That awful colour MGB GT

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Re: That awful colour MGB GT

Post by LynehamHerc »

Hooli wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:46 pm My Midget had a circular one & needed a peg too. I filed the peg down a bit to get the correct adjustment for where it run best cold, so it became a precision part that stayed with the car for almost a decade while I had it.
Now try fixing a modern cars cold running problem like that...
richardthestag

Post by richardthestag »

chadders wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:01 pm
Hooli wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:46 pm My Midget had a circular one & needed a peg too. I filed the peg down a bit to get the correct adjustment for where it run best cold, so it became a precision part that stayed with the car for almost a decade while I had it.
Now try fixing a modern cars cold running problem like that...
if it needs more than a hammer, basic toolkit and multimeter to fix then it is too complicated for it's own good
"The Dark Wob. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious."
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

mercrocker wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:11 pm If my Minor is anything to go by I can thoroughly recommend SuperFlex polybushes. Supple and taut in equal measures.....No appreciable deterioration in 3 years all-weather driving either and mine came in proper black not electric blue or anything silly. Did you specifically wait for that mileage to come up before a bit of fettling?!
Ha nah. It did get to 58998 when I pulled into the drive, so drove up and down the road to push it over.

I put SuperPro bushes from Moss on the bottom arm. Aren't the cheapest but apparently one of the best. I think made in Australia?

Like everything, quality on polybushes appear to vary considerably. SuperFlex incidentally are manufactured about 15 miles away from here. I have heard varying reports on quality on them. Tempting to use them though as fair bit cheaper. Can't be worse than the rubber tops ones I have already that have knackered out.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

chadders wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:26 pm And I reckon the choke is wrong for the year. :D
According to the Moss catalogue it is. Supposed to be the rubber bumper, so 1975 on. Possibly got changed in the past because the original broke and this happened to be on the shelf? Or because it's a bit easier to turn?

Given mine is a late 1974 model (registered August '74) and one of the last of the chrome (Sept '74 rubber began), it's also plausible that they had already changed to the new style on these remaining run-out ones.

Who knows! 🤷‍♂️

It's staying though as I like it. Certainly doesn't feel modern repro either.
Last edited by SiC on Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

fried onions wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:16 pm Oil pressure looks a bit on the low side.
Dodgy gauge m8
richardthestag

Post by richardthestag »

superflex have been ok, but not been there in a few years.

Polybush.co.uk is where my allegiance rests now
"The Dark Wob. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious."
LynehamHerc

Post by LynehamHerc »

SiC wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:22 pm
chadders wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:26 pm And I reckon the choke is wrong for the year. :D
According to the Moss catalogue it is. Supposed to be the rubber bumper, so 1975 on. Possibly got changed in the past because the original broke and this happened to be on the shelf? Or because it's a bit easier to turn?

Given mine is a late 1974 model (registered August '74) and one of the last of the chrome (Sept '74 rubber began), it's also plausible that they had already changed to the new style on these remaining run-out ones.

Who knows! 🤷‍♂️

It's staying though as I like it. Certainly doesn't feel modern repro either.
Mines registered Nov 74 and had one of these fitted, for a time, when the old circular one needed a clothes peg. It could have been manufactured before yours though and spent longer in the showroom. As you say who knows and I can't be arsed looking up production dates which wouldn't conclusively prove anything anyway.
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Midget had one of those fancy choke controls too.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
LynehamHerc

Post by LynehamHerc »

I suspect that they were the only replacement that you could get at one time.
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

Funny thing is, got the round choke knob on my Sprite but the "twist to lock" function still works right. It's the original from '69 too, with the knob repaired using Araldite
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag