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

That's a lot of development work just for Finnish Warrens isn't it?
Private signature, do not read
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

NorfolkNWeigh wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:22 pm Both my modern Mercs are column shift. Most sensible place for auto selector , seems strange driving a modern auto that isn’t .
I used to love the way Frank Cannon would chuck his Lincoln into park with the column shift before the car had properly stopped, causing it to rock back and forth for a second , I may or may not do this with older Rollers and Bentleys , depending on whether you own them or not.
It's sensible if no one else does it. However from a driving so many cars with the wiper stalk there, it easy to forget and unintendedly activate it when driving. Being electronic it shouldn't allow it when moving. Except on a (luckily) rental A150d I had, when crawling in a car park, sticking it into park caused the car to slam to a halt and the gearbox make some ungodly noises. Presumably it was in a confused state where it should be in park but the clutch packs not disengaged.

The amount of rock in park definitely varies between gearboxes. The Jag XJ6 I had, had virtually zero rock in park. The AW55 in the 9-5 and Lagunas I had, had a fair bit of rock. Admittedly the Laguna put the electronic handbrake on normally so was less of an issue. Enough rock though to annoy my wife in telling me that it irritates her me not putting the handbrake on.

I had noticed when I was last in America, most don't bother with the "e-brake" either - going by the amount of rocking the cars did when people got out.