Pay monthly for extras

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Re: Pay monthly for extras

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

SiC wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:19 am we don't need electric windows, mirrors, air con or remote central locking.
Yes we do. They make motoring more pleasurable and easier.

Auto stop start is an answer to a question nobody asked. It saves virtually no fuel but shortens the life of the battery, starter motor and timing chain.
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

mercrocker wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:57 am I've driven enough old crap in my lifetime that cut out at traffic lights without paying for the fucking privilege.....
Thats exactly what me and the funky gibbon spoke of. We've all also likely had cars that popped and banged and dint have to pay for it either!
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

The Reverend Bluejeans wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:14 pm
SiC wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:19 am we don't need electric windows, mirrors, air con or remote central locking.
Yes we do. They make motoring more pleasurable and easier.

Auto stop start is an answer to a question nobody asked. It saves virtually no fuel but shortens the life of the battery, starter motor and timing chain.
Electric windows I can do without but I agree with ac and remote locking. Since the demise of quarter light windows and modern aerodynamics means not much fresh air gets inside a car and can get stuffy with no ac.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

I do agree about the airflow thing but not to the extent of wanting aircon.....The W123 Merc I had was absolutely the best thing I've owned for airflow - great big eyeball dash vents that blew cold regardless of any heater setting. The W124 that followed it was useless because the aircon took the place of the fresh air trunking - it is no good being freezing cold if you still haven't got fresh air.

On the Focus the aircon does still work but I always prefer to wind down the back windows half-way, turn the airflow up to its miserable max and go with that. Dropping each front glass a half inch stops the buffeting.

Traffic I agree gives a different slant - I appreciate the aircon on those occasions but overall I try and avoid sitting in queues anyway, I'd sooner do another 25 miles and generally turn off as soon as I see queuing.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Aircon demists in winter too, even with the heater on hot. The air is chilled before the heater, which dries it as cold air can support less water vapour. You then get warm dry air from the heater rather than warm wet air.
Private signature, do not read
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

All this is all very well on a newish car. 15-20 years down the line (where I usually step in) things like aircon, electric windows and other electronic aids either simply don't work, perform inefficiently or require expensive repairs and prevent useage that would still be perfectly serviceable (or fixable) by manual means.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
Broccoli

Post by Broccoli »

I thought this was going to be a thread, where for a small monthly fee, we got to see Warranty Ts special photo album, that he keeps his cars and girls thread in…

On topic, I specifically looked for a classic with opening front quarter windows. Used to love it on my VW beetle. That said, it gets bloody hot and humid here in summer and one of the reasons the Subaru went, was the AC died and to fix it was more than the car was worth.

The Jag F Type R had subscription services offered for it, like remote start (for winter), car tracking amongst other things. Free for the first 6 months (certified used) and then you had to pay for it. I didn’t bother as there wasn’t anything that effected the performance. Bit creepy that Jag knew where the car was all the time though.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

Broccoli wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:42 am I thought this was going to be a thread, where for a small monthly fee, we got to see Warranty Ts special photo album, that he keeps his cars and girls thread in…

Be careful what you wish for.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
Jerzy Woking

Post by Jerzy Woking »

bub2006 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:38 pm
Electric windows I can do without but I agree with ac and remote locking. Since the demise of quarter light windows and modern aerodynamics means not much fresh air gets inside a car and can get stuffy with no ac.
My base model car has remote locking, electric windows and air con. I have manual door mirrors, and could happily do without the (front only) electric windows.

Air con is essential here, seeing as its at least 30°c for four months of the year.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

mercrocker wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:57 am I've driven enough old crap in my lifetime that cut out at traffic lights without paying for the fucking privilege.....
This is an especially joyful experience with an auto which cuts out on the over run, lift off throttle as you get to lights or a junction, it's clear and fuck it's stopped again...