What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
8BAK465

Re: What did you do today?

Post by 8BAK465 »

chadders wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:44 am Yeah - I was a bit surprised as it was bare-metalled and then rust-proofed after being painted.

The guy who said it was the main guy's assistant and a bit of a miserable twat but I think that the salt air has a big effect, judging by how quickly things go rusty here - we're only about 100 yards from the sea.

He may have been referring to potential rust in the seams etc.of the second hand panels, a lot of which were used as they were/are unavailable new, where there initially appeared to be no rust but it seems to 'leach out' from concealed areas over the years. I've just had this with the passenger door which is exacerbated by it being designed to allow water in which then supposedly leaves by drainholes in the bottom so the door is always full of moist sea air.
Point taken on the coast salty air and metal dont live in harmony :cry:
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

I look at some of the more modern cars on AS that live up in Scotland and how utterly rusty to fuck they are. Even stuff like wings and doors have gone crusty after 12-15yrs, let alone suspension parts. Yet the exact same models down here seem to have a fraction of the rust.
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

SiC wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:51 am I look at some of the more modern cars on AS that live up in Scotland and how utterly rusty to fuck they are. Even stuff like wings and doors have gone crusty after 12-15yrs, let alone suspension parts. Yet the exact same models down here seem to have a fraction of the rust.
I guess we are no different to the States?

Theres areas over their I wouldnt touch a car from :roll: but areas I would ;)

Ironically around these parts I wouldnt touch a car from Tewkesbury/Ross on Wye as it could of once been a boat :roll:

I have to admit I was wrong in the way I always thought the "Right" Underseal was the way to go?

But having seen horror stories under it :shock:

Noted that Mr Mustie1 of you tube fame has great sucess keeping vehicles rust free in the US Rust Belt that is New England by using oily fluid that stays wet and sticky rather than something that dries ;)
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

I'm now using Ramsoil which is like that.

I'll let you know in a few years how well it worked :)
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

SiC wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:55 pm
Hooli wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:27 pm Now why the hell when I repeatedly searched that same forum for such a thing couldn't I find one that worked after V2?
https://lmgtfy.com/?q=phpbb+auto+resize+images&s=g

First link too. :lol:
Now run that search last April...

I think I got the same thread but it only worked on older versions of the software at the time.
Private signature, do not read
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

What a factory does works in a flow-production cost-conscious large scale operation. If we are paying for skilled labour at a more artisan level then yes, find a better way! This includes finding out how water ingress occurs and stopping that happening again, or at least routing acceptable ingress a different way.

Despite living in coastal conditions (the natural habitat of a leisure vehicle wherever it happens to actually reside) none of the work I had done on my van 9 years ago has needed doing again, except for the sliding door which the last bodyshop did on a cheap basis because I had run out of money having other stuff done.....It might have gone a couple more years but would only have got worse. I won't have the money in a couple of years which is why all this is getting done now.

Modern campers don't appeal to me at all so I am quite happy to pump money into the Volkswagen and keep hold it for a few more years. I am not interested in the VW scene but the inflated value of old vans makes it very difficult to justify replacing it with another. Unfortunately the scene tax has spread to other makes of van, too.....
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

mercrocker wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:29 pm What a factory does works in a flow-production cost-conscious large scale operation. If we are paying for skilled labour at a more artisan level then yes, find a better way! This includes finding out how water ingress occurs and stopping that happening again, or at least routing acceptable ingress a different way.

Despite living in coastal conditions (the natural habitat of a leisure vehicle wherever it happens to actually reside) none of the work I had done on my van 9 years ago has needed doing again, except for the sliding door which the last bodyshop did on a cheap basis because I had run out of money having other stuff done.....It might have gone a couple more years but would only have got worse. I won't have the money in a couple of years which is why all this is getting done now.

Modern campers don't appeal to me at all so I am quite happy to pump money into the Volkswagen and keep hold it for a few more years. I am not interested in the VW scene but the inflated value of old vans makes it very difficult to justify replacing it with another. Unfortunately the scene tax has spread to other makes of van, too.....
I don't have storage for mine as it's too high to fit in the garages or enclosed carport so it's under its own carport which is open all around. I bought some stainless steel hubcaps for it which went rusty after one winter despite the fact it never goes on salted roads.

There's been quite a lot of talk on the VW forums about a significant drop in the price of campers and a few people seem to be breaking ones that not long ago would have been restored. How much truth there is in this I don't know and I haven't looked into as I expect to keep mine and then one of my sons will have it.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

91 quid hand soap. Oops.
20191112_190523.jpg
20191112_190523.jpg (3.56 MiB) Viewed 4292 times
Last of the chargers they had in store too
captain_70s

Post by captain_70s »

SiC wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:51 am I look at some of the more modern cars on AS that live up in Scotland and how utterly rusty to fuck they are. Even stuff like wings and doors have gone crusty after 12-15yrs, let alone suspension parts. Yet the exact same models down here seem to have a fraction of the rust.
Friends don't let friends buy Scottish cars... There is a reason the we repatriate Volvos from warmer climates.

Having said that my Dolly 1850 was a London car and that was rotten under the underseal. Spending a decade in Frinton-On-Sea likely didn't help.
1976 Triumph Dolomite 1850HL - Field based greenhouse.
1977 Triumph Dolomite 1300 - Lean green oil dripping machine.
1983 Triumph Acclaim L - Japanglish daily runner.
1989 Volvo 740GLE Estate - Mobile storage unit.