Fleet Occurrences

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: Fleet Occurrences

Post by SiC »

I bought a Tech 2 a few years back. By the time I got to use it again, the bloody thing won't connect to anything anymore. Apparently not all that uncommon a problem.
Split_Pin

Post by Split_Pin »

Sri05 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:20 am I recently bought a scanner to read SRS/ABS codes mainly for that Civic I bought, it claims to do GM/Saab as well so welcome to try that if needed before spending the dough
Thanks I will take you up on that if the airbaglight persists. My code reader does catch GM stuff but doesn't go far as airbags. As long as it tells me where the issue is then I'm grand.
Split_Pin

Post by Split_Pin »

SiC wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:34 am I bought a Tech 2 a few years back. By the time I got to use it again, the bloody thing won't connect to anything anymore. Apparently not all that uncommon a problem.
For the not inconsiderable price, that's suboptimal .
Split_Pin

Post by Split_Pin »

Replacement seat loom for the red Saab was a load of bollocks as it was for a saloon. The wiring was also a different colour but the plug was the same into the seat proximity sensor. I cut the plug off and tried to temporarily crimp it to the existing loom but it was having none of it.

I got a bit fed up at that point and considered canning it, as I always do, but reconsidered after I built a bridge and got the fuck over myself. The car is far too good for that.

Anyway, a couple of breakers had come into Upullit in Inverkeithing so I headed up to see what was what with them. They were both pretty much wrecks by the time I got there but one did yield a complete drivers seat wiring loom. It took ages to extract as I needed to remove the seat (stupid ratchet was too fat to get into the torx bolts as plastic parts were in the way, I may have broken stuff to get where I needed to be) and I then had to take the seat itself apart to get to the plugs as I didn't want to cut the loom. That part was quite easy though, just time consuming.

I now have a complete and undamaged, uncut loom for the drivers seat, hopefully it will fit. This way, if the airbag light still persists I can rule out broken wires and concentrate on a sensor somewhere.
Screenshot_20220403-163002_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20220403-163002_YouTube.jpg (71.97 KiB) Viewed 1056 times
The gear stick top for the manual one fired itself off when my wife was driving it today. It's quite heavy and made a bit of a bang when it landed! I don't really want it stuck on there absolutely permanently so I have added a smear of superglue on the shaft for now and I'll use something stronger if that doesn't work.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Split_Pin wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:15 pm The gear stick top for the manual one fired itself off when my wife was driving it today. It's quite heavy and made a bit of a bang when it landed! I don't really want it stuck on there absolutely permanently so I have added a smear of superglue on the shaft for now and I'll use something stronger if that doesn't work.
Hahahaha yes I remember that. TADIS. Comes off with quite some force and when mine did it, it left an imprint in the headliner. Back in the day when these were newer and in the cabs, it was a common forum complaint of them ejecting themselves out of the car with the roof down when driving along.

Iirc it came off with my parents, they superglued. I epoxyed it after it did it again when I owned it.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Eh? What the fuck causes that? It sounds like it would make Q jealous.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

paulplom wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:55 pm What the fuck causes that?
General Motors
Split_Pin

Post by Split_Pin »

I can imagine that being a danger to a following car if it happened with the top down!
Jazoli

Post by Jazoli »

Hahaha oops that may be my fault, the old one fell off and took the spring with it, I never found the spring so I may have fitted the new knob with a 'slightly' stronger spring as its all I had in the garage! Good job the roof was up!
CBA
Split_Pin

Post by Split_Pin »

It was quite comical really, my wife wasn't bothered, she just came in from work and handed it to me 🤣

It reminded me of a time when I was very small and my dad was waiting ages to exit a busy junction in his Volvo 340. When he finally got a gap and went to move off quickly, he'd left the car in 3rd and it wouldn't move. He bad temperedley banged it into first and ripped the top right off the gear lever. He stubbornly refused to acknowledge that this had happened and drove the rest of the way home with the empty shaft, me crying because our car was broken.