Highway Code consultation

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Re: Highway Code consultation

Post by Hooli »

Eddie Honda wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:35 pm I still haven't calmed down since they changed the HC to mention riding wearing a white helmet and loads of hi-viz/reflective shite on a motorcycle.
I prefer safety black, it's never caused me an issue.
Private signature, do not read
treehugger
The only technocripple in the village!

Post by treehugger »

Whats this? First I've heard. Re doing the highway code? Nobody takes any notice anyway.
As I suspected I was right about everything.
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

What's the Highway Code? Summat to do with Dick Turpin?
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
christine

Post by christine »

All the cyclists around here are "racing on the highway" , no one seems to use a push bike to get to work , or a leisurely ride down country lanes , just flat out , fast as possible..With a tyre contact patch of 1" , they have no chance of doing an emergency stop , should a car ,horse ,cows or a child be round the next bend .. The road outside my forge has just been resurfaced with chippings ...that has slowed the fuckers down.. I was going to sweep some loose , onto the bend further down and laugh my ass off as they high sided , but the traffic has already dragged it there now !!
Bangernomics

Post by Bangernomics »

As a cycle commuter (when I have a contract) cycling in Manchester is hair raising at times. Even where there’s cycle lanes that are clearly marked as priority people just drive in front of you (have a look at the curry mike on street view).

I always thought “twat” before I put myself in their shoes (saddle) and now see how vulnerable you are when there’s cars/bikes etc around you.

It has made me very aware of their presence as did getting a motorcycle license for motorbikes and doing a years commute on that.

As for filtering up the inside, often you have no choice as the outside is motorbike central and you’re likely to get stranded in the middle when traffic moves off.

Overall I think the updates are sensible, more should be done to clarify to motorists that filtering on a cycle and a motorcycle is legal and should be respected rather than spawning contemptuous behaviour after you’ve made it to the front and can’t get to the cycle box because a car has sat in it or three motorbikes/scooters are there.

Equally I abhor the go pro crowd who are looking to goad motorists into a confrontation at every juncture.

Less annoying tag line.
Just when I thought I was out they dragged me back in.
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

Any filtering down the N/S should not be allowed and why cyclists would want to do it when they know how dangerous it is for them. There have been enough cyclists squashed due to lorry drivers not being able to see them. You also have people pull up to let passengers out who cannot see a push bike coming as the mirror will be set for the driver. I will allways stay close to the curb when queing to try and stop push bikes sneaking up there. They have no insurance so if they scrape your car there is bugger all you can do. If they want to give cyclists more rights then make them have insurance and some form of licence if they want to share the road.
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
treehugger
The only technocripple in the village!

Post by treehugger »

panhard65 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:46 pm Any filtering down the N/S should not be allowed and why cyclists would want to do it when they know how dangerous it is for them. There have been enough cyclists squashed due to lorry drivers not being able to see them. You also have people pull up to let passengers out who cannot see a push bike coming as the mirror will be set for the driver. I will allways stay close to the curb when queing to try and stop push bikes sneaking up there. They have no insurance so if they scrape your car there is bugger all you can do. If they want to give cyclists more rights then make them have insurance and some form of licence if they want to share the road.
Bang on.
As I suspected I was right about everything.
AMCrebel
Officially Not Quite Totally Useless

Post by AMCrebel »

As usual it's about numbers surely.
One or two bikes coming up along your inside at some lights isn't the end of the world, but if there are a bazzilion of the fuckers zooming up the left at warp factor 10 how the fuck are you ever supposed to turn left - and that's assuming you can see 'em which isn't easy in some vehicles. A lot of Cyclists need education on ideas for staying alive.
2005 Land Rover Discovery SE Manual
2003 Mercedes E320 Estate
1968 AMC Rebel SST Convertible
1967 AMC Rebel SST Convertible (for parts)
1994 Fleetwood Colchester 1850 EB

Hoping for roffle win :)
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

There is a cross roads near us out in the Forest - it is completely open heathland all around the four ways, a 40mph limit applies and the two minor arteries are Stop-signed. Still bikes keep getting squashed there. I see now they have painted cyclist-aimed surface markings on the approaches with the legend "LOOK UP". Says a lot about how some of those accidents occurred, really. It does piss me off that we all pootle through the New Forest at a mandatory 40mph whereas lycra bunnies can pedal their fucking hearts out of their rib-cages with impunity. Racing is racing, no matter what the actual velocity as focus becomes polarised upon the actual riding rather than looking where they are fucking going.

I wonder if there is much about that in the new HC?
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Don't be daft, only cars are evil.
Private signature, do not read