What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Re: What did you do today?

Post by Eddie Honda »

PhilA

Post by PhilA »

Nicely grounded cans right there. Nothing like filling a container that's sitting on carpet.
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag

Post by Guest »

I was talking to a mate yesterday evening. He's Mr fuel light roulette and had been in work totally oblivious to "Don't Panic about Fuel Shortage, but fill everything in sight just in case"
He had already driven to work on empty, no fuel at the first garage on his way home, but put some in at the little garage down the road. People were queuing there (having driven up from Bridgend where there was none).
Did he fill up? No,, stuck his usual £20 in which should last a few days.
dean36014

Post by dean36014 »

Finally finished bolting the necessary bits back on to start the bx after changing the head gasket. Bled injectors and it started first try! Hopefully this will cure the over pressurising of the coolant. Now to bolt all the intercooler parts on and run it for a while. Fingers crossed.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Clutch on the Bini now starting to smell when you boot it. I don't think it's got long left on it now.

I was going to scrap it/sell for spares and repairs but looking at alternatives, there is sweet feck all about. Even bloody boring stuff like early/mid 2000 5dr hatch Fords, Vauxhalls, Peugeot and the like are £1.5k to £2k. Barely any sub £1k vehicles about and they all appear completely fucked.

Basically it seems my options are:
- I sell the Mini for £500 and spend £1k on getting something else at £1.5k budget. Probably something very boring but admittedly cheaper to fix. But then inevitably spend money on something else.
- I spend £900 on the Mini to get the clutch and flywheel changed. Then probably need to spend £300 or so getting the other bits fixed. (Plus a fair bit more if the exhaust doesn't hold out)

😐
BusmansHoliday

Post by BusmansHoliday »

Today I continued with the rear brakes on the Matiz. Nothing really unexpected, well...
IMG_20210925_110123.jpg
IMG_20210925_110123.jpg (538.64 KiB) Viewed 1448 times
yes, that's a nail not a split pin holding the hubnut in.

I ordered a pair of new rear wheel cylinders, the n/s was showing signs of death..
IMG_20210925_115153.jpg
IMG_20210925_115153.jpg (394.23 KiB) Viewed 1448 times
we're steadily getting there !!
Eddie Honda

Post by Eddie Honda »

SiC wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:25 pm Basically it seems my options are:
- I sell the Mini for £500 and spend £1k on getting something else at £1.5k budget. Probably something very boring but admittedly cheaper to fix. But then inevitably spend money on something else.
- I spend £900 on the Mini to get the clutch and flywheel changed. Then probably need to spend £300 or so getting the other bits fixed. (Plus a fair bit more if the exhaust doesn't hold out)

😐
Third way. Get the bits and crack on. Now I know it's a tad easier, but the 106 clutch shat itself 3 days before my wedding and up in Newry. Drove it back without and picked up the parts on the way home. Got stuck straight into it on the drive and worked until late and restarted early doors. With a crap socket set and a couple of scissor jacks. Had it done just after lunch.

Sometimes even the slow man at work has to knuckle down and Nike it.

Just get the welder out on the zorst.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Eddie Honda wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:29 pm
SiC wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:25 pm Basically it seems my options are:

😐
Third way. Get the bits and crack on. Now I know it's a tad easier, but the 106 clutch shat itself 3 days before my wedding and up in Newry. Drove it back without and picked up the parts on the way home. Got stuck straight into it on the drive and worked until late and restarted early doors. With a crap socket set and a couple of scissor jacks. Had it done just after lunch.

Sometimes even the slow man at work has to knuckle down and Nike it.

Just get the welder out on the zorst.
This is no 106 clutch job though. If it was, I'd be getting stuck right into it by now. Or paid the couple hundred quid at a garage.

No, this is a transverse BMW clutch. Been watching a few videos on changing them and none of them make it look pleasurable. I think the easier option overall may actually be to pull the whole engine instead. Could potentially resolve the many oil leaks this engine has at the same time.

Book time iirc is around 9-10hrs. Local garage told me it's realistically a 1.5 day job on their ramp as usually ends up as a world of fighting rusty and seized bolts.

I do keep playing around in my mind about DIY it though. Tool wise I'll need to get heat (MAP torch probably), transmission jack and really could do with a transverse engine support. I think a right angle impact wrench will be handy too (been eyeing up Milwaukee M12 kit atm). DIY also give me the chance to sort other things like the fan pack resistor, top mount, CV boot, oil leaks and supercharger service.

I know I probably am capable of doing it, just it's a long job and the Dolomite (as ever) is in the way. Need to crack on with the Moggie tomorrow and try getting that sorted. Then speeding on with the Dolomite offside welding.
Eddie Honda

Post by Eddie Honda »

I could of done with a few extra tools at the time too, but necessity resulted in improvisation instead. Up until then I'd done plenty of TIS Leyland shit clutches and RWD, but not boxes stuck on the end - newfangled tosh.
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

20210925_161616.jpg
20210925_161616.jpg (607.1 KiB) Viewed 1414 times
Broke down the walls and stuff that was in the way at the back of the garage.
20210925_163034.jpg
20210925_163034.jpg (345.88 KiB) Viewed 1414 times
Cleared the wood and metal roof away, got the lawnmower out (that was the objective, to cut the grass).
Renault damage? Better than I thought. I had to bend the antenna straight.
Battery is probably flat, need to buy another charger.

Phil
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag