Pay monthly for extras

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Asimo

Re: Pay monthly for extras

Post by Asimo »

I dislike autostop in that BMW because of the delay in anything happening: when the go pedal is pressed after a stop it takes a noticeable time for the engine to start and then for the transmission to engage before the car starts to move. In manual cars it is less annoying because the engine only stops if you go into neutral and restarts as soon as a gear is selected so there is no additional delay. With this automatic BMW, and the even more hesitant DSG Volkswagen it has replaced, it is the lack of instant response to the go pedal after a stop that I dislike.
Last edited by Asimo on Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

I dislike stop/start as it's utterly pointless as well as annoying when you want to pull away at the time you choose.
Private signature, do not read
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

I just see it as a needless complication brought in to eke another fraction of a % improvement on the ridiculous fuel economy stats.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

I dislike burning money unnecessarily. An engine running when stationary is doing zero mpg.

The VW DSG I drove with start/stop restarted the engine when the car in front pulled off.

Never found an issue with the quarter a second of delay before an engine restarted either.

Needless complexity? Well we don't need electric windows, mirrors, air con or remote central locking. All adds complexity...
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

When we bought our Up! it cost more to have Stop/Start, a couple of hundred quid I think. That's a lot of petrol, especially then.
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

I had stop/start on a Polo breadvan, all it did was blow the fuse that ran the radio & heated rear window. So about as much use as the modern versions.
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

SiC wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:44 am I've never understood why people hate stop/start so much. Everyone I've ever used has restarted the engine before needing to move off.

Our A4 did 210k miles with it never disabled and still on the original starter+battery by the time it was scrapped.
My 67 plate skoda octavia 1.4 dsg had it and it was really slow at waking up for some reason so I tended to have it switched off. The quashqai was the same yet the mini countryman was really quick off the ball to fire back up.
Last edited by bub2006 on Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

Hooli wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:44 am I had stop/start on a Polo breadvan, all it did was blow the fuse that ran the radio & heated rear window. So about as much use as the modern versions.
That was the formel E? Pushed gear pever against a switch if I recall right. Mind you we had this discussion a while back about stop start. Same as the pops and bangs map that chavs tend to have fitted nowadays.
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

bub2006 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:11 am
Hooli wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:44 am I had stop/start on a Polo breadvan, all it did was blow the fuse that ran the radio & heated rear window. So about as much use as the modern versions.
That was the formel E? Pushed gear pever against a switch if I recall right. Mind you we had this discussion a while back about stop start. Same as the pops and bangs map that chavs tend to have fitted nowadays.
Aye it was one of them, had a switch on the dash to activate it but all it did was blow the fuse. Book said it'd start as the clutch was depressed etc just like modern systems.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

I've driven enough old crap in my lifetime that cut out at traffic lights without paying for the fucking privilege.....
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......