Heatwave 76 behind the scenes ;)

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Warren t claim

Re: The Last One!

Post by Warren t claim »

Jerzy Woking wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:27 pm

I bought it because it had an AM/ LW push button radio, 13 inch, four spoke RS alloys on it, and a remote change fitted to the gear lever tunnel. The gate on this was so narrow getting any gear was a lottery. Not that it mattered, as the clutch would slip like a bastard without the gentlest of touches on the accelerator.

The non remote gear change was a joy to use, a bit like a 4 speed Transit.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Re: The Last One!

Post by mercrocker »

Ford gearchanges of this period were superb, especially when compared to contemporary BMC issue.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
8BAK465

Re: Heatwave 76 behind the scenes ;)

Post by 8BAK465 »

So ive changed the title of this thread and it will run concurrently with the other thread ;)

So how did this all come about? Its Childhood Memories arnt they always :roll:

When I was 5 years old in 1977 (now you all know my age :lol: )

Life seemed magical :mrgreen:

We lived on a council estate in Birkenhead and I was obsessed with cars even then,by 5 I knew what most cars were and as much as Mum wanted me praying with dolls I was asking for dinky cars for Christmas :lol:

Cant remember who made me them but I even had 5 year old sized overalls :lol:

I think they were made out of worn out but thoroughly washed oil overalls with locked in oil stains.

And a threadbare sweater i wore over them :lol:

Anyway when Mum passed away we found some old albums mainly of me from the summer of 77 where I was sat on the ground in my overalls in front of a lock up as my sisters then boyfriend was changing a clutch on a Mk1 Cortina GT.

I grew up with them but once I started buying cars myself i at first bypassed them then the prices went crazy and I could never afford one :(

With Mum passing it became one of those things were I thought if I dont do it now i never will :cry:

And with the way we are all being dictated to now there's not much time left before we are forced out of our cars so its now or never.

Then as i was looking at those old photos i thought wouldn't it be nice if i had a 70s style photo album how photos used to be and as if I was buying a car back then for hundreds rather than thousands :?

A world devoid of Interwebs,where your drinks came from the Alpine Man,Chips came in newspaper and where you patched stuff up and made good and just used and had to look after an old banger ;)

So the other thread will be Cine Cameras for Video and Instamatic 110s for photos and here i may just tell the truth of what's happening in the real world now today with this hunk of junk I have purchased.

I decided to start the thread in 76 to give a background and hopefully it'll be a useable car by 1977 (next year :lol: )

Anyway back in 1977 (when I was once cute)

Enjoy :mrgreen:
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Ahh the days cars fitted in garages.
Private signature, do not read
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

So a behind the scenes update

As I go through little things its became apparent the car is a little more rotten than i had hoped :cry:

But its not a basket case,sadly the dirt was hiding some bodge ups but as it hadn't really been on the road since the 70s the bodge ups had stood still but now its a race to stabilise them before winter sets in.

My plans will be to grind off paint where needed and treat the rust and red oxide and a tidy blow over.

Back in the 70s it looks like it had a cheap respray and its reacted with what was underneath it :(

Then its lifted all layers in some areas to bare metal so its solid but at this point has surface rust if I can get my skates on it can be halted and saved but for this winter it wont look pretty :?

The guy who bought it who was a mechanic had it in the corner of his unit since the 70s he passed away and somebody bought it from his estate to stop it being scrapped but they had no interest in it they just bought it to save its fate.

Then 2011/12 there about's the guy I bought it from bought it.

He stored it outside badly for a few years then stored it in a dry barn for 8 years but that barstuard :x never washed it before storing it :twisted:

so as a result some of the damage lays at his feet :roll:

Thing is I shouldn't of had to do now needs doing because of his incompetence and stupidity :evil:

I could of waited around for a nicer one but think I would rather save this one,it is a genuine survivor and needs that second chance its been waiting for since 1977

But when you think of it in the present time the rot it does have isn't that bad considering its 57 years old :shock:

Meanwhile see you back in 1976 my Findus crispy pancakes are going cold :lol:
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Hooli wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:20 am Ahh the days cars fitted in garages.
Yup!

The estate is still there and now has concrete outdoor spaces on the original garage plots so plan on going there to recreate the pic next year ;)

Cortina is now under a cover I sat looking at the shape under the cover last night and thought bloody hell that's narrow :o

And couldn't work out why the cover is as baggy as a jumper your nan would knit :lol:

Then I realised

A Cortina was a large car back then now its not so a large cover swamps it!
In fact its a XL cover originally bought for the yellow mustang

So i think i need a medium cover or a proper one made classic car sized :roll:
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Crispy pancakes! I remember them being advertised on the tele, never had then as they were too expensive and my mum doesn't like processed/ pre made stuff.
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

I'd get a tailored cover, there the only ones I've not seen flap about and damage the paint.
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

DodgeRover wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:46 am Crispy pancakes! I remember them being advertised on the tele, never had then as they were too expensive and my mum doesn't like processed/ pre made stuff.
:lol: I wanted them for years, finally tried them and what a disappointment.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

Hooli wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:33 am I'd get a tailored cover, there the only ones I've not seen flap about and damage the paint.
I got a really good outdoor one for the MGB from these people:

https://www.classicadditions.com/car-co ... gL-zfD_BwE