What's the most trivial reason you've scrapped a car for?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
AutoshiteBoy

Re: What's the most trivial reason you've scrapped a car for?

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

Hooli wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:47 am I scraped a Volvo 340 because it deserved it. Pile of shite wanted to die & refused to work for more than ten mins.
I hated those Volvos and likely as not, the owners were cunts.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

I don't think I've ever scrapped a car lightly....It has always been absolutely, comprehensively and dangerously fucked in every way before I'd consider stopping using it.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

AutoshiteBoy wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:51 am
Hooli wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:47 am I scraped a Volvo 340 because it deserved it. Pile of shite wanted to die & refused to work for more than ten mins.
Me too, they were utter piles of shit with no redeeming features. Well except for comfy seats, as long as you didn't try to go around a corner.
Private signature, do not read
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

Hooli wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:12 pm
AutoshiteBoy wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:51 am
Me too, they were utter piles of shit with no redeeming features. Well except for comfy seats, as long as you didn't try to go around a corner.
Hooli hasn't stopped being a cunt and I'm a collosal one

SubPar

Post by SubPar »

I've only scrapped two cars, ever.

The first was my first car, in 2013. A 1997 Peugeot 306 XLdt I'd owned for three years. The engine went bang in a very terminal way, and being on 179k the car was basically worthless due to 306s being ten a penny then. It was replaced two days later by a much newer and lower mileage HDi estate for £800. I still regret selling that HDi estate. I mapped it to 120hp and it went like fuck while seemingly running on thin air.

The second was that red mk8 Honda Civic last year that had a rear axle held in by hopes and dreams, plus dodgy clutch hydraulics. I bought it for £500, it scrapped for over £300 and I sold a few bits off it. Admittedly I only drove it for three days!

Everything else, I've managed to punt on to some other stupid cunt. Mostly at a huge loss, but still...
Old Wrinkly
Hubnutting Double Cunt!

Post by Old Wrinkly »

My W reg. Renault Clio when the current mot expires, remove my car site offers £280 scrap.
Jerzy Woking

Post by Jerzy Woking »

Couldn't sell a Peugeot 104 I had. It was very good condition in and out, but had some electrical issues which stopped it from starting. Scrapper wanted £80 to take it.

So I towed it to a local lay-by and left it there with the keys in the ignition. Was still there after a couple of weeks, and hadn't been set on fire like everything else. Felt guilty about doing that.

Also scrapped a mates Series 1 Land-rover that he had left on my drive for a couple of year. Didn't feel guilty over that, because it was rotten as a pear underneath, and only just made it onto the scrappers flatbed with out snapping into bits.
brandersnatch
I scored very low on the autie test. I’m cheerful, happy, confident, like meeting new people, chatty and largely sociable. What the fuck am I doing on this forum?

Post by brandersnatch »

I scrapped (well gave it to the fire station to practice cutting people out of) a fully functioning Maestro as I couldn’t sell it and I had the hump with it hanging around.
I did see it in the fire station car park with the roof on the floor beside it. Didn’t feel bad.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

I may scrap that 147 if no one buys it. It would be criminal considering it has a full ticket. Scrap money can't be much less than it owes me.
I'd insure it but I can't remember who I insured the A8 with to swap it over and I'll be fucked if I'm buying another policy for it to just sit there.
I'll give it a weeks stay of execution.
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

I scrapped a tidy Alfa 75(inline 4 sadly) because I couldn't get the clutch out! took fucking days and when I did, the new one was totally different so in a mood, I called the scrappers and they hi-hab'd it away Sold a perfect Rover 100 GSI to a guy that knocked on the door because I'd bought it for the hated step-daughter who left it on the drive for 18 months totally untouched. Got £30 I paid £600 for it from a neighbour as it was lovely and had only done 28000 miles from new and had a new engine when it had done less than 5000 miles under warranty.

When I was a 'proper' biker, I used to buy a shed' each winter and scrap it in the spring (winters in the north were hard!) scrapped the first (a mk2 Cortina 1500 GT estate) because the brakes used to fade away when it got hot. I knew exactly why (the brake pipe had been run way too close to the exhaust manifold) but couldn't be arsed to fix it!

Was seriously sad when I scrapped my Austin 2200 but the big ends were knocking, the mains were growling and it smoked about 100 a day. It was proper fucked, but it had been a great car and cost me £70 from a private seller.