Crash! Bang! Wallop!

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
DodgeRover

Re: Crash! Bang! Wallop!

Post by DodgeRover »

There been a couple of videos posted in the past of people on the M25 trying to do exactly that and ending up running on the brake disc, sparks everywhere and obviously not fully in control. Better advice would be smart* motorways are dangerous
CLINT
Woke as fuck

Post by CLINT »

Hooli wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:45 am
DodgeRover wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:21 am
Eddie Honda wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:06 am #biggerdope

No damage from driving on a flat for what a couple of miles at 5 or 10mph or apart from a lot of damage then when it shreds or comes off the rim and rips of the brakes or suspension, obviously the tyre will be beyond repair and so will the rim!
First thing I thought was 'bollocks it'll ruin a probably fixable tyre'.
Better than dying though surely
OMG U OK HUN?
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

CLINT wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:16 am
Hooli wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:45 am
DodgeRover wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:21 am

No damage from driving on a flat for what a couple of miles at 5 or 10mph or apart from a lot of damage then when it shreds or comes off the rim and rips of the brakes or suspension, obviously the tyre will be beyond repair and so will the rim!
First thing I thought was 'bollocks it'll ruin a probably fixable tyre'.
Better than dying though surely
Depends on the price of your tyres?
Private signature, do not read
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

A long time ago I changed the o/s rear tyre on my MGB on the hard shoulder of the Tinsley viaduct on the M1.
It was pretty scary with the artics flying past but that helped me concentrate.
In my view they're stupid rather than smart motorways, just a bodge to try and allow for the lack of investment in the roads.

Brought to you from the 20th century.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Yeah I had to change a OSR wheel on a LR whilst parked on the hard shoulder of the M4 years ago, I concur it's not fun & smart motorways are bloody stupid.
Private signature, do not read
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

CLINT wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:16 am Better than dying though surely
What about a sudden loss of control caused by a tyre dropping off the rim/ brake or suspension failure and the vehicle swerving into passing traffic doing 70mph? I doubt most people would slow to a few mph as that would seem to be just as dangerous as being stationary - the vintage car fatality on the London to Brighton for example and they were probably doing 20mph or better.

In an ideal world they should make the people who thought smart motorways were a good idea experience this.
CLINT
Woke as fuck

Post by CLINT »

DodgeRover wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:15 am
What about a sudden loss of control caused by a tyre dropping off the rim/ brake or suspension failure and the vehicle swerving into passing traffic doing 70mph? I doubt most people would slow to a few mph as that would seem to be just as dangerous as being stationary - the vintage car fatality on the London to Brighton for example and they were probably doing 20mph or better.

In an ideal world they should make the people who thought smart motorways were a good idea experience this.
70? Who said 70?? If I have a flat on a smart motorway then I'm driving at low speed til it's safe to change it, wether I fuck the tyre or not, can't see how thats unreasonable. If a truck hits me while I'm doing 20 then it's better than if it were to hit me while I'm stationary surely
OMG U OK HUN?
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

I read it as the passing traffic was doing 70, the car with a puncture was doing far less.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

What is it with the Welsh? NOBODY HAS TWIGGED THAT THIS IS A JOB FOR SPECIAL BRANCH YET

BenHar
Banned Grinch!

Post by BenHar »

CLINT wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:53 pm
DodgeRover wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:15 am

70? Who said 70?? If I have a flat on a smart motorway then I'm driving at low speed til it's safe to change it, wether I fuck the tyre or not, can't see how thats unreasonable. If a truck hits me while I'm doing 20 then it's better than if it were to hit me while I'm stationary surely
Is doing 5mph in the "live" lane any safer than being stationary?

Ben