Shitty, difficult jobs on cars

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Re: Shitty, difficult jobs on cars

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

Almost anything on an E46 is of a massive cuntitude.
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

Focus passenger side headlight is a bit of a twat because the battery is behind the lamp unit and is a bitch to get at. Not as bad as Renaults of that era though. 2 pigs of jobs spring to my mind that I've done were the spark plug change on an omega mv6. Passenger side bank,rear plug is underneath a rat's nest of wiring and the Peugeot 406 brake servo. Citroen C4 Picasso diesel is an engine out job to do a lot of jobs because it's so tight in the bay.
One other pain that's just come to me was a mates Chrysler PT cruiser auxiliary belt. Engine dropped on one side to get enough clearance to remove the fucking belt.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

Land Rovers and having to remove the entire body from the chassis to change a turbo must be right up there with one of the most cuntish things in vehicle design ever?

For me personally, changing the bias valve spring on a 405 was the most twattish job I've had to do in ages, talk about fiddly. Either that or drop the whole back axle off the car and do it the easy* way.
AMCrebel
Officially Not Quite Totally Useless

Post by AMCrebel »

Scruffy Bodger wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:13 pm Land Rovers and having to remove the entire body from the chassis to change a turbo must be right up there with one of the most cuntish things in vehicle design ever?

For me personally, changing the bias valve spring on a 405 was the most twattish job I've had to do in ages, talk about fiddly. Either that or drop the whole back axle off the car and do it the easy* way.
Good point - Disco 3 like mine is like that - also the crossover pipe between the two sides of exhausts which runs over the gearbag - although legend has it there are some keyhole surgeons who can do it without lifting the body off.

The KV6 thermostat is a fairly cunty design - officially you have to remove the inlet fannymolds - so new gaskets, but to do that you need to take the fuel rails to bits - and then you need new 'o' rings for those.

There is an alternative keyhole method but that involves having 7 tiny hands and removing the throttle body. All for a thermostat that is made of shite in a chocolate plastic housing with bog paper for sealing rings. The cunts. The diesel stats stick open but are such a pig to change that the common fix is a Renault one in one of the hoses.
2005 Land Rover Discovery SE Manual
2003 Mercedes E320 Estate
1968 AMC Rebel SST Convertible
1967 AMC Rebel SST Convertible (for parts)
1994 Fleetwood Colchester 1850 EB

Hoping for roffle win :)
christine

Post by christine »

1.9 td VW T4 glowplugs .. every one is a cunt to get at . Someone on the T4 forum did a " How to..." thread on it . These tools for this one ...these tools for the next ,etc .I don't mind doing it now ,but it still takes an hour and a half or more .
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

I just had to do glow plugs in a modern Transit and it is a manifold off job to get at them. It isn't just modern cars that are bastards remember Jag V12 plugs and that fucker you have to take the air con compressor off to get at. There are so many shit jobs on moderns now you could fill a book.
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Filling up the car with petrol. The TT took just over £85 the other day.
Asimo

Post by Asimo »

SiC wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:07 pm Filling up the car with petrol. The TT took just over £85 the other day.
Blimey. Think of all the mig-wire £85 buys!
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

Several shitty jobs can be put down to the makers having RHD as an afterthought. The clutch cable exiting the bulkhead right behind the brake servo on the original Fiat Panda being a case in point.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

Removing the starter on my Phase 1 Pug 305 1.5 petrol was a cunt of a job. I looked in the Haynes manual only to discover that they didn't even show how to do that job. I was so outraged that I rang Haynes to complain. The guy on the phone didn't believe me until I told him to fetch a copy.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.