What Car?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Re: What Car?

Post by Hooli »

My neighbour had a diesel one for a while, he said it was pretty quick. He sold it as he decided he wanted a 4x4 thing as a toy.
Private signature, do not read
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

It's a no go unfortunately. He doesn't want to sell. He's a hoarder and it'll probably rot there till he dies. Might not be long though. He's in for his second cancer op in four weeks time. We'll find out better then.
Apparently the diesels remap to 300 pretty easily!
AMCrebel
Officially Not Quite Totally Useless

Post by AMCrebel »

paulplom wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:59 am Gf's dad has a chrysler 300c in diesel estate form on his drive. It has the bentley badges on the wheels along with the big fuck off grille. I'm sure the engine is mercedes and it has an auto box. It's been stood a year or so since it failed it's mot on a frayed seatbelt. He's replaced that but never bothered retesting it as he bought an s80 while it was standing. I fired it up about a week ago and it sounded sweet as a nut.
I could make enquiries if you're interested.
Fuck it, I'm going to ask him anyway. I think I'd look cool af cruising in it.
IIRC these are pretty much a Merc E class except for panels and interior.

From around the merger time, the Crossfire even has the Merc SLK interior
2005 Land Rover Discovery SE Manual
2003 Mercedes E320 Estate
1968 AMC Rebel SST Convertible
1967 AMC Rebel SST Convertible (for parts)
1994 Fleetwood Colchester 1850 EB

Hoping for roffle win :)
AMCrebel
Officially Not Quite Totally Useless

Post by AMCrebel »

Mr Merc - how about a Citroen C6?
2005 Land Rover Discovery SE Manual
2003 Mercedes E320 Estate
1968 AMC Rebel SST Convertible
1967 AMC Rebel SST Convertible (for parts)
1994 Fleetwood Colchester 1850 EB

Hoping for roffle win :)
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Chrysler 300s and the Crossfire have some appeal but I'm afraid not the C6. I have a deep aversion to Frog-ness of that era, probably unfounded but hard to shake nonetheless.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
NorfolkNWeigh

Post by NorfolkNWeigh »

AMCrebel wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:17 am
paulplom wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:59 am Gf's dad has a chrysler 300c in diesel estate form on his drive. It has the bentley badges on the wheels along with the big fuck off grille. I'm sure the engine is mercedes and it has an auto box. It's been stood a year or so since it failed it's mot on a frayed seatbelt. He's replaced that but never bothered retesting it as he bought an s80 while it was standing. I fired it up about a week ago and it sounded sweet as a nut.
I could make enquiries if you're interested.
Fuck it, I'm going to ask him anyway. I think I'd look cool af cruising in it.
IIRC these are pretty much a Merc E class except for panels and interior.

From around the merger time, the Crossfire even has the Merc SLK interior
Yes and no. The floor pan is based on the W210 e Class but all suspension is different, allegedly some bits are interchangeable with W220 S Class. But they were all air suspension so I don’t know how much truth there is in that. The 3.0 V6 diesel is the same as every 3.0 Merc but fitted with the old 5 speed gearbox . They’re very hard on suspension bits but everything is very cheap from the States. There is nothing inside remotely Mercedes like in appearance or , unfortunately, quality. The one I had was a later facelift , supposedly better than the grey seated original, but that had plastics that you could file your nails on, although to be fair they didn’t show any wear. I thought the seats were leather until the drivers seat split on the base and it’s man made origins became obvious, although to be fair both Merc and BMW basic spec” leather” is nothing of the sort.

The Hemi is a bit pointless apart from the noise as it’s not much quicker than a standard Dizzler and as Paulplom says the Diesel is easy to map to 300 bhp and more torque than a Scania. Mine had a Chrysler branded Brabus chip that gave 275bhp instead of 235, that wasn’t slow. The cheapest way into a 300 is the 3.5 V6 petrol, never very popular but maybe a good bet now as not going to be moon miles like a diesel or thrashed like a Hemi.
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Sign of the times. Who in the name of God would specify a big Chrysler with a foul engine when a proper petrol engine is available? Good Lord.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

And what were they thinking not offering a green option of factory fit LPG?
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

borniteidentity wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:32 pm Having given it quite a bit of consideration, I'd go for one of the facelift T25 Avensis I reckon.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Avens ... %7Ciid%3A1

But - as previously agreed - buy her what she wants. My wife wanted a Fiat 500, so I bought her one on the basis that I could then enjoy extended latitude to buy things like a Mini!
My facelift T25 Avensis lasted exactly one week and 1225 miles in my tender care before dropping a valve. I'm not sure how reliable the petrol ones are but didn't Toyota have reliability issues with the last Celica?

That generation of Avensis is totally numb and insipid to drive. Imagine an updated Mk3 Cavalier, nothing bad or dangerous, just utterly boring to chuck around. The seating position is too high for me too and many come fitted with a comedy satnav that you can only enter the first five figures of a postcode into.

I'm sure there were issues with the petrol engines burning loads of oil iirc.
500 miles to the litre or something rediculous.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
NorfolkNWeigh

Post by NorfolkNWeigh »

fried onions wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:07 pm Sign of the times. Who in the name of God would specify a big Chrysler with a foul engine when a proper petrol engine is available? Good Lord.
Me!
35 - 40 mpg over the 200,000 miles I drove mine , compared to the 20-25 mpg I’d have got out of a Hemi, meant I was able to have a big Chrysler instead of small something else. It still pounded the motorways of the U.K. and Europe at 3 figure speeds in near silence .
You would have been even more disapproving of my plans to badge mine as a Humber in response to all those Bentley badged ones. I settled for removing all the badges and crests instead.