Claim's Cabbies Corner. Kill crazy rampage imminent.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Warren t claim

Re: Claim's Cabbies Corner. HACK LIVES MATTER

Post by Warren t claim »

insignia1.PNG
insignia1.PNG (201.55 KiB) Viewed 1012 times
This picture of my old Insignia popped up on my Google pics memories for today.

Although the engine was a bit tappety, it never let me down for the month or so I had it and even took me from Merseyside to Gatwick and back without any problems. IIRC, it was very comfy with a slick 6 speed box but suffered from Vauxhall specification problems, keep fit rear windows and no Bluetooth or even an aux socket.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Hope you don’t mind me posting this here but friend Martin told me of an event which happened in his taxi days of the 1980’s. On the night shift, even in city centres back then, there were no, or very few, 24-hour staffed filling stations. Instead, some had a system whereby the motorist pre-paid by feeding the pump a banknote and the pump would vend the value of fuel. A bit like the card machine pumps of today.
One night, a driver short of fuel put a fiver in (remember this was the 1980’s). As the pump would automatically stop once the value of fuel dispensed was reached, there was no need for the operator to ease off the pump. Except on this occasion the pump kept on going - so he got a full tank of petrol for a fiver. Then he got on the radio to the office and before long there was a line of private hire cabs queuing up for their free fuel!
Nothing ever came of it, dishonest though it was, and all the other drivers gave the original one some cash for the call.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

fried onions wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:54 pm Hope you don’t mind me posting this here but friend Martin told me of an event which happened in his taxi days of the 1980’s. On the night shift, even in city centres back then, there were no, or very few, 24-hour staffed filling stations. Instead, some had a system whereby the motorist pre-paid by feeding the pump a banknote and the pump would vend the value of fuel. A bit like the card machine pumps of today.
One night, a driver short of fuel put a fiver in (remember this was the 1980’s). As the pump would automatically stop once the value of fuel dispensed was reached, there was no need for the operator to ease off the pump. Except on this occasion the pump kept on going - so he got a full tank of petrol for a fiver. Then he got on the radio to the office and before long there was a line of private hire cabs queuing up for their free fuel!
Nothing ever came of it, dishonest though it was, and all the other drivers gave the original one some cash for the call.
Something similar still goes on today. Occasionally a filling station will have a pump that dispenses at normal speed but clocks up the price at a snail's pace. I managed to brim my tank for a tenner last time and needless to say, I ensured that a message was sent to other drivers.
treehugger
The only technocripple in the village!

Post by treehugger »

That's it, don't let the government get their bit lol.
Remember a smartly dressed business type in a council car park insist I take his ticket as he was leaving, "don't let the bastards get any money out of you".
As I suspected I was right about everything.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

Just returned home from work to find my new UK driving licence has arrived. About fucking time too!

Hopefully, I'll be back doing what I enjoy in six weeks.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

Hurrah, the WFH WORKSHY have finally got round to your envelope stuck at the oldest box that got boxed in after they cleverly added mail trolleys so they couldn't process them in order.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

Hmmm... Upon closer inspection of the back, I've noticed that every HGV ticket I had has been removed. I assume that if I do my CPC and medical they'll come back?
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

Warren t claim wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:29 pm Hmmm... Upon closer inspection of the back, I've noticed that every HGV ticket I had has been removed. I assume that if I do my CPC and medical they'll come back?
Although I'll miss the ability to glance at the full deck of Aces on the back of my licence (less PSV), I feel a severe sense of trepidation at the thought of sending my licence back to the Department of Very Lost Applications. The fuckers only sent my licence back, I'm still waiting for my identity documents to be returned.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Warren t claim wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:29 pm Hmmm... Upon closer inspection of the back, I've noticed that every HGV ticket I had has been removed. I assume that if I do my CPC and medical they'll come back?
Wouldn't have thought so, they've fucked up at a guess, ring them?
Make sure whoever it is who needs to sight your license for so before you send it back though
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

DodgeRover wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:47 pm
Wouldn't have thought so, they've fucked up at a guess, ring them?
Make sure whoever it is who needs to sight your license for so before you send it back though
Although I'm in no hurry to get behind the wheel of a Scania anytime soon, the HGV medical is exactly the same as the taxi one so I thought I might as well kill two birds with one stone.