Stupid questions about motorised conveyances

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Re: Stupid questions about motorised conveyances

Post by bub2006 »

Just to clarify about welding,it's outer sill has a 20p sized spot of rust but still solid on driver side and a bit bigger patch outer sill passenger side. Again it's solid so may be better to treat it before it gets worse.
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

Hooli wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:42 pm The right thing with your luck or for anyone else?

I'd do the same, especially as you've got a big pile of spares littering the garden.
Even my luck seems alright on the van front. The spares van has been cut into 4 pieces and scrapped so the spares are now in the shed and the body panels are under the shed overhang. The wing is getting swapped over soon too. Might actually do that Thursday so it won't look dented.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Aye this van seems to be doing ok for ya.
Private signature, do not read
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

It's been to a different country as well as Lincolnshire which may as well be another world in some areas.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Part of its appeal, to be honest!

#alwaysayellabelly
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

bub2006 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:42 pm Just to clarify about welding,it's outer sill has a 20p sized spot of rust but still solid on driver side and a bit bigger patch outer sill passenger side. Again it's solid so may be better to treat it before it gets worse.
27836361_10159929920090481_45000977_o.jpg
27836361_10159929920090481_45000977_o.jpg (622.92 KiB) Viewed 203 times
160k is nothing on a motor if looked after a bit, something like that should be 250k capable. As for the rot just sort it properly once and treat the bits inside too before sealing it back up. I saved that thing ^ in 2017, he'd already had years, owed him nothing and was worth scrap value. It's saving grace was the banana engine and mechanics that had been kept on top of.

The masochist did 15k in it last year :shock: Since 2017 if buying end of life campers he'd have maybe been onto his third by now?
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

This van has near on full service history and I change oil every 3-4k. It's the RHY 90bhp 8v HDI so pre dmf and coded injectors. Doesn't even have an intercooler but that may be getting fitted. Is remapped though so around 130bhp. Not mapped for power,more for mid range torque. I'd think it could see in excess of 300k,many taxis with the same engine did that easy enough in the 406. My plan is to sort the exterior of the sills,inject cavity wax into the inner sills too. Most tricky part will be the bubbling on the rear quarter just behind the door and above the wheel arch. I've no problem with sealing the sills with stone guard or similar externally too. External aesthetics doesn't bother me too much providing it's mechanically reliable. 15k in an old LDV is impressive. They weren't the most refined! I've done nearly 10k in 5 months in the partner.
I do need to find someone who can weld though.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

bub2006 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:34 pm This van has near on full service history and I change oil every 3-4k. It's the RHY 90bhp 8v HDI so pre dmf and coded injectors. Doesn't even have an intercooler but that may be getting fitted. Is remapped though so around 130bhp. Not mapped for power,more for mid range torque. I'd think it could see in excess of 300k,many taxis with the same engine did that easy enough in the 406. My plan is to sort the exterior of the sills,inject cavity wax into the inner sills too. Most tricky part will be the bubbling on the rear quarter just behind the door and above the wheel arch. I've no problem with sealing the sills with stone guard or similar externally too. External aesthetics doesn't bother me too much providing it's mechanically reliable. 15k in an old LDV is impressive. They weren't the most refined! I've done nearly 10k in 5 months in the partner.
Even less refined as he could never find the source of all the leaks so I forced him to remove the front carpet/sound deadening. It was so full of water that it took two of us to drag it out and it's never been refitted.

Definitely try and keep it then, my mums NAD 306 was on circa 283k and never been to bits when Dodgy Tom/CLINT drove it into deep water and bent the rods. :( He has had it running since tho!

An intercooler may well be a good idea if it's been mapped. When towing on long uphill stretches the exhaust manifold temperatures may be getting rather high, anything that helps to stop that can't hurt?
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

Scruffy Bodger wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:30 pm
bub2006 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:34 pm This van has near on full service history and I change oil every 3-4k. It's the RHY 90bhp 8v HDI so pre dmf and coded injectors. Doesn't even have an intercooler but that may be getting fitted. Is remapped though so around 130bhp. Not mapped for power,more for mid range torque. I'd think it could see in excess of 300k,many taxis with the same engine did that easy enough in the 406. My plan is to sort the exterior of the sills,inject cavity wax into the inner sills too. Most tricky part will be the bubbling on the rear quarter just behind the door and above the wheel arch. I've no problem with sealing the sills with stone guard or similar externally too. External aesthetics doesn't bother me too much providing it's mechanically reliable. 15k in an old LDV is impressive. They weren't the most refined! I've done nearly 10k in 5 months in the partner.
Even less refined as he could never find the source of all the leaks so I forced him to remove the front carpet/sound deadening. It was so full of water that it took two of us to drag it out and it's never been refitted.

Definitely try and keep it then, my mums NAD 306 was on circa 283k and never been to bits when Dodgy Tom/CLINT drove it into deep water and bent the rods. :( He has had it running since tho!

An intercooler may well be a good idea if it's been mapped. When towing on long uphill stretches the exhaust manifold temperatures may be getting rather high, anything that helps to stop that can't hurt?
125-130bhp is ok without an intercooler. The next step up on remapping is 155bhp but intercooler highly recommended at that as well as a decat but I'm decatting this soon anyway. Easy enough job to do,just fit an inlet manifold and intercooler from an rhz 110 2.0 HDI. They never was fitted in the Berlingo/partner but there's room for an intercooler as the 1.6 HDI in later ones had one. I couldn't really replace it with something half decent with what it would sell for,circa a grand so it's staying and I'll be it's last owner. I'd like to see 300k on the clock.
May invest in an egt and boost gauge for it and manual boost control as these didn't have anything electronic on the 90bhp.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

bub2006 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:26 pm
125-130bhp is ok without an intercooler. The next step up on remapping is 155bhp but intercooler highly recommended at that as well as a decat but I'm decatting this soon anyway. Easy enough job to do,just fit an inlet manifold and intercooler from an rhz 110 2.0 HDI. They never was fitted in the Berlingo/partner but there's room for an intercooler as the 1.6 HDI in later ones had one. I couldn't really replace it with something half decent with what it would sell for,circa a grand so it's staying and I'll be it's last owner. I'd like to see 300k on the clock.
May invest in an egt and boost gauge for it and manual boost control as these didn't have anything electronic on the 90bhp.
IMG_2805_zpse430d264.jpg
IMG_2805_zpse430d264.jpg (175.16 KiB) Viewed 162 times
You could always do it properly? That was a snug fit but we got it in there 8-)