What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Re: What did you do today?

Post by LynehamHerc »

I reckon scrap it.

You'll never forget that at one stage it wasn't perfect.

Alternatively change the prescription of your specs if you wear them.

s-l300 (2).jpg
s-l300 (2).jpg (8.95 KiB) Viewed 509 times
Steveb

Post by Steveb »

Mot passed again for my Range Rover. Had it nearly 16 years now. Calipers and backplates need cleaning up-quite rusty. Also found out why air con stopped working-the drier is rusted through.

paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

The shite bike is up for sale again. Resprayed and a roof wrap.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220806-130820_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20220806-130820_Facebook.jpg (60.62 KiB) Viewed 486 times
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

I did some fairly major work on the Jag today... I fitted a new expansion bottle pressure cap! Turned up in the post this morning and in a fit of exuberence I dashed out to fit it. Of course, this will NOT be the reason it lost some water/coolant but it was cheap and the old one did (possibly) have a damaged seal...

As for always remembering it was once, less than perfect, I do eventually forget though I check over and over again that the fault has truly gone for a few months first. It is a right chore being me as I am fucking mental.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Like many on here, I have a cheap car eBay saved search. While I wanted a TT, this came up "locally" for £550. So I did a quick hit of the buy-it-now button before anyone else did.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195269718822

Despite it only being 30 miles away, it ended up being a 1hr45 round trip over the Mendips and back. Nice road though and a pleasant journey.

Current owner had his two sons use it over the last 8yrs. Youngest has gone travelling so they decided to get rid of it.
Paint work is absolutely shite. Looks like the lacquer is flaking off. Might attack it with some G30 or whatever that polishing compound is. No paper service history and the current owner has never done the cambelt. Last serviced 2yrs/12k ago. Also only one key. MOT is only 38 days away too.

On the plus side it drives really well and it even managed nearly 47mpg on the way back. Not bad from a petrol engine. No warning lights, brakes well and drives straight. Everything works bar the air conditioning. It's had an alternator recently and I think a new battery too.
The house was in a nice area just outside Frome and the chap was a honest guy who basically just wanted to get rid of an old unused car from his drive.

I don't think I did too badly in the current market for £550 buy-it-now. It's worth £280 scrap, so technically a £270 car?

My first Ford product that I've owned and it's a decent steer. Not very exciting but as a tool to save miles being racked up on the Civic running around locally and saving the Boxster getting dented, it will serve that perfectly.

I might treat it to an oil and filter change. Probably get it through an MOT first though.

It should tide me over until I find a reasonable TT that has been relatively looked after.
christine

Post by christine »

FFS don't start picking at little scabs before the mot !!!
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

No rust that I can see underneath. I might pick at the lacquer peel scabs though.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

I give it three days till it's spread around garage like the Dolomite
Private signature, do not read
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

SiC wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:12 pm Everything works bar the air conditioning.
Go on, were the words "regas", "needs" and "just" uttered?
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Eddie Honda wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:22 pm
SiC wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:12 pm Everything works bar the air conditioning.
Go on, were the words "regas", "needs" and "just" uttered?
I didn't actually ask about it. Instead, on the quick test drive to make sure it wasn't going to try killing me, he said his wife was worried that he hadn't told me and he needed to tell me that the air con didn't work - just in case I might not want it after knowing. 🤣

Apparently they didn't even bother trying and had no idea if it ever worked.

ATS Euromaster are doing £38 regas offer again. While it's tempting to, I probably need to get the Boxster re-gassed. Even if it's leaking out slowly over the space of a year.

The vacuum kits are tempting to DIY test myself. Or I take up Panhard65 offer of sticking it on his machine. (I really need to get my Boxster booked in and serviced really)